IGNORED

820 ribbon and grease needed

KLund1

I think I ordered ribbons from http://ocla.com/makepagebak8.php?SUBCAT2B=EATONRIBBONS a few years ago, not certain. But, they list the ribbon for the mechanism, the Eaton LRC 7000. It even says the ink is purple, which is what is original ink color. I emailed them yesterday to find out if they still had them in stock. No answer yet. Holiday?

Would be great to confirm this. It would be nice to have several sources of ribbons for the community.

2nd Source is Confirmed. See Response below.

Our price for 12 of them (the minimum) $8.74 per ribbon.
The ground freight would be about $12-14 via US Priority mail.
We would need to order them in, take a day or two and then
re-ship them to you.

Other price breaks: 24@ 7.98ea; 36@ 7.22ea.

If you would like to go ahead and order,
let me know the qty, your company name and address
and then I will do an actual emailed final quote.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Gordon Mc Ewen
OCLA
800-624-4144, 714-670-7966

• Like 3

I am pleased to report that the Atari 820 ribbons from Ribbons Unlimited worked beautifully and you can order as many as you want! They are a family business and a real pleasure to work with. Here are some photos of the ribbon in my 820, a test print, and the box the ribbon came in with the part number listed.

Atari-820-Ribbon.jpg

Atari-820-Test-Print.jpg

Atari-820-Ribbon-Box.jpg

• Like 5

This is great news. Ordered several for my 820!

How best to store them so they do not dry out over time? Small ziplock baggy? I have seen that the 'sealed' wrappers for my desk calculator ribbons do dry out from long storage. So something else is needed. Yes I know they could be re-inked, but that is a pain. I get more ink on my hand than the ribbon.

• Like 2

Thanks for finding this source for Ribbons. I read through your blogpost. I understand searching eBay to find one of these babies in working condition. I would say they are probably the rarest of the original Atari 8bit hardware to find in working condition and not yellowed. They are pretty fun to print with. Getting one for $150 is a good deal. I’ve offered upwards of $350 on the AA forums and had no takers . I think those that have them really want them.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

Thanks for finding this source for Ribbons. I read through your blogpost. I understand searching eBay to find one of these babies in working condition. I would say they are probably the rarest of the original Atari 8bit hardware to find in working condition and not yellowed. They are pretty fun to print with. Getting one for $150 is a good deal. I’ve offered upwards of $350 on the AA forums and had no takers . I think those that have them really want them.

I love my 820 and feel really lucky have it. I think my 1020 plotter is pretty cool too but there is something so satisfying about watching this little dot matrix print and then ripping off the receipt-sized printout. I also really love the aesthetics and how it sits perfectly on top of the 810. The only thing better is to have an 815 to go under the 820.

Here is my setup. I posted this on the 8-bit FB page as well.

Atari-800-810-820-300x253.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ribbons Unlimited Update. I ordered some 820 ribbons late November. They are not due to me till Mid-January 2019. R.U. sends out the reels for loading to a 3rd party. They are taking their time. Just be patient (this is what I am being told). Just sayin'.

Good to know. Sounds like they are making them on the fly. The good news is that these are not old stock. The bad news is that you might need to wait a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, gilsaluki said:

Received my Ribbons Unlimited Atari 820 ribbons. I cannot say enough good about this small company. The ribbons were individually professionally packaged and are spot on. I highly recommend this Co. for all your ribbon needs. He is meeting the needs of a very niche segment. Good on ya, Mate!

Update.  I know this is now an old thread, but I JUST now got around to using the new ribbon on my 820 printer (they last pretty long).  I can say they are great, nice black print.  I keep my ribbons cool in the fridge.   I should be good for a long while.  Ribbons Unlimited still have them in stock at $9.95.  They also have a 3-pack of the paper for about $22.00.   Support them with your ribbon needs.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...