IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

On 11/5/2019 at 10:07 PM, tschak909 said:

Thanks! :)

Question for the SIO wizards in the group, I need to diagnose SIO timing issues, for example, if I disable all of the debug processing, all SIO activity fails.

Do I need to grab a logic analyzer? or is there something I can use to help diagnose the timing issues?

-Thom

Technical reference notes.

Pages 150-152

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my progress:  Finished wiring up my v3 board 6 days ago and since then I have been doing my Homework searching docs and code for all the SIO commands pertaining to the 850.  My new sketch with 850 and Modem emulation is progressing quite nicely :)

From the disassembly of code from the PRC handler and Bob Puff's programs,  I have a good understand of the Code Relocation methods, so writing a new bootstrap shouldn't be too difficult :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Everyone benefits when there is an open dialogue and people share what they've discovered. I believe that AtariGeezer has benefited by the open nature of my 1088XEL project, and how I've 'shared' all aspects of such. Maybe it's time to pay it forward :) .

It helps when the information offered is acknowledged in some way. Jumping around the forum going 'someone tell me how to do this' time after time can get a bit wearing after a while for the people trying to help, especially when information often goes completely unacknowledged or is apparently ignored such that the question it supposedly answered is redeployed afterwards. I think the take away point here - and I say this as someone who's already spent half an hour or so this week writing stuff about relocatable drivers - is that when you're being spoon-fed stuff, at least make some attempt to chew and swallow. ;)

25 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I do apologize for not replying back to you, I can lose track of where I need to send replies back due to so asking in so many places.

It's OK: I'm not trying to have a go at you. Maybe it would be better to focus on one issue at a time and try to keep the queries centralised. There are like three different threads here and a bunch of tagged posts on Facebook, and I can well imagine how it would be difficult to keep track of all that.

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

It helps when the information offered is acknowledged in some way. Jumping around the forum going 'someone tell me how to do this' time after time can get a bit wearing after a while for the people trying to help, especially when information often goes completely unacknowledged or is apparently ignored such that the question it supposedly answered is redeployed afterwards. I think the take away point here - and I say this as someone who's already spent half an hour or so this week writing stuff about relocatable drivers - is that when you're being spoon-fed stuff, at least make some attempt to chew and swallow. ;)

Ok I didn't realize this was a topic spread across multiple threads (been a bit MIO lately). So as I was reading this particular thread the response did seem a little uncooperative. However without the entire history of events to base it on, I guess I was missing the reason behind the response. Bottom line is that none of this stuff is a life or death situation, so the urgency for a solution probably needs to be adjusted accordingly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mytek said:

Everyone benefits when there is an open dialogue and people share what they've discovered. I believe that AtariGeezer has benefited by the open nature of my 1088XEL project, and how I've 'shared' all aspects of such. Maybe it's time to pay it forward :) .

Just to be clear,  I have helped him out here and there pointing out errors in his code and when he asked for help on SIO Timings,  I posted the notes that I took from the Atari Hardware Manual.  I won't give him code he doesn't understand and I won't be posting code for every little function or procedure that I create along the way.  I will however post code for my project when it's working the way I intend it to.

You've heard the old adage: "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day,  Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life". 

He needs to start fishing...

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:03 PM, tschak909 said:

How's does the relocation work? I really need a chalk-talk, as I need to write a CIO handler for the R: and N: handlers for #FujiNet.

-Thom

For the R: handler, just drop a line if you need help.

I have send you a couple of version to try.

But until now, no feedback.

Relocation is a bit of a pita, you have to use MEMLO and update the loaded driver accordingly.

Then move it to the position of MEMLO, avoiding overwriting your own code or someone else, then adjust MEMLO to the new values.

If BASIC or other software has already booted, they need to be cold initialized to except the new boundaries.

I have an ESP8266 R: version that is relocatable, but the buffer is 256 bytes (fixed) and you did not want that.

Grtz.

• Like 1

I'm slowly starting to figure it out. I had done CP/M bring-up before from scratch, but even they had tools that dealt with all of the relocation fix-up (MOVCPM)...

For now, I will implement a fixed location CIO driver that sits right on top of a known DOS 2.5's memlo ($1CFC) (I can control the DOS image for now), and get the functionality in... assemble the raw binary to two different locations, and then use the delta between addresses to create a relocation table.

-Thom

• Like 2