IGNORED

SDrive-ARM preorder

alsp

Recently, I also saw one in action and the form factor is indeed incredible. I did notice though that the controls are extremely sensitive. Just having your fingers somewhere in its vicinity can activate one of its buttons. But otherwise, a very nice device!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my fully assembled unit today. Any chance of getting some set up instructions?

Just unzip the attached file and throw the two files to your FAT-formatted MicroSD-Card. Add some ATR´s of your choice and start. More information is to find on the original SDrive´s project page: http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/sdrive/sdriveen.htm

sdrive.zip

post-61328-0-23781300-1506888698_thumb.jpgwhen I boot by 130XE with the ARM attached I get the attached screen, the computer continues to make a sound as if a disk is loading and it continues . I have not been able to get the computer to respond to any key commands. Select moves the highlighted bar on the screen but nothing else happens. what do I need to do

Edited by hueyjones70

I have not been able to get the computer to respond to any key commands. Select moves the highlighted bar on the screen but nothing else happens. what do I need to do

Did you used microsd card that was in parcel or prepare it by yourself? If you prepare by yourself that please use FAT32 format for a while, with FAT there are some bugs at startup.

Based on picture you've attach, everything loader loaded successfully and even read configuration, so you should able to choose folders and files by arrow and "Enter" keys, also you can try to connect joystick and manipulate with it.

Does your keyboard works in BASIC and in tests?

attachicon.gifARM Screen.jpgwhen I boot by 130XE with the ARM attached I get the attached screen, the computer continues to make a sound as if a disk is loading and it continues . I have not been able to get the computer to respond to any key commands. Select moves the highlighted bar on the screen but nothing else happens. what do I need to do

Did you try to select one of the atr files and "RETURN" it to drive one? When you did so, you just have to press "RESET" button on the ATARI and the selected file will be loaded.

The only thing that I can do is move SDDRIVE.ATR to D1, when I press reset, the computer resets to the screen with SDDRIVE.ATR in D1. I still get the continuous clicking sound and nothing else responds. I have used the joystick. My computer works with everything else that I have.

Just put some games on the sd-card and highlight one of them and press 1. that will put it in drive #1. then press the inverse/atari key to boot that game. SDDRIVE.ATR is the menu putting it in drive #1 will probably just boot you back to the menu. I've attached a PDF of the manual from the page listed earlier.

SDrive_en.pdf

I moved the SDrive to an 800XL and was able to get to the point where I got a game moved to the D1, when I pressed the inverse key the computer made the normal boot noise, when it finished all I have is a blank dark screen. I tried with two different games and got the same results. Frankly the absence of comprehensive instructions makes this thing way too much trouble; maybe I can sell it on eBay. I was hoping to get a device that could be used like a super large disk drive but this is not really worth the frustration.post-61328-0-87326200-1507055928_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to hold down OPTION when booting 800XL to disable BASIC.

For what it's worth, I experienced a few issues booting DOSes and addressing disk drives early on.

I formatted another TF card (this time a 1gb Sandisk) to FAT32 and problems seem to have gone away. I did use HP USB disk storage format tool on the 1gb TF card.

I have kept the original included card untouched as a backup media.

Other speculations of mine have been newness of the 3d printed case and how well it mates with much older SIO jack on different computers?

So far, I have only tested with 48kb 400 and 800XL. Seems like the more I have moved around (plugged/unplugged SIO socket and TF cards) and tinkered with the device in general, the better it has behaved.

Hopefully any quirks this device may have will be worked out in a future firmware release.

Did you keep pressed OPTION key for a second to disable Basic after having pressed inverse key when in the loader menu?

Frankly the absence of comprehensive instructions makes this thing way too much trouble; maybe I can sell it on eBay.

Perhaps your 130XE or your SDrive are faulty.

SDrive are very easy yet powerful devices; tens of people use them without problems.

when I pressed the inverse key the computer made the normal boot noise, when it finished all I have is a blank dark screen.

On my machines with unmodified SIO ports, I found the default FastSIO divisor of $06 (72000bps) was too fast and would cause problems with APE Warp+ OS, I would have to back it off to $0A (Ultraspeed 52000bps), $10 (Warp Speed 39000bps) or $28 (standard 19120bps)

Edited by Nezgar

I moved the SDrive to an 800XL and was able to get to the point where I got a game moved to the D1, when I pressed the inverse key the computer made the normal boot noise, when it finished all I have is a blank dark screen.ve but this is not really worth the frustration.attachicon.gifSD drive screen.jpg

Based on attached picture you've did'nt assign image to the disk, first you should press "return" to select image, after this press "return" again to assign it to th required disk number. After it 1. hold "Option", 2. press "inv" or "reset" and 3. release "option". All games should boot with this sequence.

Okay, I received my SDrive-ARM earlier this week. I've got most of the assembly finished but I don't have the schematic. And none of the pictures that have been posted here of the assembled circuit board are clear enough, Does anybody know the correct orientation of the LEDs? A clear picture of the assembled circuit board that shows this detail would be good enough, but I figure I have about a 50/50 chance of getting them all right or all wrong.

Edited by mutterminder

Okay, I received my SDrive-ARM earlier this week. I've got most of the assembly finished but I don't have the schematic. And none of the pictures that have been posted here of the assembled circuit board are clear enough, Does anybody know the correct orientation of the LEDs? A clear picture of the assembled circuit board that shows this detail would be good enough, but I figure I have about a 50/50 chance of getting them all right or all wrong.

All schematics and board can be found at https://github.com/fintros/SDrive-ARM/tree/master/docs.

About LEDs - small hint - "L" in LEDxx point to "dot" on physical LED.

Edited by alsp
  • Like 1

I just want to throw out there that this little device rocks! I only have one question (which I am sure must be documented somewhere that I havent seen); sometimes after playing a game and power cycling the computer, the bootup sequence does not occur, I just get a blank screen. I have found that I typically have to wait about 10-15 seconds after powering down before I can power back up and get back into the menu system. What causes this and is there a way to avoid this behavior? It doesnt happen with every game loaded but it happens often enough so that it would be good to know what is going on. I should add that this isn't unique to this particular device, I get the same behavior on another (different) sdrive device I have as well.

I was thinking about how to see longer filenames and I thought about just one panel instead of two. The 1st left position of each row could be used for the drive number and the rest of the row could be the filename. You can navigate to the row you want and then hit a number key (1- 8) to assign it a drive. That number would show up in the 1st left position of that row. Assign other drives as needed and then just hold Option and press Reset and the system would boot the image assigned to drive 1. Would something like this be possible?

Edited by Atari Nut

I was thinking about how to see longer filenames and I thought about just one panel instead of two. The 1st left position of each row could be used for the drive number and the rest of the row could be the filename. You can navigate to the row you want and then hit a number key (1- icon_cool.gif to assign it a drive. That number would show up in the 1st left position of that row. Assign other drives as needed and then just hold Option and press Reset and the system would boot the image assigned to drive 1. Would something like this be possible?

Long file names can be enabled by pressing 'Control - L' - the full file name will be displayed along the bottom edge of the screen. However, I like the idea of a single panel with long file names better.