IGNORED

Best puzzle games nobody talks about?

KWKBOX

Konami's Puyo Puyo clones, the Taisen Puzzle Dama, and Taisen Tokkae Dama games, quite a few of them, a couple licensed (Chibi Maruko-chan, and the one on the SFC, Tsuyoshi Shikkarai , based off an old anime), and one based off Twinbee, and another Tokimeki Memorial, 3 of them in fact (TM Taisen Puzzle Dama 1 and 2 and TM Taisen Tokkae Dama). Puzzle Dama operates exactly like Puyo Puyo, but you match 3 instead of 4, quite addictive, and hard as hell. Tokkae Dama games operate similarly, except you start with a number of balls on the screen, and can scroll the screen and balls up further, and can move them around one at a time at will, and try to match 3, and make chains.

• Like 1

Hey

look what I found in an arcade today (well, yesterday, since it's past midnight, but who cares?)

Pic_0605_024.thumb.jpg.36a85c7453b708a27376a0e400b864a5.jpg

Brain

Washing

Game

Teki-Paki

And I beat my old high score on it.

Pic_0605_027.thumb.jpg.a985e449eca878a889b45a4362dfd98a.jpg

Play it. It's soooooooooooooooooo good. I promise. Is your brain dirty? If it is, you should probably wash it. Let the brainwashing commence~

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Heiankyo Alien was Lode Runner before Lode Runner. I wouldn’t consider either a puzzle game, though.

I agree, but would you call Plump Pop or even Tetris a puzzle game when you think about it? It has always bothered me (just a little, don't worry ?) because given Tetris' speed, I honestly don't have the time to think thoroughly (solve any puzzle) as I would in Sokoban for instance. ? That's why I tend to call some games (maybe not Tetris, but Puzzle Bobble and Plump Pop for instance) "jeux d'adresse" (dexterity games) instead of "jeux de réflexion" (puzzle games).

And to me, games like Lode Runner and Pac-Man are survival games, since they are as stressful to me as some survival horror games. When you think about it, Pac-Man even has ghosts chasing you and limited ammo (power pellets) to get rid of them! And they always come back!! ? Pengo especially would make my brother and I panic a lot, especially when an ice block you throw misses its target, disappears and let you unarmed in front of an enemy. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Can you recognize under the Hanna-Barbera paint job this classic and yet extremely obscure Taito puzzler that mashes up Puzzle Bobble and Space Invaders?

Pop N Pop, only with Hanna Barbera characters in it. Always preferred the PS1 port of Pop N Pop, more modes and more characters to play as is a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Can you recognize under the Hanna-Barbera paint job this classic and yet extremely obscure Taito puzzler that mashes up Puzzle Bobble and Space Invaders?

Ah right, from Bam Entertainment who also published one of the earliest titles for the GBA, meant to showcase just what kind of system the GBA was:

qTdBKi9.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

Ah right, from Bam Entertainment who also published one of the earliest titles for the GBA, meant to showcase just what kind of system the GBA was:

qTdBKi9.jpg

Hey, they published a lot of good games. *watches video* … that actually looks pretty interesting…

• Like 1

I know there was a puzzle-esque game I played off an Antic disk ages ago... I can't remember it well now... something about a nuclear waste dump?

On another note -- what are the earliest "puzzle"-action games that predate Tetris?

I don't think anyone's mentioned it here, but I think Spin Pair is a pretty neat puzzle game.

The way it clears out other tiles of the same color to the sides when you make a match is a rather unique mechanic.

This is also generally one of the cheaper PC Engine games.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2022 at 11:23 PM, TheDevil'sCompass said:

Lode Runner - on most platforms. The original was written for the Apple II computers.

The switch version looks awesome and more my speed.  Also, if you want a retrospective on Lode Runner for the NES check out some of the content Jeremy Parish has done on the topic.  Great stuff and worth watching.

19 hours ago, Raccoon Lad said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned it here, but I think Spin Pair is a pretty neat puzzle game.

The way it clears out other tiles of the same color to the sides when you make a match is a rather unique mechanic.

This is also generally one of the cheaper PC Engine games.

Will give this a go sometime.  I appreciate the recommendation.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:14 AM, DavidD said:

I know there was a puzzle-esque game I played off an Antic disk ages ago... I can't remember it well now... something about a nuclear waste dump?

On another note -- what are the earliest "puzzle"-action games that predate Tetris?

Uncle Henry's Nuclear Waste Dump by James Hague,. Dec. 1986

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v5n8/NuclearWasteDump.html