IGNORED

Yet another device for Atari 8 bit

alsp

SIO2SD type device with a built in menu for images and a reset button?

SDrive mini?

You right, it is SDrive-ARM:

• SDrive ported to ARM platform,
  • in small case that can be inserted directly to Atari without any cables,
  • with capacitive buttons,
  • possibility for extensions (all pins in SIO connected to ARM, so for example simulation of cassette recorder also possible)
  • With 3D printed case,
  • Fully open source.

PS: Right now I'm preparing github repository for sources (will publish link today later).

PPS: And for a while little bit more photos:

post-22355-0-79092100-1487065056_thumb.jpg

post-22355-0-29370100-1487065074_thumb.jpg

post-22355-0-53508800-1487065092_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsp
  • Like 22

Very nice!

If I recall correctly, compared to SIO2SD, SDrive has some limitations: short filenames displayed (apart the one selected) and only 4 disk floppy disks attached (Alternate Reality, The Dark Crystal... need more than 4 disks).

Firmware/loader will be improved?

Firmware/loader will be improved?

There is really no problems with firmware (there are a lot of free space in RAM/ROM), but about loader, I'm not sure - I'm not an expert in 6502 assembler, and if there are any volunteer who can make required modifications it can be done faster and easily.

• Like 1

Good idea, but....... what about pass through?

I've think about this feature, but decide to skip it to keep device as small as possible...

But to do this we need just another box (with male jack on opposite side with female),make longer ends at female connectors, + add one diode.

Good idea, but....... what about pass through?

As it looks, it can only connect to a male connector on the computer or floppy drive etc.

I realize most sdrive like devices are considered end connector devices, but is it possible to provide a female connector?

Without a pass-through, then the question is how well will this device connect to other devices in the daisy-chain so it CAN be placed at the end. Those of us with lots of peripherals need to know. If I were to buy one of these it needs to fit in what ever device I have at the end of my daisy-chain; I'm not going to be unplugging everything else to use it, which can be a difficult proposition for some of us depending on how things are set-up. I personally have a monitor stand that hides the back end of my 1200XL and I'd have to move a lot of things around to plug and unplug the SDrive directly to the back of the computer.

• Like 1

Without a pass-through, then the question is how well will this device connect to other devices in the daisy-chain so it CAN be placed at the end.

Thanks for note!

Yes, it can be placed at the end of daisy-chain by adding ony one switching diode in the scheme, I've already add it and will publish modifications to github soon.

And I hope it's even can be used in pass-true mode, but another variant of boxing is needed, please check previous messages for details.

• Like 1

Very cool. I like the idea of a 'stand alone' 8 bit, almost like a console. Grab it, plop it down on the living room carpet and have at it. This is certainly useful for something like that vs the huge system with 20 SIO peripherals wired into a desk.

Very cool. I like the idea of a 'stand alone' 8 bit, almost like a console. Grab it, plop it down on the living room carpet and have at it. This is certainly useful for something like that vs the huge system with 20 SIO peripherals wired into a desk.

You're late to the game then, since there are any number of cartridge port and SIO based SD/flash/CF drives that have been around for years to accomplish your "almost console" aspirations.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Oh, you mean the XEGS? :P :)

• Like 1

You right, it is SDrive-ARM:

• SDrive ported to ARM platform,
  • in small case that can be inserted directly to Atari without any cables,
  • with capacitive buttons,
  • possibility for extensions (all pins in SIO connected to ARM, so for example simulation of cassette recorder also possible)
  • With 3D printed case,
  • Fully open source.

PS: Right now I'm preparing github repository for sources (will publish link today later).

PPS: And for a while little bit more photos:

Will these be for sell?