IGNORED

Lock 'N Chase 8k (Collapsing Lupin) with Box (Only 4)

SoulBuster

Nice box. Looks great.

On the subject of collecting:

• This awesome box is... well... awesome. It is a handmade item and very rare. it looks great. I want one. It would be great to show off to others.
  • The method of offering these items is, as thousands of years of human society have taught us, the fairest method known to man... The marketplace. What is it worth to you to have one? No Starbucks for a couple of months? No cable TV subscription for a year? That new fancy bicycle? 2nd mortgage on your home? Let the market decide.
  • These super-deluxe-nifty-neato handmade items are in very limited release. This will drive up value to those that want one-off items. I may not be able to afford this one. We'll see.
  • This item is NOT part of the original 125. If you have the original 125 then you have all of the releases that were/are possible to have in relation to the original Intellivision system production history.
  • Other things that have been created and collected are also super-deluxe-nifty-neato and can be (and are) valuable parts of anyone's collection. I have a Dr. Pepper/Lock 'n' Chase pin that was produced when the Intellivision was still being supported by Mattel. It is part of my collection because I decided that it was part of my collection. I have the Intellivision handheld games in their original packaging. You know... The crappy ones. :). They are part my collection. Some folks have framed advertisements in their collections. Some people collect Activision patches. I want Keith Robinson to send me some beard trimmings. :)
  • I go way out of my way to NOT collect non-USA releases (with a few exceptions) since I do not believe those items to warrant collecting since "I" believe these are not part of the "canon" of an Intellivision collection. Your opinion may differ. To me, those items are "extra-biblical" but, to YOU... those items may be very important parts of your collection. Hey, whatever makes you happy.
  • I do not own a Ferrari. I drive a KIA. I want a Ferrari but no amount of complaining will get me one. What will? Cash! Cash that I am unwilling to spend for one. You know what? I really like my KIA. It has cup holders. To me, a KIA makes more practical sense to own and I am happy with my KIA. Would I take a Ferrari if someone gave me one? Sure. And then I'd sell it and pay off part of my home mortgage and happily drive my KIA.

Hope my rantings were humorous and even helpful for folks. Your collection should bring you joy, not angst. If it is causing you to feel bad or negative perhaps collecting isn't really your gig. Sell it and buy a KIA with cool cup holders.

KylJoy

• Like 6

1. The intention of making a cart with Collapsing Lupin was because there are none in the wild. They were made with used carts with the LNC label to make them seem like wild found carts, even though they are not. The used labeled carts were more for nostalgia for me than anything.

2. I do not plan on making any more. Reason: any new carts from me would not have a box treatment as they do not sell well cart only.

3. Anyone can make more. They probably will also not get the box treatment.

4. I can see being perturbed by such a small quantity of boxed or variant versions. Had they sold out in cart only form, this thread would not exist and the offer I got for boxes would have been limited to myself, instead of getting 4 extra.

5. When demand is very low, a seller can A: discount them; B: throw them away. C: enhance the desire to purchase by adding something of value. I chose the last of those.

6. Initial run was not advertised like most other releases, but it was also not private. They were on my store for sale to the public for over a year.

Bid, do not bid. It is your choice.

If there was only 4 people that asked me to hold on to one for them, those 4 would have gotten them at $50.

The only reason this auction is going on is because there is more demand than I have supply.

The auction was never intended until about 4 days ago when I realized I did not have enough to 'hold on to one ' for all those requesting it.

You can discuss my motives or motives for any producer. My motives are in this post, and they do not go beyond what I have already stated in this thread.

I am sure that you feel like you're being attacked when you're only trying to sell your games that did not move well for over a year but your response misses the point as to why several folks in the community are unhappy with this. So, even though I'm sure you already know this from your homebrew list thread, allow me to clarify. This has been building up from several different game developers that are somewhat exploiting the fact that "completist" collectors will pay absolutely absurd amounts of money just to try to keep their collection complete; no matter how good or bad the game is (ex: Blix), how many different variants are put out (CBS and NTSC/Premium and Standard/Other), or whatever partial product to make lone carts closer to CIB is thrown out for sale. This is NOT the only instance of this but is only getting worse if there are now going to be extremely limited quantities of CIB component items (ex: only 5 "special" Lock N' Chase boxes available; 4 here and one for whomever requested the1hatman to design the box) in order to attempt to keep one's homebrew collection complete. If that pattern of putting out extremely limited items continues where OBVIOUSLY supply DOES NOT meet demand in such a small but intensely dedicated community, we may lose several folks as there is just no hope of them keeping their collections complete and, painful as it may be, they'll move on to collecting something else. Maybe the community can withstand that, and maybe it cannot. To several people it's not just about getting a new game; it's about opening a new box, reading that new manual, sliding that new overlay into your controller so you can re-live that nostalgia you had when you got a new game for your birthday when you were young. Once you add a box/manual/overlay to a game that did not have one before you will get a lot more folks salivating to buy it around here as they are a "completist" collector and that should be common knowledge.

Personally, I do not have a problem whatsoever with you putting the last four carts into newly developed boxes that help you to sell them and move your product; more power to ya. I was one of the few that bought your Collapsing Lupin cart several months ago to help support the development community and have somewhat of a completist bug in me anyways, if you cannot tell. What I DO have a problem with, however, is if developers of any component of a CIB now give the impression there are only 5 that will be produced and no more will (likely) ever be made for the masses where not everyone in the community has a chance or "window of time" to buy it at a standard price fix. We also just saw this on eBay with some CBS Overlays sets as well where only two were developed and sold. This is not due to a limitation of developer resources or a "contest prize" but is specifically being done for a reason. Developers can follow their own prerogatives but only developing 2-5 of something that appears to be highly collectible will only support a community of 2-5 people. It DOES exploit the situation as the demand is OBVIOUSLY higher than that for these items. That is the message that is coming across and, as m-crew already stated, this auction is more about the box to several of us and not about the game. Alex Pace and Lathe26 have already asked if more boxes would be produced which has obviously fallen on deaf ears with no comment from either you or The1hatman so sounds like the answer is "no". For you to state that anyone can produce more carts but that they (probably) will NOT get the box treatment also highly confirms this. The1hatman was definitely more than willing to produce Blix and Piggy Bank boxes to anyone that asked within a certain window of time before but now will not respond to requests (at least mine) for this one. Why else would that be except to drive up auction prices? I was looking forward to purchasing or trading for the SP Baseball and Mystic Castle boxes from The1hatman as well in the near future but will they go down this road as well? While this may not have been what you intended by having The1hatman produce boxes to help you sell your last four games, it is certainly coming across as such by blocking further box production when it has just been announced, demand is obviously way more than supply, and you state that more will (probably) not be produced. That does not support this community, it only exploits it.

• Like 6

Nice box. Looks great.

On the subject of collecting:

• This awesome box is... well... awesome. It is a handmade item and very rare. it looks great. I want one. It would be great to show off to others.
  • The method of offering these items is, as thousands of years of human society have taught us, the fairest method known to man... The marketplace. What is it worth to you to have one? No Starbucks for a couple of months? No cable TV subscription for a year? That new fancy bicycle? 2nd mortgage on your home? Let the market decide.
  • These super-deluxe-nifty-neato handmade items are in very limited release. This will drive up value to those that want one-off items. I may not be able to afford this one. We'll see.
  • This item is NOT part of the original 125. If you have the original 125 then you have all of the releases that were/are possible to have in relation to the original Intellivision system production history.
  • Other things that have been created and collected are also super-deluxe-nifty-neato and can be (and are) valuable parts of anyone's collection. I have a Dr. Pepper/Lock 'n' Chase pin that was produced when the Intellivision was still being supported by Mattel. It is part of my collection because I decided that it was part of my collection. I have the Intellivision handheld games in their original packaging. You know... The crappy ones. :). They are part my collection. Some folks have framed advertisements in their collections. Some people collect Activision patches. I want Keith Robinson to send me some beard trimmings. :)
  • I go way out of my way to NOT collect non-USA releases (with a few exceptions) since I do not believe those items to warrant collecting since "I" believe these are not part of the "canon" of an Intellivision collection. Your opinion may differ. To me, those items are "extra-biblical" but, to YOU... those items may be very important parts of your collection. Hey, whatever makes you happy.
  • I do not own a Ferrari. I drive a KIA. I want a Ferrari but no amount of complaining will get me one. What will? Cash! Cash that I am unwilling to spend for one. You know what? I really like my KIA. It has cup holders. To me, a KIA makes more practical sense to own and I am happy with my KIA. Would I take a Ferrari if someone gave me one? Sure. And then I'd sell it and pay off part of my home mortgage and happily drive my KIA.
Hope my rantings were humorous and even helpful for folks. Your collection should bring you joy, not angst. If it is causing you to feel bad or negative perhaps collecting isn't really your gig. Sell it and buy a KIA with cool cup holders.

KylJoy

Haha! Awesome post! :)

• Like 2

I never thought that the 8k ROM was a collectible as one was never found in the wild. Even then it would have been a variant. I own some variants. Sears, A complete CBS, and one of each of the home-brews but not so much all four 4-Tris, but it keeps expanding. After the BLIX thing I just bought 3 of this cart release I think two first and then one more. I'll enjoy it in the collection boxed, an orphan in a shelter.

I never thought that the 8k ROM was a collectible as one was never found in the wild. Even then it would have been a variant. I own some variants. Sears, A complete CBS, and one of each of the home-brews but not so much all four 4-Tris, but it keeps expanding. After the BLIX thing I just bought 3 of this cart release I think two first and then one more. I'll enjoy it in the collection boxed, an orphan in a shelter.

Wait. A complete CBS? As in every language version? Or all the English ones? I still need a couple to compete mine. Curse you German angry barrel tossing DK!

No, I'm not that ambitious. I have at least one of every GAME not every language. All sealed in my collection except a freakin' God Damn Turbo. A Shrink Wrapped Turbo still alludes me as do ANY CBS Turbo. I do have all US Coleco Sealed and Mint but CBS Turbo...I am still screwed. I still pick up some CBS when I see them. I really need to update my spreadsheet. I have bid on things that I already have and really need those bucks to go towards what I don't have.

Wait. A complete CBS? As in every language version? Or all the English ones? I still need a couple to compete mine. Curse you German angry barrel tossing DK!

No, I'm not that ambitious. I have at least one of every GAME not every language. All sealed in my collection except a freakin' God Damn Turbo. A Shrink Wrapped Turbo still alludes me as do ANY CBS Turbo. I do have all US Coleco Sealed and Mint but CBS Turbo...I am still screwed. I still pick up some CBS when I see them. I really need to update my spreadsheet. I have bid on things that I already have and really need those bucks to go towards what I don't have.

Lol. I have definitely bid on items that I didn't realize I already had. And worse yet, I've overpaid for items I already had thinking "I don't want to miss out on this in case I don't see another one come up for auction".

You should do your inventory on CBS stuff and let me know. I have some extras I should move out.

Since I seem to have been brought into this I will respond for my part.

This has been building up from several different game developers that are somewhat exploiting the fact that "completist" collectors will pay absolutely absurd amounts of money just to try to keep their collection complete;

This is not exploitation. People that choose to be a "completist" also choose to spend whatever they have to just to call their collection complete in their minds. A compete collection is a myth. There are always other variants, materials, fan art, homebrews, etc. that make the definition of a complete Intellivision collection vary from person to person. c-mart doesn't have a truly complete collection! Anyone feeling exploited are doing it to themselves.

This is NOT the only instance of this but is only getting worse if there are now going to be extremely limited quantities of CIB component items (ex: only 5 "special" Lock N' Chase boxes available; 4 here and one for whomever requested the1hatman to design the box) in order to attempt to keep one's homebrew collection complete.

There was no artificial limitation on these carts. They were available for over a year and didn't sell out. Anyone, ANYONE could have bought any of the last 5 on his site in last 4 months or so! If this cart was needed for people to consider their collection to be complete why did it take someone making a box for it to push the last 5 out the door? My boxes don't make a collection anymore complete than reproduction boxes. This game did not come with a box, so if you have the cart then you have this "homebrew" in its complete state as it was released from its maker. The boxes are just a nice fan-made bonus for people who want something to store it in. It's no different than buying those clear box protectors to keep games in, just a prettier surface.

If that pattern of putting out extremely limited items continues where OBVIOUSLY supply DOES NOT meet demand in such a small but intensely dedicated community, we may lose several folks as there is just no hope of them keeping their collections complete and, painful as it may be, they'll move on to collecting something else. Maybe the community can withstand that, and maybe it cannot.

People come and go to and from hobbies all the time. Nothing will stop that and the community will continue on as it always has. Again, if having a complete collection is the only way for someone to enjoy this hobby then they are doomed to never reach fulfillment. One has to define what is complete to them, in my case 1 of each original 125 game in their earliest release form. I don't count homebrews as part of the system's canon. They're only aftermarket parts, just really really fun ones. If someone finds their definition of complete cannot be met by the ever shifting winds of the homebrew scene then they either need to reevaluate their definition or realize that they are into the hobby for everything outside the only real reasons, to have fun and share the experience with others.

To several people it's not just about getting a new game; it's about opening a new box, reading that new manual, sliding that new overlay into your controller so you can re-live that nostalgia you had when you got a new game for your birthday when you were young. Once you add a box/manual/overlay to a game that did not have one before you will get a lot more folks salivating to buy it around here as they are a "completist" collector and that should be common knowledge.

And to some people it's about just having new stuff to play. You can't cater to every niche of collector and it would be pointless to try. Some homebrewers don't have the ability to bring things out as complete in box anyway, either due lack of funds or access to some aspects of the process to make something CIB. I'd rather they put out what they can than just never make anything available to us because the completists will complain. Otherwise we wouldn't have the rich ROM scene many here enjoy now as they don't even have carts, much less the box/manual/overlay treatment. Ultimately the completists need to understand that they are not the only kind of collector and that there is no reason to cater just to them. They have to adjust their collecting to the scene that's available just like everyone else.

What I DO have a problem with, however, is if developers of any component of a CIB now give the impression there are only 5 that will be produced and no more will (likely) ever be made for the masses where not everyone in the community has a chance or "window of time" to buy it at a standard price fix.

Too late. This has always been the case. How many 4-tris copies were made for the Philly Classic all those years ago? What "window of time" was there for people who didn't know about that show's existence to acquire a copy? Why did you have to be one of the people who happened to be at that show just to get one? Sure there are other versions of it out there but a completist has to have them all, right? Again, a complete collection is a myth so a homebrewer trying to cater to just that segment of the community is a fool's errand.

Alex Pace and Lathe26 have already asked if more boxes would be produced which has obviously fallen on deaf ears with no comment from either you or The1hatman so sounds like the answer is "no". For you to state that anyone can produce more carts but that they (probably) will NOT get the box treatment also highly confirms this.

SoulBuster hasn't commented on making more boxes because he does not make them. I have not commented on making more LNC8K boxes here because I am busy making Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball boxes and don't have the time to bring a 3rd box into the mix right now. No one said there would or would not be 8K boxes in the future but it certainly could be something I do after MC and SPBB are wrapped up.

The1hatman was definitely more than willing to produce Blix and Piggy Bank boxes to anyone that asked within a certain window of time before but now will not respond to requests (at least mine) for this one. Why else would that be except to drive up auction prices? I was looking forward to purchasing or trading for the SP Baseball and Mystic Castle boxes from The1hatman as well in the near future but will they go down this road as well?

Understand that some of us have a lot going on that you don't see and maybe don't have time to respond to every single post or PM or, in my case, they are flooded with PMs and simply haven't got around to replying to all of them yet. When you end a PM with "Not trying to be pushy and let me know if you're interested" just yesterday, that generally tells me that you're ok if it takes me a little time to get back to you. I apologize if I misread that.

Everything I make is by hand, piece by piece. It takes around 30-40 minutes to complete just one box. Multiply that by 30-40 people all wanting boxes, many of whom wanting multiple of each, and you have a full time job on top of my actual full time job and life. People like us are not "game publishers" like Sega or Blizzard. There is no customer service staff here. We cannot always keep on top of every request, question, post, etc. I try but I will sometimes miss things. I do apologize for that.

The1hatman produce boxes to help you sell your last four games, it is certainly coming across as such by blocking further box production when it has just been announced, demand is obviously way more than supply, and you state that more will (probably) not be produced. That does not support this community, it only exploits it.

There is no "block on further box production" and I didn't produce boxes to help him sell anything! Someone else asked if I could make one for them and I thought to take the idea to SoulBuster as an offer to make some for him in exchange for one LNC8K cart for myself. He agreed for 5 boxes on the trade, keeping one box for himself and leaving the remaining 4 to move the final carts that no one seemed to care about for months. Just to be nice, he put them up for public auction so everyone would have an equal shot at his last 4. It's as simple as that. No planning, scheming or conspiracy to fleece the community. It all just sort of came together organically.

Again, if anyone is feeling exploited it's because they're doing it to themselves. We're just guys making stuff and offering it to the community.

• Like 7

Since I seem to have been brought into this I will respond for my part.

This has been building up from several different game developers that are somewhat exploiting the fact that "completist" collectors will pay absolutely absurd amounts of money just to try to keep their collection complete;

This is not exploitation. People that choose to be a "completist" also choose to spend whatever they have to just to call their collection complete in their minds. A compete collection is a myth. There are always other variants, materials, fan art, homebrews, etc. that make the definition of a complete Intellivision collection vary from person to person. c-mart doesn't have a truly complete collection! Anyone feeling exploited are doing it to themselves.

This is NOT the only instance of this but is only getting worse if there are now going to be extremely limited quantities of CIB component items (ex: only 5 "special" Lock N' Chase boxes available; 4 here and one for whomever requested the1hatman to design the box) in order to attempt to keep one's homebrew collection complete.

There was no artificial limitation on these carts. They were available for over a year and didn't sell out. Anyone, ANYONE could have bought any of the last 5 on his site in last 4 months or so! If this cart was needed for people to consider their collection to be complete why did it take someone making a box for it to push the last 5 out the door? My boxes don't make a collection anymore complete than reproduction boxes. This game did not come with a box, so if you have the cart then you have this "homebrew" in its complete state as it was released from its maker. The boxes are just a nice fan-made bonus for people who want something to store it in. It's no different than buying those clear box protectors to keep games in, just a prettier surface.

If that pattern of putting out extremely limited items continues where OBVIOUSLY supply DOES NOT meet demand in such a small but intensely dedicated community, we may lose several folks as there is just no hope of them keeping their collections complete and, painful as it may be, they'll move on to collecting something else. Maybe the community can withstand that, and maybe it cannot.

People come and go to and from hobbies all the time. Nothing will stop that and the community will continue on as it always has. Again, if having a complete collection is the only way for someone to enjoy this hobby then they are doomed to never reach fulfillment. One has to define what is complete to them, in my case 1 of each original 125 game in their earliest release form. I don't count homebrews as part of the system's canon. They're only aftermarket parts, just really really fun ones. If someone finds their definition of complete cannot be met by the ever shifting winds of the homebrew scene then they either need to reevaluate their definition or realize that they are into the hobby for everything outside the only real reasons, to have fun and share the experience with others.

To several people it's not just about getting a new game; it's about opening a new box, reading that new manual, sliding that new overlay into your controller so you can re-live that nostalgia you had when you got a new game for your birthday when you were young. Once you add a box/manual/overlay to a game that did not have one before you will get a lot more folks salivating to buy it around here as they are a "completist" collector and that should be common knowledge.

And to some people it's about just having new stuff to play. You can't cater to every niche of collector and it would be pointless to try. Some homebrewers don't have the ability to bring things out as complete in box anyway, either due lack of funds or access to some aspects of the process to make something CIB. I'd rather they put out what they can than just never make anything available to us because the completists will complain. Otherwise we wouldn't have the rich ROM scene many here enjoy now as they don't even have carts, much less the box/manual/overlay treatment. Ultimately the completists need to understand that they are not the only kind of collector and that there is no reason to cater just to them. They have to adjust their collecting to the scene that's available just like everyone else.

What I DO have a problem with, however, is if developers of any component of a CIB now give the impression there are only 5 that will be produced and no more will (likely) ever be made for the masses where not everyone in the community has a chance or "window of time" to buy it at a standard price fix.

Too late. This has always been the case. How many 4-tris copies were made for the Philly Classic all those years ago? What "window of time" was there for people who didn't know about that show's existence to acquire a copy? Why did you have to be one of the people who happened to be at that show just to get one? Sure there are other versions of it out there but a completist has to have them all, right? Again, a complete collection is a myth so a homebrewer trying to cater to just that segment of the community is a fool's errand.

Alex Pace and Lathe26 have already asked if more boxes would be produced which has obviously fallen on deaf ears with no comment from either you or The1hatman so sounds like the answer is "no". For you to state that anyone can produce more carts but that they (probably) will NOT get the box treatment also highly confirms this.

SoulBuster hasn't commented on making more boxes because he does not make them. I have not commented on making more LNC8K boxes here because I am busy making Mystic Castle and Super Pro Baseball boxes and don't have the time to bring a 3rd box into the mix right now. No one said there would or would not be 8K boxes in the future but it certainly could be something I do after MC and SPBB are wrapped up.

The1hatman was definitely more than willing to produce Blix and Piggy Bank boxes to anyone that asked within a certain window of time before but now will not respond to requests (at least mine) for this one. Why else would that be except to drive up auction prices? I was looking forward to purchasing or trading for the SP Baseball and Mystic Castle boxes from The1hatman as well in the near future but will they go down this road as well?

Understand that some of us have a lot going on that you don't see and maybe don't have time to respond to every single post or PM or, in my case, they are flooded with PMs and simply haven't got around to replying to all of them yet. When you end a PM with "Not trying to be pushy and let me know if you're interested" just yesterday, that generally tells me that you're ok if it takes me a little time to get back to you. I apologize if I misread that.

Everything I make is by hand, piece by piece. It takes around 30-40 minutes to complete just one box. Multiply that by 30-40 people all wanting boxes, many of whom wanting multiple of each, and you have a full time job on top of my actual full time job and life. People like us are not "game publishers" like Sega or Blizzard. There is no customer service staff here. We cannot always keep on top of every request, question, post, etc. I try but I will sometimes miss things. I do apologize for that.

The1hatman produce boxes to help you sell your last four games, it is certainly coming across as such by blocking further box production when it has just been announced, demand is obviously way more than supply, and you state that more will (probably) not be produced. That does not support this community, it only exploits it.

There is no "block on further box production" and I didn't produce boxes to help him sell anything! Someone else asked if I could make one for them and I thought to take the idea to SoulBuster as an offer to make some for him in exchange for one LNC8K cart for myself. He agreed for 5 boxes on the trade, keeping one box for himself and leaving the remaining 4 to move the final carts that no one seemed to care about for months. Just to be nice, he put them up for public auction so everyone would have an equal shot at his last 4. It's as simple as that. No planning, scheming or conspiracy to fleece the community. It all just sort of came together organically.

Again, if anyone is feeling exploited it's because they're doing it to themselves. We're just guys making stuff and offering it to the community.

Wow, that is a long post!

• Like 3

Wow, that is a long post!

Yeah it was, lol. Intellivet had some real concerns and brought up some good points. I thought he deserved a thorough and well thought out response, as did everyone here. Long story short, there is no plot to squeeze extra money from the community here. Just some members who made a few things and offered them to the group at large in the fairest way possible.

• Like 3