IGNORED

ODtari! "Odyssey2 games made Atari 2600 Style"!

Neuronic

See how I coined the term there. :)

I've just finished "UFO" over the weekend! (for now at least, the best I could squeeze into 4K) and also here is the most recent update to "K.C.'s Crazy Nightmare!"

** Update ** I have added "Handy Pick Hank" to the files on this post to keep the collection together.

My website for other 2600 games I've made:

TacticalNeuronics.com

Reders_UFO_13.bin

Reders_UFO_13.txt

Reders_KCs_Crazy_Nightmare!_13.bin

Reders_KCs_Crazy_Nightmare!_13.txt

Reders_Handy_Pick_Hank_20170415.bin

Reders_Handy_Pick_Hank_20170415.txt

Edited by Neuronic
  • Like 11

I downloaded these last night but forgot to try, Killer Bees would make a awesome 2600 game, I also think Attack of the Timelord would be cool

Edit - Just tried them out on the Flashback Portable, and while the do run they have glitches so cant actually play. I'll have to try in Stella in a bit

Edited by Iwantgames:)

Yup, the portable emulation is somewhat broken. They work fine on Stella based emulators and the Harmony Cart with the original hardware. The members running the "portable controls fix" thread have fixed the two games I wrote that actually come on the flashback devices (Shield Shifter and Strip Off) but do not seem interested in fixing any old homebrew that comes along. I really hope future flashback portable models clean up their emulation. :)

Shieldshifter(portable).bin

Stripoff(portable).bin

Edited by Neuronic
  • Like 2

Neuronic and I have worked out an agreement and I am happy to report I will be publishing and releasing UFO for the ATARI 2600 on cartridge. UFO! was one of my favorite Odyssey2 games. More details on the web site page:

http://www.2600connection.com/features/ufo/features_ufo.html

Stay tuned for more information!

Tim

Edited by timdu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay here is my latest entry in the ODtari series... Handy Pick Hank! (inspired by Pick Axe Pete!)

Feedback welcome!

Visit my website for other 2600 games I've made:

TacticalNeuronics.com

***Updated*** version 20170411 had a bug with the pick getting locked in the lower left. this updated ROM version 20170412 has fixed that condition.

***Updated*** version 20170415 improved ladder climb to be less jarring and jump graphics a bit based on player reactions to how they looked. Ladders are a bit easier to catch while in air!

It is pretty complex under the hood so, please send feedback if you find any bugs. :)

Reders_Handy_Pick_Hank_20170415.bin

Reders_Handy_Pick_Hank_20170415.txt

Edited by Neuronic
  • Like 6

Chris++ and I just played the game-- we liked it. We made a video of us playing it on real hardware. Check it out:

(video)

How far along do you consider this game?

Adam

Thanks for the review video! It really helps me out to hear player reactions. :) The answer to how far along is this game is: well, I have hit the 4k boundary so any more work on this would go into bank switching. I may take it there, for example, I took out the ladder climb animations and simplified the jumping so I could have room for more interesting sounds. What you see is the result of many trade-offs to distill the basic action and fun of the original Odyssey2 game into the 4k rom footprint.

if you play it some more you may notice some less obvious moves like using a combination of ladder climbing with a directional jump from the top (right or left + up + jump at the right moment). Also, did you notice that you can use a door to get thrown up one level and with a combination ladder jump you can get even one more level higher out of it! (I have logged many hours of game play as I wrote it and found many strange moves that I'll call "features", since many of my favorite games have tricks that seasoned players like to use that are kind of learned over time, I decided to leave them in there).

You noticed one of safe places I left in the level, I figured they would be nice to accidentally find and give marathon players a good way to take a break. the door top one is one of the two safe places I know of, both are not perfectly safe though...you noticed the yellow boulder that goes only left and right, and does not fall? These come from two boulders (purple and green I believe) crossing paths in just the right way, they do two things, first, they can generate keys and secondly, they turn to gold (yellow) and stay on the same level. these are worth more points than normal boulders and can kill you if you are standing in a safe place on that same row. So the best scenario is to get lucky and have a gold bolder on another row, and then your safe spot is truly safe, until you get tired of doing nothing. :)

The white dot at the bottom is a sad representation of a trap door where non-gold boulders escape and get transported back to one of the doors above. I do like the fact that it could also represents the one life!

Yes the squished jump graphic is a bit weird, I tried many things out, but Its current form used the least memory and left room for other game elements.

So I guess I'm done with what I'll call the 4k version unless some game stopping bug rears its ugly head. <<---- Update just updated to version 20070415 to clean up the climbing and jump a bit.

Glad you found it interesting enough for a video!

John Reder <--- you got the pronunciation right! :)

Edited by Neuronic

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report Neuronic and I have also worked out an agreement for HANDY PICK HANK and I will be publishing and releasing it for the ATARI 2600 on cartridge. PICK AXE PETE! was also one of my favorite Odyssey2 games. More details on the web site page:

http://www.2600connection.com/features/hank/features_hank.html

Stay tuned!

Tim

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Nice work porting Odessey 2 to Atari 2600.

So... ever try porting 2600 to O2? :D

Curious what it would take to port a 4K 2600 game to a O2.

Writing any O2 game is on my bucket list. It was my first real console as a kid. I wish I had a Harmony style cart that I could test my code on the real O2 hardware. The emulators seem a bit off to be trusted.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing UFO Reder on today's (Fri Dec 11) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

542238072_20201211-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.aef2609543e637cdb98dab315f48cf9c.jpg

• 4 months later...