IGNORED

Carina 1.0 BBS

wemichener

• 4 years later...

I'm working on getting Carina version 1, to get it running on an internet connected machine.  Presently I'm working in emulation, but I will play for and test on real hardware before noticing all that it works.  Presently I've got it answering and working in emulation, but lacking docs I don't have text files to display.  lol  I'll reverse engineer it and figure out the trick.

best,

jeff

17 hours ago, Tillek said:

Just out of curiosity, why Carina 1?

I'm not too familiar with it, or what made it special (I mean, I do know Carina changed hands, so I'm assuming each time it changed flavor a bit... just curious).

/s

Carina, especially Carina 2 and up were early in adopting subdirectories.  Carina II will ONLY run on Spartados.  Carina is a command-based system.  You can chose R from the menu, then ALL from a prompt, then New from another prompt, and the bbs will display all new messages for you to read. Or, you can type "Read All New" on one line and the board will do the same as if you had followed prompts.  You can also chain commands, such as "Read All New, Browse All New" and the bbs will then display each new message for you to read, after which it will display the descriptions of each new file in the downloads areas for you to check out.

A very big feature of carina, aside from its very smart command line structure is that it is written in Atari Basic, which means that folks like me can customize it.  The other big bbs for the Atari, "BBS Express and BBS Express Pro!" are in machine language, the source code is closed so only the authors can modify it.  Carina is still plenty fast enough for high-speed communications, 19.2kbaud, because the input/output, as well as the sharing of information about the user, is handled by a machine language program called MOE, for Modem Operating Environment.  MOE is a sort of IO redirector that on the IBM PC was called a "Fossil Driver".  With MOE doing all the IO stuff, your BASIC code can be written as though no redirection were being done, just plain clean code, and MOE takes care of making output go to the serial device and taking input from the serial device, both as though those were only being sent to the local screen or coming from the local keyboard.  There's really no limit to what you can do with it if you are reasonably conversant with Atari Basic.

Jeff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I DID get Carina I running in Altirra and answering the 'phone' just fine.

I don't know what the max baudrate of this version of Carina is, so I set Altirra to report 2400bps.

The reason the disks noted above give trouble is because the bbs on them is configured to have all the .txt and help files etcetera on D2: and the rest of the bbs on D1:.  I manually changed that such that the bbs looks for all files, including .txt files, on D1:

Attached is a working Carina 1 on a 16meg Spartados partition, bootable, with Spartados 3.2d.  Just mount this as D1: in altirra, configure your modem to answer and have fun.

Notes:  Carina I works better under Spartados, of course, so that's the way I set this up.  BUT, since MOE does I/O redirection, it cannot in this version of Carina be called from a batch file.

So, the proper startup procedure is to boot this disk and then manually enter "BBS" and hit Return.  This will execute the BBS.COM program, load MOE and initialize things.  You hit Return once more when prompted and the bbs will be up and running.

Best,

Jeff

shard1.atr

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
Amplifying information on IPL of BBS.
  • Like 1