IGNORED

Carina 1.0 BBS

wemichener

Al,

Until I get back in the groove with the Atari, I'll stick with what I have used in the past (has sentimental appeal(old school)). Most likely I will eventually switch over but for now I'm satisfied with Carina 1.0. The only exception is the fact that I cant find the original Docs which just might force me to change anyways. I'm hoping I'll find them, but it doesn't look promising.

I also don't have a land line.

I seem to remember a couple of Carina BBSs in Indianapolis back in the day. They were highly configurable, but seemed susceptible to crashes, if I remember correctly. Wasn't it written in BASIC? If I remember correctly, you could pretty easily run on-line games with Carina too.

My BBS (ICE) ran Oasis Jr. which was pretty solid, free, and limited in other ways. However, I was a high school kid with limited funds, limited disk space, etc.

John

I also don't have a land line.

Same with me, I haven't had a land line in years.

I seem to remember a couple of Carina BBSs in Indianapolis back in the day. They were highly configurable, but seemed susceptible to crashes, if I remember correctly. Wasn't it written in BASIC? If I remember correctly, you could pretty easily run on-line games with Carina too.

I don't remember how stable the original Carina was, but Carina II was pretty reliable. Carina II used a mix of assembly and BASIC. The "Modem Operating Environment" (MOE) and other routines were written in assembly, and all the various modules users interacted with were written in BASIC. Made it very easy to modify the BBS as well as extend it.

..Al

• Like 1

I don't know a single person with a land line.

Well, although I'm a married person (thus, not a single person), I do still have my landline. I rarely use it these days, but meh, it's part of my DSL service and if power ever went out like when the entire midwest USA lost power some years back, I can still make calls with it. :thumbsup:

--Tim

Well, although I'm a married person (thus, not a single person), I do still have my landline. I rarely use it these days, but meh, it's part of my DSL service and if power ever went out like when the entire midwest USA lost power some years back, I can still make calls with it. :thumbsup:

--Tim

See you're lucky with DSL, people that have VoIP via something like AT&T Uverse can only use modems and the like that use tone dialing as pulse dialing doesn't work. Good thing is, most (if not all) atari modems allowed tone dialing I believe.

• Like 1

See you're lucky with DSL, people that have VoIP via something like AT&T Uverse can only use modems and the like that use tone dialing as pulse dialing doesn't work. Good thing is, most (if not all) atari modems allowed tone dialing I believe.

There are pulse to touchtone converters for people who wish to use rotary phones and pulse dialing equipment still. http://www.dialgizmo.com/ Edited by Brentarian

+1 for the internet of things. I still have a land line but more and more wondering why. When the topic came up of getting a dial up account even those are considered obsolete: I think I only found ~6 providers that still had them available in the USA.

In retirement I work with a lot of homeless, down on their luck, and seniors<more senior then me anyway :) > Universal among them is they all hate typing, slow interface, and the slightest inconvenience. I mean we are talking homeless people with severe mental illness living in their cars. I give them an Android that lets them connect to free WiFi and they complain they can only use it at hot spots. I tell them hot spots include all libraries, donuts shops, McDonalds, et al and they still freak.

*BUT* looking forward, it is possible to use a Atari as a web server. Pretty much consists of sending canned code responses for input. I mean some people have put things like TinyPIC and AVR's on the web. Doesn't matter if the Atari is sending 'GREETING.DOC" from a bbs or "index.html" as a response to a connection.

• Like 1

I wonder how many copies of Carina 1.0 were sold. Thinking about it more, I probably did run Carina 1.0 for a bit before switching over to Carina II. Still unlikely I have the manual, though. It would be nice if someone could come up with a copy!

..Al

How about this?

Carina BBS 1.1 A.atr

Carina BBS 1.1 B.atr

Carina BBS 1.1 alt A.atr

Carina BBS 1.1 alt B.atr

From Holmes 1.

I haven't tested this yet, I just found it. :)

• Like 1