IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

I really can´t tell you. The AT commands depend on the firmware.

If I remember correct, mine uses:

AT$BD= 9600 for setting the Baud rate

AT$SSID= for setting SSID

AT$PASS= Password

AT&W Store Settings

ATDSX where X = Stored Settings for BBS Example "1"

ATC 0 or 1 to (dis)connect to WiFi

etc....

If you had "my * " firmware, you could (* stolen by my own and changed)

type AT? what gives you all the commands

available....

Stefan

I really can´t tell you. The AT commands depend on the firmware.

If I remember correct, mine uses:

AT$BD= 9600 for setting the Baud rate

AT$SSID= for setting SSID

AT$PASS= Password

AT&W Store Settings

ATDSX where X = Stored Settings for BBS Example "1"

ATC 0 or 1 to (dis)connect to WiFi

etc....

If you had "my * " firmware, you could (* stolen by my own and changed)

type AT? what gives you all the commands

available....

Stefan

can you direct us to your firmware link to make it easy to find, you know how easy it is to get lost in endless threads, you can go post blind :)

Sirs,

I use a different ESP chip, different level shifter,

different firmware etc.

I posted all informations available and needed.

On 2.Juli, I proofed it works with 2 videos.

Kyle and the doctor can tell, I'm visiting

the BBS regularly.

I'm sorry, but I'm not guilty I you guys decided

to invent the wheel again - and it doesn't work.

Stefan

I'm not taking you to task at all. Please believe me. :(

My post indicated that you were using a different flavor of ESP8266 chip etc I also indicated that manterola also had flashed his physically similar ESP-01 module to a different firmware as well.

It seemed that the issue is with the original ESP-01 with the breakout board and firmware.

I received the second ESP-01 module Sat. but not the flasher. Maybe today........ :? The firmware on the second ESP-01 module is from a different source than the first. And still not the current firmware version from Espressif, the developer of the ESP-01.

This would indicated at least one major issue of concern. Whatever the physical shape of the ESP-01 chip/adapter, firmware is crucial.

As I requested a couple of days ago. It would be helpful if anyone who is able to connect to a BBS using the original ESP-01 with adapter board would take the time and step by step write down and if possible picture the results of each major step. This means a thorough noting of firmware version and Atari term program configuration.

I've attached the official AT instruction set pdf from Espressif as a starting point.

esp8266_at_instruction_set_en.pdf

Dropcheck, you already made it: you got echo, and could listen the high pitch sound. The only thing you have to do is to figure out how to make the module (with original firmware) to recognize the "enter". I almost sure you just need to write a valid command and then press return and then press Ctrl j.

Some degree of success at last........ :thumbsup:

Using AtariGeezer's circuit (I will test Both's in a few minutes) connected to the SIO Aux connector on the 1088XEL motherboard and the other end connected to the ESP-01 with adapter.

DSC_2847.jpg

I tried a form of this tip.

I entered a valid AT command, in this case AT+GMR and pressed the Atari's return button. The command simply echoed to the

screen as you can see.

I then pressed the CTRL button and held it down while I pressed the J key.

Something like magic happened then. The ESP-01 responded with the module version info.

To make sure I wasn't imagining it I tried another simple command AT+CIFSR and pressed the Atari's return button. The command echoed to the screen again.

I then pressed the CTRL button and held it down while I pressed the J key.

Again the magic happened. This time the ESP-01 responded with it's local IP address.

That's when I decided to get adventurous and tried AT+CIPSTART="TCP","broadway1.lorexddns.net",23.

As you can see two out of three isn't bad considering..... ;)

DSC_2851.jpg

• Like 3

Dropcheck: See? Return and then Ctrl j makes the trick! Congrats! These esp-01 are a bit tricky, but they work.

BTW, you didnt do the AT+CIPMODE=1 so you got that IPD stuff. Follow the sequence posted.

Now regarding questions about how to get connected using the original firmware:
Check the thread, I already posted a list of commands I used to get connected to vintagebbs.

edit: Here it is again:

AT+GMR
AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CIFSR
AT+CWJAP_DEF="replace with wifi name","replace with password"
AT+CWAUTOCONN=1
AT+UART_DEF?
AT+UART_DEF=9600,8,1,0,0 set comm params
AT+CIPMODE=1 transparent mode or everything get ipd prefix
AT+CIPMUX=0 no multiplexing
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","vintagebbsing.com",2325 this is one example
AT+CIPSEND to start sending your stuff to the server

Then I realized that getting connected using the original firmware is cumbersome. So I put another firmware. Stefan is also using another firmware.
The coolest part is getting Plato alpha version working. It is amazing piece of software, but that is later.

Edited by manterola

A bit of an update:

I tried both a direction connection to the SIO and Stefan Both's Rverter circuit. Same commands, etc,

One difference I noticed was that although AtariGeezer's test gave initial good results, the response seemed to garble after the first AT command. I can't say it's AtariGeezer's circuit, it could very well be my wiring.

Here's the resulting pic of both:

DSC_2852.jpg

Pic of direct connection to SIO Aux on 1088XEL:

DSC_2845.jpg

• Like 2

Dropcheck: See? Return and then Ctrl j makes the trick! Congrats! These esp-01 are a bit tricky, but they work.

BTW, you didnt do the AT+CIPMODE=1 so you got that IPD stuff. Follow the sequence posted.

Now regarding questions about how to get connected using the original firmware:

Check the thread, I already posted a list of commands I used to get connected to vintagebbs.

edit: Here it is again:

AT+GMR
AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CIFSR
AT+CWAUTOCONN=1
AT+UART_DEF?
AT+UART_DEF=9600,8,1,0,0 set comm params
AT+CIPMODE=1 transparent mode or everything get ipd prefix
AT+CIPMUX=0 no multiplexing
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","vintagebbsing.com",2325 this is one example
AT+CIPSEND to start sending your stuff to the server

Then I realized that getting connected using the original firmware is cumbersome. So I put another firmware. Stefan is also using another firmware.

The coolest part is getting Plato alpha version working. It is amazing piece of software, but that is later.

I plan on flashing the Zimodem firmware as soon as my flasher gets here. Having to press CTRL J after every AT command is definitely a drag.

One thing I noticed from the AT instruction set is that if there is a _DEF command then you have saved that setting to the ESP-01 Flash and there after do not have to enter the command again. It boots from that configuration. That at least saves some typing. ;-)

I did follow this list when I tested it on my Windows PC and was able to get a BBS connection. So I believed there wasn't a problem with the ESP-01 itself. The missing piece at least in my case was the requirement to follow EVERY AT command with CTRL J when using the Atari with BOBTerm. I assume ICET probably requires the same keypress.

A detailed video/manual is in the works. Hopefully will have it up in a day or two.

No worries at all sirs,

I often have to use my mobile to write/read

posts. I would use more icons (emoticons)

if they would be available in the mobile

version. Please understand all I wrote from a

humorous point of view (well, sometimes a bit

desperate too)

OF COURSE i keep my fingers crossed for all

your tries/attempts. But I just can't help,

because the Hard and Firmware is so different.

So, in case you guys are in total desperation,

you may consider to give MY version a try.

I' d be happy to assist.

Damn I need those fxckin smilies... ;-)

Stefan

A bit of an update:

I tried both a direction connection to the SIO and Stefan Both's Rverter circuit. Same commands, etc,

One difference I noticed was that although AtariGeezer's test gave initial good results, the response seemed to garble after the first AT command. I can't say it's AtariGeezer's circuit, it could very well be my wiring.

Here's the resulting pic of both:

DSC_2852.jpg

Pic of direct connection to SIO Aux on 1088XEL:

DSC_2845.jpg

Yep, looks like you made a typo?

AT+CIPSTART="TCP","broadway1.lorexddns.net",23. works

AT+CIPSTART="TCP","broadway1.lorexddns.org",23 .won't <- you substituted ".net" for ".org"

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 2

Doc, are you serious?

Stefan

I collected all you need at a single file.

You can download it HERE:

www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/gast/Atari_WiFi_w_Oled.zip

nah, It's just you have to keep telling every one what you are using and they keep using something else for whatever reason. I really wish the first post in the thread contained an edit with all the latest greatest so it won't get lost in the thread when it comes to your' complete package. Oh course I hadn't had any real sleep when making that post. I had forgotten the SMILEY :) doesn't always convey the humor in a post.

The threads often get long and convoluted in the forums.

Thanks again.

_Blaser__

There are so many great and free website platforms out there that are really easy to learn and use, that it really makes a lot of sense to create a webpage per project, attach images, schematics, downloads, and what not. This is what I've done with my projects, and it puts all the important bits in one easy to find place. But I still post here for the general discussion, and to bounce ideas around.

• Like 1

Ok, I got online, thanks for the CONTROL-J remark.

ESP8266 aperantly needs LF after CR and bobterm only sends CR when you press RETURN.

In other words, you need to TYPE WHAT YOU WANT <RETURN> <CONTROL-J>

I used the AT-commands as stated above.

Connection made with 2400 baud.

Logged on with NEW and NO (guest).

I looked at some messages on the general message board and then powdered off.

(already saved in my ESP, get WIFI and IP instantly)

AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CIFSR
AT+CWAUTOCONN=1
(So I did not have to do this again)
(This is what I have done, followed by RETURN and CONTROL-J)
AT+CIPMODE=1
AT+CIPMUX=0
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","broadway1.lorexddns.net",23
AT+CIPSEND
Yoho, got online, using bobterm1.23 / ESP8266 directly on SIO.
Forgot to make a picture, sorry.
Plato at the otherhand, does nothing.
I get the WIFI and IP reply back from my ESP, but can not send something to the ESP....
:-(
So no chance for me to use CIPSTART with "irata.online" , 8005
Bummer!
Update on the interface (since ATE0 did not stick, giving garbage on SIO every time I re-boot)
I changed my connections to this:
Moved Vcc from pin-10 to pin-8.
Effectively powering up when you start the cassette motor.
That works perfect for me.
Quit for today.
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Next is to get online with PLATO and speed up to 9600 or 19200.
  • Like 4

I finally had success today also- by getting the right TTL converter.

I'm using ZiMODMEM from https://github.com/bozimmerman/Zimodem

I'm using BobTerm and I don't have to hit CTRL-J or anything funny, ICET and BobTerm work perfectly normal as you would expect a terminal program to work.

My connection:

1088XEL->SIO->850->9PIN->9PIN/TTL --> ESP8266[devboard] --- WIFI ---> INTERNET

* Note I swapped TX/RX on my TTL/9PIN board to act as my null-modem.

* The flipped thing in the photo below is the other Sysly DB9 Male that I used to make an "Atari 850" Serial cable. I had a gender-changer in there also.

My BOM is below, assuming you have an 850:

$7.69 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N42QW8X- RS232 Serial Port to TTL Converter Module for Equipment Upgrades Like DVD With 4 20CM Doupont Cables

$8.39 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010O1G1ES- HiLetgo New Version ESP8266 NodeMCU LUA CP2102 ESP-12E Internet WIFI Development Board Open source Serial Wireless Module Works Great with Arduino IDE/Micropython

$7.32 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78- Elegoo EL-CP-004 120pcs Multicolored Dupont Wire 40pin Male to Female, 40pin Male to Male, 40pin Female to Female Breadboard Jumper Wires

$8.29 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZLNDYT- Sysly DB9 Male and DB9 Female D-SUB Adapter Plate Connector RS232 Serial to Terminal Board Signal Module

post-64441-0-11427700-1536712446_thumb.jpg

post-64441-0-29433000-1536712457_thumb.jpg

post-64441-0-56754600-1536712464_thumb.jpg

Edited by massiverobot
  • Like 3