IGNORED

Got F18A installed some games don't work/black screen

Mika73

I just pointed out there is a thread about MK2.

It's best to ask Matthew about PAL in that thread.

However, Matthew does say:

"

Wow! Now if it could do 50hz that would be really awesome, but I suspect not.

Sorry, no 50Hz. Too much of a hassle since it ties in to more than just video output. Video is not easy, and there really are other things I want to do in life other than implement all the possible permutations of all the video modes of all the retro computer systems. :-)"

It's worth noting though, that he is talking about 50hz sync rate. The incompatibility with the PAL console is something wrong with the interrupts not firing (or being detected) correctly. This area of the MK2 got a rework, but I don't know if he's tried it in the PAL console yet.

Regardless an F18A in a PAL console will turn it into a 60hz console.

Edited by Tursi

It's worth noting though, that he is talking about 50hz sync rate. The incompatibility with the PAL console is something wrong with the interrupts not firing (or being detected) correctly. This area of the MK2 got a rework, but I don't know if he's tried it in the PAL console yet.

Regardless an F18A in a PAL console will turn it into a 60hz console.

im happy with 60hz pal :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have a fix and I am testing. I don't currently have all the games mentioned as "not working" in the various threads, but I'm trying to dig them up. This is a firmware update, no hardware changes necessary, so if you made modifications in the past based on my suggestions, please revert to the original hardware configuration. Let me know if you have an EU console, a way to update your F18A (i.e. JTAG programmer or SD-cart for running the in-system update), and are willing to test. I don't want the test firmware getting on too many systems, but if it proves to fix the problems then an official release will follow quickly.

Edit:

Games I have tested on the EU CV loaned to me (very very very much appreciated) that were reported as not working:

Bolder Dash

Pitfall

Space Fury

Donkey Kong

Moon Patrol

Edited by matthew180

• 1 month later...

didnt realise ther was a possible patch. must have been sleeping that day !

See post #58 above, particularly this part:

"Let me know if you have an EU console, a way to update your F18A (i.e. JTAG programmer or SD-cart for running the in-system update), and are willing to test."

I only received one PM.

I got F18A installed for France Colecovision. Some games don't work they just give black screen.

I have quickly read this thread. i did not read detail , but it seems the discussion is around PAL/50hz colecovion.

i want just highlight , that a Colecovision from France is *NOT* PAL . It is SECAM / 50hz with Scart cable.

Edited by youki

I have looping not working on my PAL coleco. I believe when I hit a fire button it freezes on me. Smurf and donkey kong are giving me random trouble (not starting or freezing being the most common one). I'd love to try and update my f18. Have a jtag cable ready here.

Edited by Unstablewarpfield

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i followed this video. it also shows where to get the audio from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3Yc0V4Ayo

Where are you getting your audio on a PAL Coleco from Mika73?

I have the VGA board from Matthew but cannot find a link to the audio out is all..

Edited by digress