IGNORED

[Sega Genesis][Homebrew port] Wolfenstein 3D

MadZiontist

This is a few years old, but it was just brought back to mind, and I thought I'd share it here. This has gone years without an update, but I heard the dev is now working on it some more, and there should be another update coming up.

Wolfenstein 3D [fv11 fixed] (SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive)

Here's a port of Wolfenstein for the SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive, by GASEGA68K, written in ASM. It's mostly based on the source code of Wolfenstein 3D for PC.

It looks and plays true to the original, and is an impressive technical achievement (particularly considering the hardware).

Tested and running perfectly on MD.emu and RetroArch on Android (Genesis Plus GX and PicoDrive cores), as well as KEGA Fusion on PC and PicoDrive on PSP.

MSXGhG5.png

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9wn79zv99lyr9k3

I know the shareware episode was completed, and last I saw he was working on the rest, so if he's able to finish...I'm still waiting with bated breath ;)

Did he release it with the shareware episode? I really hope he's able to finish it up with the additional episodes. As it stands it's great that it's at least "complete". He did an amazing job with this.

He finished episode 1 (the shareware levels) in May 2014, which he released as "Beta 9t" - so I think 2 revisions prior to what you linked, and 1 revision prior to what I had. xD

Lol. I had no clue what I even had!. yeah I didn't dig into it and play through the whole thing. I just played around on the first level. I had no idea he had more content than just the original game.

I'd love to see how this works out, but in all fairness I just got out of all things (other than Dreamcast) Sega wise and the last of my Genesis games are being picked off on ebay currently. Otherwise, if this is so honest to right by the old DOS original I would have thrown some some green for it.

It plays nicely, and as far as I can tell is very true to the DOS version. It's scaled down, but done so well for being the Genesis, that it's tough to complain.

You can put me down for one if you plan on selling Wolfenstein for Sega Genesis.

As it stands anyone who wants to publish this would have to get permission from iD software and probably Form Gen Corporation.

I suggested to the guy to change the assets and use community made levels put into a permissive license. Got no response.

As it stands anyone who wants to publish this would have to get permission from iD software and probably Form Gen Corporation.

I suggested to the guy to change the assets and use community made levels put into a permissive license. Got no response.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

~ Ash

That's good to know it's right. The one that always irked me but I held onto it was the GBA release. It's on the nose basically with the DOS game all six episodes and hidden stages too. But the (for the time) infinitely known poor house cheapskates that were BAM! Entertainment didn't want to pay for a larger chip, so the gutted the music and left the sounds only to get it to market. Pretty unforgivable and lame but if you can get around the loss it's a fantastic comfy conversion to enjoy and it's cheap ($10~) these days.

Id, and Zenimax, owns the full rights to all the Wolfenstein games including Spear of Desitny. They still sell SoD on Steam and GOG.

And yes the Genesis port of Wolfenstein 3D is awesome. It was even made into a ROM hack for the Sega Genesis Collection on Steam. :)

Nice. I have the 32x shareware version as well as the Genesis shareware rom and honestly the game is much better suited to the 32x harware to get it closest to DOS level quality of graphics, sound and gameplay.

That being said...I own Duke Nukem 3D for Genesis by Piko Interactive which is pretty fun so if this got a release as a rom or full release with a cart, manual and case i'd totally pick up a copy. I bet it would be pretty decent and better than the SNES version! lol. Good luck and keep at it!

Anything would be better than the SNES version only on the grounds that they censored it so hard they should have just renamed it. Staatsmeister? Giant mutant rats. Big menacing X's on all the walls. The only benefit that game has is the automap. I used to own it for a few years for a laugh now and again but I never could take it seriously so I sold it. It ran great, censoring aside looked and played well too, but I couldn't get passed it being neutered.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...