IGNORED

Diablo for PlayStation - Screen shaking?

A few years ago I had a copy of Diablo for the original PlayStation that my wife played a ton of. It ended up getting sold at one point along the line when we were hard up for cash, so this week I bought a new copy of Diablo to replace the old one that was sold. However, there's something really weird going on with the new copy that I wanted to ask about to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

What's going on is that when your character walks around the town the whole screen seems to shake violently as the camera pans, like there's an earthquake going on in the game. A little screen shaking when the camera moves does happen down in the dungeons as well, though not to nearly the extent as in the town and as far as I can tell the game disc itself is genuine and not a reproduction.

Has anyone else had this issue with Diablo on the PS1? Were there different revisions of this game where some might have had the problem and others didn't? Or could it be a hardware issue with the original PlayStation system that it's being played on? The system is the same one that was used to play the previous copy of Diablo and I never noticed the screen shaking in that one.

Any ideas?

I've owned the game twice over the years and run on a few systems (a couple PSOnes and a PS2) and never have I seen that happen. The game was always smooth to run, superior in my eyes with the game pad if you didn't mind the load screens into the over world or loaded up dungeons.

Hmm... could you do me a favor and check the product number on your disc? It's the number right below the ESRB rating the disc. For instance, the product number on my copy of Diablo is SLUS-00619

evu0gVZ.jpg

I ask because when game companies released patched or bug fixed revisions of games during the PS1 era they always had to change the product number to reflect that it was a revision, usually adding a 1 or 2 to the end to show that the game had been revised from the original release. I'm just wondering if the disc I got is an early release with a bug in it.

I've already thoroughly checked the disc for bit rot and there's none at all, and the game is definitely genuine, so I'm a little stumped as to what's going on here.

Sorry no can do. I got rid of my PSOne stuff probably 2-3 years ago now as part of my mass downsizing.

Try something huge like the one of these reddits as they probably would have someone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/

Probably a Sony one like for Nintendo but most of those system specific ones have little travel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Tanooki, but I just went back and looked at some old pictures of my previous copy of Diablo and it was SLUS-00619 as well and I don't remember it ever having any screen shaking so I don't think the problem lies in the disc version. I did a little research and the only other version of Diablo released in the US was an earlier version with the number SLUS-00169, so both copies that I've owned were the final release version. The only other variable I could think of is that the last time I played Diablo before getting this new copy was on an older Sony Trinitron CRT TV from 1993 and this time I'm playing it on a WEGA Trinitron CRT from the early 2000's, so I ended up digging out the old CRT and tried the game out on that one and sure enough the screen shaking is barely noticeable on that TV. It's quite obvious on the WEGA Trinitron and the the 1080p LCD HDTV that I also tried Diablo out on, but on the really old CRT it's hard enough to see that I may have simply not noticed it back when I had my previous copy of the game. So it is entirely possible that it just comes down to what TV you play it on, but I'm still curious to see if anyone else has observed screen shaking in their copies of the game.

Ya sure you're not playing QUAKE?

:rolling:

OK Sorry, couldn't resist.

I haven't played that game in ages TBH, but No I don't remember any shaking...My first thought was try some different games and see if anything weird happens...Another idea is see if your TV has a "Game Mode", just in case it's some weird TV effect, though SONYs are usually awesome...

IIRC, I think that was the game that took up a Huge chunk of memory (card) and I had bought an unlicensed memory card at one point...Needless to say It lost my game save and I got mad and took it back to EB (?) and they gave me a refund, but I said you know a refund doesn't replace my game save...That situation that you guys said wouldn't happen. I then politely said maybe you shouldn't tell people "These work just as good", when they Don't!

Best of luck man, I hope you figure it out!

Sorry no can do. I got rid of my PSOne stuff probably 2-3 years ago now as part of my mass downsizing.

Try something huge like the one of these reddits as they probably would have someone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/

Probably a Sony one like for Nintendo but most of those system specific ones have little travel.

Thanks for the subreddit links. I'm on Reddit a lot, but haven't really seen much gaming related other than r/gaming and subreddits for specific games (like r/fallout or r/wow).

No problem. Reddit kind of sucks unless you get lucky usually with a recommendation or an accidental google find. I went poking around looking for info and bumped into links back to those two and they were the most steadily informative, active, and not immature place I could think of with plenty of reading and help there to use. The only system based one I found worth a steady use at all was just /Nintendo which basically bags up everything from the 80s forward which kind of explains that one.