Bmack36

Open Source Colecovision Project Name  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which name do you prefer for the Project

• CV-UNO
    • PhoenixCV
    • Other Specify name in comment

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As More progress is being made on this project I wanted to go ahead and get a name for the project. As this is an open source project I wanted to get some feedback on potential names.

1) CV-UNO: This project is based off of the ZX-UNO project and tailored to the CV with the addition of CV cartridge port, F18a, and cv controller input. The CV-UNO name would be in homage to the original project

2) PhoenixCV: I see this new project as a new resurrection of old and failing hardware.

3) I am open to other options for names

Some notes about the project.

This project is an FPGA system that would accept actual colecovision controller, and cartridges. Games would also be playable off of a sd card. The video output will be either VGA or HDMI using the F18a. This project could either use existing cv case, or could possibly have a new case. A new case would probably involve some form of preorder/kickstarter as injection molds as expensive. This system would run off of a standard off the shelf power supply through a barrel plug.

Since this project is based off of the ZX-UNO, several system cores might be available as well.

• Like 3

Kevtris does have a coleco core for the Zimba, but it is not open source. The goal of this project is to make a system that plays actual cv games using the cv controllers with F18a support. If I understand correctly, you would have to buy the Z3k and then buy colecovision cartidge adapter and colecovision controller adapters. I am not sure what price point or timeframe Kevtris is aiming for with the Z3K and adapters, but I think this project could allow for a cheaper alternative while also adding F18a support.

How about:

Coleco-Revision

Coleco-Re-envision

CV-2K

This is probably a stupid question but a "which is better" debate in another thread made me think of this: how far away is a regular Colecovision from being an Adam computer? Would it be possible to get the best of both worlds in this board, minus the internal tape drives and printer of course but keeping the SGM compatibility, adding a keyboard port and having it switchable between the two systems? Having both easily available might spark some new life in Adam software development too.

Edited by Tornadoboy

The colecovision is part of the ADAM computer. I would think it could be possible to do a FPGA implementation of the ADAM, but I am not sure anyone has done a ADAM core yet. This board should have a PS2 keyboard port for use with the MSX core, so it should be available for other cores as well.

There should already be a 2600 core, so that should work playing games off of the SD card? Does not having a physical 2600 cartridge port a big deal?

I think having a Coleco, ADAM, and 2600 all in one would be a great idea (MSX, NES, SMS, and many others as well).

It would certainly be nice to see the Adam get a second chance even if it's just among collectors, while I've never really used one it seems like it had potential and was just the victim of the times and a few hardware mistakes. Again if it becomes an easy system to obtain/use it'll hopefully revive interest in new software, and assuming it's completely backward compatible to the CV I can't see any downsides to using it to run regular CV games other than tying up desk space with a keyboard, but at least you won't have to have that monsterous printer/machine gun or the tape drives, which I assume can be replaced with a SD card.

Edited by Tornadoboy

• 4 weeks later...