IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

I've worked up the first part of an instruction manual for the original ESP-01 with original firmware. That's part one. The second part will cover actual connection to the Atari through various means. Hopefully will have that done later tonight or tomorrow.

One comment - if you buy this for $9 bucks you don't need an arduino.

$8.39 https://www.amazon.c...duct/B010O1G1ES- HiLetgo New Version ESP8266 NodeMCU LUA CP2102 ESP-12E Internet WIFI Development Board Open source Serial Wireless Module Works Great with Arduino IDE/Micropython

$8.39 https://www.amazon.c...duct/B010O1G1ES- HiLetgo New Version ESP8266 NodeMCU LUA CP2102 ESP-12E Internet WIFI Development Board Open source Serial Wireless Module Works Great with Arduino IDE/Micropython

or on ebay in FLA eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1131602401271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=113160240127&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] for $5.99

@massiverobot: can you try loading the latest test build of PLATOTerm, to see if it works? There is an r-verter handler on the disk.

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm64/releases/tag/TEST_20180911

If all goes well, you should be able to type ATDTIRATA.ONLINE:8005 and log on. :)

-Thom

I can connect ok but the charset is messed up soon as I connect. I can almost make out things. This is a XEL w/ RAM.

post-64441-0-81090800-1536800083_thumb.jpg

Edited by massiverobot

@massiverobot: can you try loading the latest test build of PLATOTerm, to see if it works? There is an r-verter handler on the disk.

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm64/releases/tag/TEST_20180911

If all goes well, you should be able to type ATDTIRATA.ONLINE:8005 and log on. :)

-Thom

Here is a video of what happens:

And you haven't been following the discussion. ;)

Currently, because these devices have no flow control, PLATOTerm does not have time to process the internal data. You will need to set to 1200bps for now.

Once these devices you guys are building have proper flow control, the data rate can be lifted.

-Thom

I have a question regarding Plato latest version:

I guess you need to load the handler thru DOS menú first, then after that (L)oad the Plato binary...right?

I tried to load the Rverter handler and it loaded but it got stuck there, it never returned to the DOS menu.

Then I turned off the computer and I tried loading Plato first, but I couldn't find a way to load the handler later from inside Plato program.

Latest version, Plato alpha, worked perfectly, btw.

Edited by manterola

ugh. blaming it on something other than their own code.

I have been BUSTING MY ARSE delivering more than 12 simultaneous targets from the same codebase.

It is being done good enough to be improved when it can be.

If you can do better, then do so. If you can contribute a better I/O handler to the code, then please, do so. Othersise.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

I have been BUSTING MY ARSE delivering more than 12 simultaneous targets from the same codebase.

It is being done good enough to be improved when it can be.

If you can do better, then do so. If you can contribute a better I/O handler to the code, then please, do so. Othersise.

-Thom

Still waiting for you to disassemble RVerter yourself with your own labels without line numbers :-D

It is MUCH simpler to do simple text output on the resulting serial data, than it is to render a PLATO display. Take a look at this if you want to understand the processing involved:

It might be above your head, though.

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm64/blob/master/src/protocol.c

-Thom

Thomas, you are the biggest complainer on this board and your comments are not liked by many.

If you think you are smart, then frick'n fix your code yourself dumba$$... :P

And by your responses, some growing up couldn't hurt either ;) 'nuff said...

Going back to the point:

* There needs to be flow control, in order for PLATOTerm to work. There is much more processing happening than a typical terminal program.

* I am working with the CC65 maintainer for the Atari side, to try and add flow control support for devices that can properly support it, for now this means MIO and BlackBox, as they have an ACIA with flow control registers that are directly accessible to the processor bus.

SIO devices by themselves can not have flow control, because all of the available control lines on the SIO port itself are being used to turn the R-Verter on and off.

So this means, that you would need, for example, to use a joystick port (for its PIA lines) and attach those to GPIO pins that can be asserted and checked by the modem firmware.

If you don't do this, anything using this interface will be prone to some form of error, as the amount of processing time for incoming data is barely enough to grab and display.

The modem firmware being used here, has no provision for local XON/XOFF, so if that were to be an option, it would need to be added.

-Thom

or on ebay in FLA eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1131602401271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=113160240127&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] for $5.99

Those are just another version of the ESP8266 series. You don't need the arduino for use of the ESP-01 board, just to do the initial setup. As I state in the pdf there are other USB programmers that allow you to change settings, but I don't presently have one of them to test with, so I used what I did have.

This is my current setup, costs just under 3$ on ebay (came from china).

Driver is up and running.

Xon/Xoff is send out when 112 bytes in the buffer and reset when empty again.

Plato does not stop on Xoff, the server keeps pumping data, same results as pictures above.

Still trying to get connection within plato.

Somehow CONTROL-J (or equivalent) does not send out the needed LF ($0A) to control the ESP....

Nice little project though.

:-)

post-6668-0-54579300-1536818749.jpg

post-6668-0-36960000-1536819145.jpg

Edited by mr-atari

I bought 2 of these ESP8266 CP2102 NodeMcu Development Boards yesterday from a local seller in CA to try..

post-26874-0-34985800-1536967289_thumb.jpg

The NodeMcu flash program loads the ZiModem firmware at address 0x00000 which doesn't work on the ESP-01 boards the same way.

I've updated the Arduino IDE to 1.6.13 and installed the Esp8266 Board Types to try another way of compiling / flashing the ZiModem firmware. We'll see how this goes after I get them early next week :)

geezer your board has other pins exposed on the reset side of pin rows that might allow for hardware flow control possibly to exist or be added, can you float that idea around in some of it's hobby support experimentation sites and see if a hack and firmware exists already or could be created?

• Like 1