IGNORED

Noob question on Ultimate cart solution for Xl computers

repetto74

Hi,

The question may be stupid but I would like to confirm that any ultimate cartridge connected to the cartridge port can only read but not write.

I would like to have a decent storage solution but also the possibility to save any program I may type in on my 600xl.

I have seen the SD2Iec reader/writer to be connected to the parallel port which may be what I am looking for.

Correct - the Ultimate Cart can only read and not write. It was designed as a cartridge emulator, with the added benefit of loading XEX files (atari executables). But it is NOT a disk drive emulator.

If you want to read and write files to "disk", then the SIO2SD is probably the best modern device for you. SIO2PC is a cheaper solution, but requires your atari to be tethered to a PC or MAC.

Other options are the MyIDE II cartridge (which I think would allow you to save typed in programs), or my own most recent creation the UnoCart, which is a bit like the Ultimate Cart, but also supports ATRs (virtual disk files) with reading and writing - the main use case I had for designing this was to be able to save BASIC programs to disk.

Hope this helps,

Robin

• Like 4

I have found the SIDE2 cartridge a good storage solution. I use it together with the SIO2SD, and occasionally, also the SIO2PC/USB. Check out lotharek.pl., no affiliation :-)

Actually, if you only have an unexpanded (i.e. 16k) 600XL, I'm not sure if you'll have enough memory to load a DOS.

If you've upgraded it to 64k you should be fine with any of these solutions except probably not SIDE2, which as far as I know needs either a 128k machine, or the U1MB expansion to be used for this kind of thing.

UnoCart is my own project, and not readily available yet - link is https://github.com/robinhedwards/UnoCart

If you've got a 64k machine, probably best to check out SIO2SD first - its the most compatible replacement for a disk drive you can get.

If you've only got a 16k machine, maybe others can advise whether you'll need to upgrade memory first to use a DOS.

Robin

Hi Robin

Yes sorry I did not precise. The 600xl has the 64k internal mod. If this is enough to properly load the IDEII cartridge this is the best solution and If not no other choice then to go for an SO2IDE reader.

The SIDE2 definitely needs a 1mb upgrade to perform ATX functionalities but MyIDEII from AtariMax looks good with a 64k Xl machine. Is this complicated to set up ?

UnoCart looks very nice too and hope to see this things running soon ?

Edited by repetto74

Interesting. You mention "Some of them are released on multiple ATR images; you need a device that allows ATR images swap."

Which ones are capable of doing that? I would like to run "The Dark Crystal".

SIO2SD, SIO2PC (and SIDE cart with U1MB internal board installed).

Perhaps other devices but I cannot confirm.

Not many games need more than 4 disks: Gunsliger, Wizard's Crown.

Other games need disk saving.