IGNORED

Newbie guide to various PC<->Atari interfaces?

oryan_dunn

APE will run with virtually any processor that runs Windows XP thru W10. No W95,98, etc.

http://www.atarimax.com/

Hmmm,

the atarimax webpage states that APE for Win is a "Native Windows application for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista & Windows 7, 8, & 10 " And APE 1.18 for DOS is "Compatible with MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows 98". So according to the atarimax page, both APE for Win and APE for DOS will run with Win 95 and Win 98.

But I did not test this, since I never used Win 95 or Win 98 (started with Win 2000 and upgraded fast to Win XP)...

For what it's worth, I use a Raspberry Pi (my older RPi2 to be specific) as a dedicated SIO2PC device running RespeQt. Works a treat. And while it doesn't "emulate a cartridge" per se, pretty much anything you'd ever want to run an A8 machine has been converted/hacked to run as a self-booting .ATR or .XEX files, either of which can be served up by RespeQt just fine, along with .CAS files if that's your thing.

• Like 1

I have only used WinAPE (Reg.) and it has worked just fine on everything from an 8 core Xeon to an i7 Quad (HT) to a little 1Ghz Thin Client. All of the above run on XP32, or in the case of the Thin Client, XPe (but it's 99.9% the same).

I just wish Steve would add Bluetooth support like RespeQt has.

Edit: To clarify, the above mentioned Xeon system is, of course, dual CPU's.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

I made a comparison table; I will add it in Topic for newbies; a lot of work...

Please check it because I am not sure all informations are correct.

Keep in mind that this table is made for newbies.

However, I'm not sure it will clarify things for newbies.

A newbie needs only to know how many games a device can load (all games? only carts?), how easy is to put games on it, the price and where to buy it.

• Like 2

I made a comparison table; I will add it in Topic for newbies; a lot of work...

Please check it because I am not sure all informations are correct.

Keep in mind that this table is made for newbies.

However, I'm not sure it will clarify things for newbies.

A newbie needs only to know how many games a device can load (all games? only carts?), how easy is to put games on it, the price and where to buy it.

Thank you! I obviously can't review for accuracy at this point since I'm new to all of this. The only other row I'd suggest maybe adding is compatibility. I seem to remember reading that one (or maybe more) of the carts didn't work with a stock 800. If that is the case, then a compatibility row would also be important for newbies just starting out.