IGNORED

The Odyssey 2 / Videopac Brotherhood!

ScottyDont00

Count me in! I want to be in the brotherhood

a.) How you got your system?

Back in 1981. It was my first system purchased. Something about this system caught my eye. I had 2 friends that both had Atari 2600 systems. I played those systems while visiting. I guess I wanted to go with something different.

KC MUNCHKIN was the game that took me over the edge. It was so much better than the ATARI 2600 version of Pac-Man.

b.) Your favorite memory of the system or games?

Great memories of playing my 3 favorite games: KC MUNCHKIN , UFO, PICK AXE PETE

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say?

Oh you know, the usual that teenage boys would type in back in the day... all the swears and the bad words... " WHO FARTED? " I remember typing that and

laughing like crazy

thanks!

Tim

• Like 1

1.) Love our system and games!

YEEEEESSSSSS!

a.) Unlike most kids who wanted a 2600 I always wanted an Odyssey. At the time I lived in a small town (currently living in an even smaller) then there was Odyssey for sale in stores. One day, my father traveled back to bring my Odyssey. I kept waiting, he arrived with that huge box between 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning. I remember opening the box, reading manuals, magazines, and smelling that beauty. I went to sleep and the other day I woke up very early. We have begun a long romance that will continue until today.

b.) Many. Play Smithreens, Spin-out, Showdown in 2100 AD with friends, the first time I "completed" Turtles. Each new game was a huge joy.

I have a memory of one day that I and a friend (who also owned an Odyssey) went to buy cartridges, we had little money, we lost, it was a fun adventure, my English is not bad to describe it. On this day I bought my Super Bee and he Popeye.

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say?

4.) Super Bee here, Rafael there

We are all very glad your father brought that Odyssey home for you!

Count me in! I want to be in the brotherhood

Back in 1981. It was my first system purchased. Something about this system caught my eye. I had 2 friends that both had Atari 2600 systems. I played those systems while visiting. I guess I wanted to go with something different.

KC MUNCHKIN was the game that took me over the edge. It was so much better than the ATARI 2600 version of Pac-Man.

Great memories of playing my 3 favorite games: KC MUNCHKIN , UFO, PICK AXE PETE

Oh you know, the usual that teenage boys would type in back in the day... all the swears and the bad words... " WHO FARTED? " I remember typing that and

laughing like crazy

thanks!

Tim

Even as an adult the swear words are still funny to type in...

I know this is Odyssey related not Odyssey 2 related (but this is just a one-off and it was the precursor to the odyssey) but I found this on Ebay. I would have posted this elsewhere but there isn't a thread for the original Odyssey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UA-I-PLAYED-ODYSSEY-AT-WARDWELLS-MAGNAVOX-PIN-BADGE-43426-/401015553825?hash=item5d5e63bf21:g:gXEAAOSwT5tWKXYz

Hi, I am a longtime lurker of this board, and a longtime user at videopac.nl

1. How you got your system? My grandfather bought an O2 for me in 1978. He did the same for my cousins.

At the time, I had not heard of the Odyssey 2 only the Atari 2600. I remember holding and shaking the wrapped box, and wishing like crazy it was a video game system.

My neighbor later got an Odyssey 2 because of me, and we would trade games. Another neighbor had the 2600, and we would constantly bounce back and forth.

This was definitely "The Red Ryder BB gun present for me as a child".

2 Your favorite memory of the system or games? Many wonderful memories. My brother and I would build mazes to trap the Ghosts on KC Munchkin and we would play forever-never tiring.

I would always get excited seeing the latest brochure for the upcoming games, and when I scrapped up the money would order from the local Magnavox TV store.

Even though the Football game has been widely panned over time, my brother and I had some serious competitive battles.

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say? I dont really remember, but I am sure it was very juvenile.

Today, I have a pretty nice collection of games. I try to support our new homebrew projects, and have really enjoyed the great new variety.

Last year, I setup the O2 on my Raspberry Pi and will play on my A320 Dingoo as well as the original O2.

Hi, I am a longtime lurker of this board, and a longtime user at videopac.nl

1. How you got your system? My grandfather bought an O2 for me in 1978. He did the same for my cousins.

At the time, I had not heard of the Odyssey 2 only the Atari 2600. I remember holding and shaking the wrapped box, and wishing like crazy it was a video game system.

My neighbor later got an Odyssey 2 because of me, and we would trade games. Another neighbor had the 2600, and we would constantly bounce back and forth.

This was definitely "The Red Ryder BB gun present for me as a child".

2 Your favorite memory of the system or games? Many wonderful memories. My brother and I would build mazes to trap the Ghosts on KC Munchkin and we would play forever-never tiring.

I would always get excited seeing the latest brochure for the upcoming games, and when I scrapped up the money would order from the local Magnavox TV store.

Even though the Football game has been widely panned over time, my brother and I had some serious competitive battles.

c.) The weirdest thing you have typed into "Type and Tell" to make The Voice say? I dont really remember, but I am sure it was very juvenile.

Today, I have a pretty nice collection of games. I try to support our new homebrew projects, and have really enjoyed the great new variety.

Last year, I setup the O2 on my Raspberry Pi and will play on my A320 Dingoo as well as the original O2.

Welcome!

I would love to join :-)

1) I would hope I love the Odyssey 2 with my let's plays and owning a complete NTSC collection ;-)

2) A. I got my originial console from my mom since it used to be hers back in the day.

B. My favorite memory is playing the system in the Poconos with my cousins at my grandparents trailer.

C. I typed "Hello Motto" to see if it would sound similar to the old Motorola commercials lol.

3 & 4) My user is mtshark7.

5) Will add once accepted :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would love to join :-)

1) I would hope I love the Odyssey 2 with my let's plays and owning a complete NTSC collection ;-)

2) A. I got my originial console from my mom since it used to be hers back in the day.

B. My favorite memory is playing the system in the Poconos with my cousins at my grandparents trailer.

C. I typed "Hello Motto" to see if it would sound similar to the old Motorola commercials lol.

3 & 4) My user is mtshark7.

5) Will add once accepted :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You are added!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pop into AA as often as I should, but this is right up my alley.

Got my Odyssey2 back in the day (don't remember the year, but I know it was the year UFO came out — '81 I'm guessing). My dad bought me the system after the Atari 2600 he bought me died within 24 hours (kind of glad that happened, or I would have not gotten the O2).

One good memory of the system was playing some games with my 'late' sister. She kicked butt at Acrobats and she totally enjoyed Pick Axe Pete too. And of course, as mentioned above, getting UFO and having my friend with a 2600 thinking how much better it was that 2600 Asteroids (I think they both have merit, but one is better). :)

As for Type and Tell, I honestly haven't used it in years, so I can't respond to the third question (SOR REE).

As for me, 'ozyr' on AA and on the O2/VP forum too (David in the so-called real world — and Packrat in the business world).

• Like 1

I don't pop into AA as often as I should, but this is right up my alley.

Got my Odyssey2 back in the day (don't remember the year, but I know it was the year UFO came out — '81 I'm guessing). My dad bought me the system after the Atari 2600 he bought me died within 24 hours (kind of glad that happened, or I would have not gotten the O2).

One good memory of the system was playing some games with my 'late' sister. She kicked butt at Acrobats and she totally enjoyed Pick Axe Pete too. And of course, as mentioned above, getting UFO and having my friend with a 2600 thinking how much better it was that 2600 Asteroids (I think they both have merit, but one is better). :)

As for Type and Tell, I honestly haven't used it in years, so I can't respond to the third question (SOR REE).

As for me, 'ozyr' on AA and on the O2/VP forum too (David in the so-called real world — and Packrat in the business world).

You are added to the list!

I had a friend that had a O2 that we played KC on and I really enjoyed the systems cool looks and voice was awesome. We had an Atari so it was very cool to play the unique games.

I picked up my first O2 about 4 years ago. I have now about 40 of the games and I picked up and repaired a voice module plus a 2nd console as a spare complete in box. My kids love the type and tell. We have to break it out every time they have a friend over. It's a great system and one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I had a friend that had a O2 that we played KC on and I really enjoyed the systems cool looks and voice was awesome. We had an Atari so it was very cool to play the unique games.

I picked up my first O2 about 4 years ago. I have now about 40 of the games and I picked up and repaired a voice module plus a 2nd console as a spare complete in box. My kids love the type and tell. We have to break it out every time they have a friend over. It's a great system and one of my favorites.

You are on the list. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi all

Got the Videopac G7000 along with the Chess Module as a Christmas since I used to play chess as a kid.

Have all 61 of the European releases plus the 4 Parker Brothers and the 2 Imagic releases.

Also have around 95% of the homebrews/prototype releases.

Already a member of the Videopac / Odyssey 2 Forum

m-j-b here and mjb on the other forum.

As a side note I'm the mod for the Homebrew and prototype release schedule and the co mod for the Released Homebrews and Prototype list

If you see any errors, feel free to contact me.

Edited by m-j-b
  • Like 1

Hi all

Got the Videopac G7000 along with the Chess Module as a Christmas since I used to play chess as a kid.

Have all 61 of the European releases plus the 4 Parker Brothers and the 2 Imagic releases.

Also have around 95% of the homebrews/prototype releases.

Already a member of the Videopac / Odyssey 2 Forum

m-j-b here and mjb on the other forum.

As a side note I'm the mod for the Homebrew and prototype release schedule and the co mod for the Released Homebrews and Prototype list

If you see any errors, feel free to contact me.

You are on the list!

Never got a Videopac myself, but i had friends and relatives that had the videopac back in the day, where i used to play on it. Bought a few when i started collecting consoles.

Joined the videopac.org forum first when my dad discoverd a few prototype games, robot city, martian thread and 2 early versions of games that had a release. Later shifted over to videopac.nl forum. My avatar is a picture of the robot city card i used to own.

Username is the same on both forums.

• Like 1

Never got a Videopac myself, but i had friends and relatives that had the videopac back in the day, where i used to play on it. Bought a few when i started collecting consoles.

Joined the videopac.org forum first when my dad discoverd a few prototype games, robot city, martian thread and 2 early versions of games that had a release. Later shifted over to videopac.nl forum. My avatar is a picture of the robot city card i used to own.

Username is the same on both forums.

You are added!

Yes, I've been an O2 fan since the late 70's.

a). I received it as a christmas present.

b). Highlight's included seeing "Otto C" at the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville Tennessee. Hours and Hours playing UFO, Football, Pick Axe Pete, Attack of the Timelord, KC Munchkin, PT Barnums, and many others.

c). type and tell = supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (because... why not???)

I've been a member of the forum since it's inception although it's been awhile since I've been active. Life gets in the way and collecting/gaming has taken a back burner for the last few years. Looking forward to getting back into it and reacquainting myself with a great group of collector's/gamer's.

• Like 1

Yes, I've been an O2 fan since the late 70's.

a). I received it as a christmas present.

b). Highlight's included seeing "Otto C" at the 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville Tennessee. Hours and Hours playing UFO, Football, Pick Axe Pete, Attack of the Timelord, KC Munchkin, PT Barnums, and many others.

c). type and tell = supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (because... why not???)

I've been a member of the forum since it's inception although it's been awhile since I've been active. Life gets in the way and collecting/gaming has taken a back burner for the last few years. Looking forward to getting back into it and reacquainting myself with a great group of collector's/gamer's.

You are added.

• Like 1

Hi! I am a total O2 noob, as you will soon read and discover below! :)

I just bought my first O2 this weekend at the Midwest Gaming Classic in Brookfield Wisconsin! I got it in the vendor tent on Saturday with no box, no games, for $15. I thought that was a good price. Dave from Packrat Video Games let me hook it up to his display. Turns out the left joystick won't go left :sad:. He mentioned that the joystick may be dirty and to try cleaning it a bit. He then suggested to swap controllers to make sure that it was just the joystick and not the board itself.

The first time I ever played the O2 was at the Midwest Gaming Classic two years ago! I think the game I played was UFO, and it was on a multicart. I thought the multicart was really cool (dipswitches and all), and had thought about getting one ever since! I played Basketball on the O2 in the video game museum against my friend and his son, and it was fun too!

I don't have The Voice yet, but if anyone has a great deal on an extra unit, please let me know!

• Like 1

I just bought my first O2 this weekend at the Midwest Gaming Classic in Brookfield Wisconsin! I got it in the vendor tent on Saturday with no box, no games, for $15. I thought that was a good price. Dave from Packrat Video Games let me hook it up to his display. Turns out the left joystick won't go left :sad:. He mentioned that the joystick may be dirty and to try cleaning it a bit. He then suggested to swap controllers to make sure that it was just the joystick and not the board itself.

The first time I ever played the O2 was at the Midwest Gaming Classic two years ago! I think the game I played was UFO, and it was on a multicart. I thought the multicart was really cool (dipswitches and all), and had thought about getting one ever since! I played Basketball on the O2 in the video game museum against my friend and his son, and it was fun too!

I don't have The Voice yet, but if anyone has a great deal on an extra unit, please let me know!

You are added. Welcome to wonderful world of Odyssey 2!

• Like 1

If you open up the controller and remove the board inside (you have to remove the black joystick tip and lock washer holding shaft to the black dome shaped part) you will notice that the board has a plastic membrane. Carefully separate it from the back where it is split and peel it back until you expose the left contact points. Clean the area with some rubbing alcohol and let dry. Put the two plastic sheets back together and test out the left direction.

I have fixed various O2 joysticks doing this but be very careful and patient separating the membranes as the plastic can break and be gentle on the contact points too. Also be careful if you remove the cord connector from the contact strip on the board as any breaks in those will essentially make the joystick unusable.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I first saw the Odyssey 2 in a Service Merchandise catalog in 1979. That became my Christmas wish list #1 item and that Christmas goes down as my most memorable. Of course I got the pack in cart Speedway/Spin-Out/Crypro-Logic, other Carts that came that same Christmas were Football (the only video game I ever remember playing with my dad was this one, and we played it that day!), Baseball, and Armored Encounter/Sub Chase.

The next Christmas my friends started getting their own systems, namely Atari VCS and Sears Tele-Game VCS clones and the "who has the best games war" began...

I have been an Odyssey 2 fan and have all but one of the Magnavox titles (Power Lords) CIB. One of my joysticks went bad so I rewired them to use Atari VCS compatible joysticks and ultimately built my own Arcade sticks to use with both Atari and Odyssey 2.

Now for a confession, I may have recently crossed a sacred line... I ported UFO and Pick Axe Pete over to the Atari 2600 and a tongue-and-cheek take on K.C. Munchkin having a nightmare trapped in a 2600 system. These are far from exact ports, for one thing the Odyssey 2 can do way more sprites which made my job of porting pretty tricky, I had to cut back on some features and change things up a bit, just to keep the spirit of the original game-play alive.

I'll post the link below to my ODtari thread below if anyone is interested, 2600connection.com is also releasing UFO and Handy Pick Hank (my version of Pick Axe Pete) on carts soon.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262523-odtari-odyssey2-games-made-atari-2600-style/

I'm already a member of the videopac.nl forum and posted an article there many years back explaining how I modded my joystick ports.Search For: "Odyssey2 Controller Repair / Modification to also use Atari 2600 Joysticks"

Thanks for getting the Brotherhood going!

Edited by Neuronic
  • Like 1