IGNORED

SDrive-ARM preorder

alsp

I was thinking about how to see longer filenames and I thought about just one panel instead of two. The 1st left position of each row could be used for the drive number and the rest of the row could be the filename. You can navigate to the row you want and then hit a number key (1- 8) to assign it a drive. That number would show up in the 1st left position of that row. Assign other drives as needed and then just hold Option and press Reset and the system would boot the image assigned to drive 1. Would something like this be possible?

I´m just trying exactly that with TurboBasic. ;) Basically works, but a lot of work still to do, it´s harder to write a menu than I thought.

• Like 1

I should add that this isn't unique to this particular device, I get the same behavior on another (different) sdrive device I have as well.

As I know it is usual Atari 8 bit behaviour, Reset just restart application but not clean memory... I always use power off/on cycle to start anoth game or program.

Don't forget to hold down OPTION when booting 800XL to disable BASIC.

For what it's worth, I experienced a few issues booting DOSes and addressing disk drives early on.

I formatted another TF card (this time a 1gb Sandisk) to FAT32 and problems seem to have gone away. I did use HP USB disk storage format tool on the 1gb TF card.

I have kept the original included card untouched as a backup media.

Other speculations of mine have been newness of the 3d printed case and how well it mates with much older SIO jack on different computers?

So far, I have only tested with 48kb 400 and 800XL. Seems like the more I have moved around (plugged/unplugged SIO socket and TF cards) and tinkered with the device in general, the better it has behaved.

Hopefully any quirks this device may have will be worked out in a future firmware release.

Hang on now, is this the problem I'm having? i've had a really hard time getting alot of files to load, will i have more luck if i boot while holding the option button down and pressing reset?

Hang on now, is this the problem I'm having? i've had a really hard time getting alot of files to load, will i have more luck if i boot while holding the option button down and pressing reset?

That's been my experience with the 800XL. You have to press and hold Option right after hitting either Reset or the inverse key.

Do I have to use my PC to create another folder on the ARM? Can I access the ARM if it is daisy chained by being plugged into another device such as a disk drive, and is there a way to save files directly to the ARM from my 800XL

I have used it daisy chained with an 810 drive. I set the floppy drive as drive 2 and make sure to leave that slot open when defining the drive slots for the SDrive. I can copy files back and forth between the floppy drive and the SDrive.

Do I have to use my PC to create another folder on the ARM? Can I access the ARM if it is daisy chained by being plugged into another device such as a disk drive, and is there a way to save files directly to the ARM from my 800XL

Yes, using PC is the best way to organize folders and disk images. When not in the Sdrive menu program, Atari only sees inside whatever ATR images you have mounted in slots 1-8.

All schematics and board can be found at https://github.com/fintros/SDrive-ARM/tree/master/docs.

About LEDs - small hint - "L" in LEDxx point to "dot" on physical LED.

I figured it out from by checking which end of the LED went to VDD. The hardest part for me was the SIO pins. I finally got it though. It's working fine now, though I find that if I add any ATR's after it's been powered up with SDrive.atr and SDrive.cfg, for some reason it doesn't boot correctly after that. I found that I had to install all of the files at once then it would read them. I also somehow misplaced the screws holding the enclosure together. What size are they so I can order some more?

Edited by mutterminder

While were discussing the device, how do you load games that have multiple disks?

We have up to 8 disk drive units to play with. Try mounting multiple disks/sides ATR images as D2,D3,D4, etc. Use the touch buttons on top of Sdrive2 to cycle through which image is disk drive 1, if necessary. Some multi disk games will look on your other drives for needed data before prompting for a disk swap.

I'm interested in using a cartridge - atari artist - and saving the drawings created with it to an empty disk. If anyone has been able to do this please let me know.

So far, I have been able to start my atari 800XL with a cartridge and the SDArm inserted, with an empty disk image into D2 or D1. I can boot up the atari artist cartridge by pressing option restart 2. The problem I am having is when I try to save an image created in atari artist, that the Drives aren't recognized. I've tried swapping disks by tapping the SDArm, but no luck.

I'm interested in using a cartridge - atari artist - and saving the drawings created with it to an empty disk. If anyone has been able to do this please let me know.

So far, I have been able to start my atari 800XL with a cartridge and the SDArm inserted, with an empty disk image into D2 or D1. I can boot up the atari artist cartridge by pressing option restart 2. The problem I am having is when I try to save an image created in atari artist, that the Drives aren't recognized. I've tried swapping disks by tapping the SDArm, but no luck.

I figured it out, I needed a disk image with DOS files on it: http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-dos-25_17584.html

• Like 1

You need to have a DOS boot disk in D1: when your turn on the computer, without DOS the drives are accessible. This is described on page 18 of the Atari Touch Tablet manual.

This problem occurs when I load the drive into my PC and try to add files or folders so it shouldn't have anything to do with a switch on the drive. How do I unprotect the folder in the SD card?

Are you using the micro to full size SD card adapter? It has a switch to enable/disable write protect.