IGNORED

Ultimate Atari Cart (Electrotrains) Pre-Order by 18 APR 17

MacRorie

I am about to buy one but one question.... are you saying DO glow in the dark or actually meant NO glow in the dark?

"Do Glow in the dark!!"

I was actually going to ask for the glow in the dark <grin> but unsure what you post was trying to tell us. heh

Let me know please.

TJ

I am about to buy one but one question.... are you saying DO glow in the dark or actually meant NO glow in the dark?

"Do Glow in the dark!!"

I was actually going to ask for the glow in the dark <grin> but unsure what you post was trying to tell us. heh

Let me know please.

TJ

Ha, I totally want a glow in the dark XEGS buttons. How snazzy would that look with a glow in the dark cartridge?

Please excuse my ignorance but is there any benefit to this over the SIO thing or vice versa?

Thanks

Part of me says "Who cares, it's more Atari hardware!" But I think the main difference (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but there are certain file formats (whichever one the cart one is) doesn't work through SIO. At least as far as usability. I also tend to think the cartridge port is faster, since it is... well a cartridge vs in essence a fake floppy drive.

Please excuse my ignorance but is there any benefit to this over the SIO thing or vice versa?

Thanks

In short SIO "things" don't let you select, load and run Atari cartridge format files (*.bin or *.car), this "thing" does. So it is like "multiple cartridges-in-one" type of device, whereas SIO things are disk-drive emulator devices. I believe latest version of this cart also let's you run .xex files.

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

Thanks

So, this is a MultiCart. Think of it that way. You can run anything that would go into the cartridge port PLUS, you can run .XEX files (stand alone executable files) that load in cartridge memory addresses. So, if it was a cartridge based dos (SpartaDOSX/MyDOS/Etc) you could run it gain access to a disk drive, but you would still need a disk drive.

The SIO2PCs are disk drive emulators. They will "run" .XEX as well as .ATR and other files. They CANNOT run .CAR or .ROM files, because they do not (and cannot) access the cartridge port.

So, it all depends on what you want to do. If you just want to play some cartridges from your misspent youth, then the Ultimate Cart is your best bet. If you also want to run some disk-based files like getting back into Seven Cities of Gold then you are going to need both.

• Like 3

This reflects ALL orders placed. email have been sent to all who have paid

As of 25 Mar 17:

43 Ordered, 7 to go SINGLE DIGITS!!!

0 until parts are ordered and payments made. ONE!!! OH. MY. G*D!! AMAZING!!!

PARTS ORDER PLACED, Paypal to Electrotrains sent! Looks like we are the pig!*

Thanks

-M

*In the breakfast analogy of allegiance to a cause, the chicken is "dedicated" to the cause. The pig is committed.

As of 25 Mar 17:

43 Ordered, 7 to go SINGLE DIGITS!!!

Thanks

-M

*In the breakfast analogy of allegiance to a cause, the chicken is "dedicated" to the cause. The pig is committed.

So, counting my 3, that would be 4 to go. Correct?

• Like 1

ALL RIGHT ATARI FANS!!

We have 46 orders, so I have placed the order with the parts supplier. As I promised Electrotrains before this began, he has been paid what he saw as a fair percentage. So we are committed.
So, all that being said, here is the new TENTATIVE timeline:
TIMELINE:
27 MAR Parts Ordered! Electrotrains paid for his work!
03 APR Parts & PCBs to assembler
18 APR Assembled boards received back.
Begin doing hand solder parts (3), programming, casing, testing
02 MAY Begin shipment
15 MAY All carts should be in your hands
It is tentative because since things happened early, I need to work around my classes (my main job is teaching about the rhetoric of video games), but they end the beginning of May, so we are good. Also, they are things that can happen at every step of the way, but this seems workable.
Thank you all for having faith in the process! I will get these out just as soon as is humanly possible!
-MacRorie

As of 25 Mar 17:

46 Ordered, 4 to go SINGLE DIGITS!!!

Thanks

-M

So, counting my 3, that would be 4 to go. Correct?

Yes! However, let's understand that since the parts have been ordered, everybody is going to get their order. The difference is whether or not my spouse gets to give me evil looks for six months because I had to pay the assembler out of pocket! ;-)

• Like 1