IGNORED

Testers for LTO Flash! UI Update: jzIntv Integration

intvsteve

The LTO Flash! User Interface Software (LUI) finally has an integrated jzIntv launcher! Is it actually ready? Maybe you'll help decide! Are there willing guinea pigs, or should I just unleash this update and hope for the best?

Of note:

• Includes the very latest build of jzIntv (or you can point it to your own copy)
  • You provide your own EXEC, GROM and ECS ROMs
  • Integrated with 'LUI', you can easily choose a ROM from your ROM list and run it
  • You can browse for other ROMs not in your list, too
  • By default, LUI uses information associated with the ROM to determine jzIntv settings (if the ROM is in your ROM list) -- stuff like enabling ECS, et. al.
  • You can customize command line to your heart's content if 'automagic' isn't your cup of tea
  • Includes other bug fixes, too!
  • There's even an update to the LTO Flash! firmware
  • Available for Mac and Windows

It's a bit different than Arnauld's UI, but hopefully still simple to use.

If you're working on ROMs that use special features such as JLP flash, etc. you may find the rough edges. LUI does offer a way to help with this, via the 'Edit ROM Features' feature.

Also of note: I haven't tested with keyboard hackfiles, or joystick configurations. I tend to play directly on the console almost exclusively. These options can be configured in the settings, of course - and as mentioned, you can forgo all the 'magic' and fully specify the command line if you wish.

This was supposed to be ready for PRGE, but a hard drive failure a week before the show and other events conspired to delay this far longer than I'd hoped.

• Like 5

"LUI"?

or should it be LFUI, as in "le fooey" with a pompous French accent to go along with it?

I've not purchased the LTO Flash! yet, but can I install and use this new LUI software to be my new jzintv GUI to replace Arnauld's GUI?

And then when I do purchase the cart, then I'll be all ready to go?

Or is the cart required for all this to work?

You don't need the actual LTO Flash! hardware until you want to put ROMs onto it. ;)

Rather than thinking of this UI as a replacement, think of it as an alternative to Arnauld's UI. His UI inspired and informed mine, but this one is necessarily quite different.

If you have an Intellicart, you can use it with the software as well. At some point, I'd like to add CC3 support for serial download as well as a menu editor, but there hasn't been much interest expressed.

I think I'll work up the release notes and have the links go live if I can get to it tonight.

EDIT: The shorthand 'LUI' is simply from LTO Flash! User Inteface.

• Like 1

Updated version here:

http://intvfunhouse.com/intvfunhouse/ltoflash/

If you've already got the software, next time you launch you'll probably be asked about updating after a few seconds. Update process is:

1. Download the appropriate file at the above link

2. Run the installer (Windows), or double-click the .dmg and drag app where you want it

Remember:

Not a signed app, so:

Mac: right click to launch for first time

Windows: "Unblock" the .zip file, then extract and launch

And, Mac users: If this is the first time you're installing, please follow directions at above link regarding MonoMac.

I've got a "port" of the Mac version to 64-bit XamMac in the works. It's completely untested outside my dev machine, and I've got to make a few tough decisions about making the switch. On the plus side: (a) You won't have to install anything extra (as far as MonoMac goes) and (b) No more MonoMac download. On the downside, the download from my site will be larger.

Is there a button we can push on the controller that takes me back to main LTO menu while I am playing a rom? Or one that resets the game?

Im trying to set up with controller extenders for middle of the room play, and it would be nice if that could be implemented.

Somehow a series of unique button presses, or holding certain buttons?

If this is already available, let me know.

Is there a button we can push on the controller that takes me back to main LTO menu while I am playing a rom? Or one that resets the game?

Im trying to set up with controller extenders for middle of the room play, and it would be nice if that could be implemented.

Somehow a series of unique button presses, or holding certain buttons?

If this is already available, let me know.

To my knowledge, there's not a way to reset from the controller. You can hold the reset button on the console for about 2-3 seconds to get back to the game select menu.

At one point, the notion of a special key sequence combined with reset came up, but to my knowledge it's not in the firmware. I'll pass this along to Joe in case he hasn't seen this thread.

nearly off the USB controller adapters have extra buttons that are activated by pressing specific keypad combos, and these are mapped out in the jzintv hackfile for at least reset, quit, and pause, etc, so maybe these keypad combos can be added into the firmware of the LTO Flash so the console will have similar functions through the stock controller?

Yeah, I dont want to get up and walk over to the console!

Right now, I also have to turn the system off then on to go back to the main menu. Maybe suggest some button presses to do this? I dont even know if its possible.

You don't have to turn it off. Hold the reset button down for 2-3 seconds. But, you will still need to drag your carcass close enough to the console to reach that button. :P

I have posed the question about whether it's possible to have such a feature for reset EDIT: while a game is running END-EDIT in the firmware to Joe.

How do you activate the jzintv joystick input in this LUI jzintv settings?

In Arnauld's GUI, I only need to click on the checkbox and it will automatically add the --js0="" into the command line.

So for the LUI jzintv joystick input setting, I am going to need to add the --js0="" into the that big text field?

It should be as simple as clicking a checkbox for each desired joystick so people don't need to worry about the actual command line argument that needs to be entered unless they need to use specific settings for their joystick.

post-43396-0-71642800-1487817280_thumb.jpg

post-43396-0-29039100-1487817286_thumb.jpg

A side question: Is there a way to see the actual command line that is complete with all the arguments? It would be nice to see the actual completed command line that will be used in that Advanced settings tab like you do in Arnauld's GUI, but this is not something that I'd say is a requirement. I can revert back to Arnauld's GUI when I want to play with special settings.

How do you activate the jzintv joystick input in this LUI jzintv settings?

In Arnauld's GUI, I only need to click on the checkbox and it will automatically add the --js0="" into the command line.

So for the LUI jzintv joystick input setting, I am going to need to add the --js0="" into the that big text field?

It should be as simple as clicking a checkbox for each desired joystick so people don't need to worry about the actual command line argument that needs to be entered unless they need to use specific settings for their joystick.

attachicon.gifjoystick actication.jpg

attachicon.gifjs0 setting.jpg

A side question: Is there a way to see the actual command line that is complete with all the arguments? It would be nice to see the actual completed command line that will be used in that Advanced settings tab like you do in Arnauld's GUI, but this is not something that I'd say is a requirement. I can revert back to Arnauld's GUI when I want to play with special settings.

Your side question first: Right click on a ROM and choose "Show jzIntv command line" for that ROM's specific command line.

To your other question: Having not used joystick config, I assumed an empty string was a no-op -- i.e. I thought it had to be set to some value. So, those fields expect something typed into them. I'll need to be schooled on the argument. I didn't read all the source for all the args. :dunce: <- that's me!

Escape hatch: On the 'Advanced' page, there's an option to add your own arguments in addition to the defaults. You should be able to put it there until I find time to sort the --js stuff out.

Your side question first: Right click on a ROM and choose "Show jzIntv command line" for that ROM's specific command line.

Oh, that's spiffy. Thanks.

I'll add some ROMs and see what I can see.

To your other question: Having not used joystick config, I assumed an empty string was a no-op -- i.e. I thought it had to be set to some value. So, those fields expect something typed into them. I'll need to be schooled on the argument. I didn't read all the source for all the args. :dunce: <- that's me!

Escape hatch: On the 'Advanced' page, there's an option to add your own arguments in addition to the defaults. You should be able to put it there until I find time to sort the --js stuff out.

OK, I will test it out later tonight when I get home and pull out my Raphnet adapter. I'd imagine that simply adding the --js0="" to that textbox will be sufficient.

In Arnauld's GUI, by clicking the checkbox and leaving the textbox clear will simply add --js0="" to the command line, and I'd recommend that you do something similar for all the people out there that are not familiar with command line arguments.

You want to use a joystick, then click the checkbox and you are ready to go.

His GUI has a nice joystick configuration window that adds additional arguments to that textbox that you should be able to replicate, but I've never needed to use it and I'd imagine such an enhancement should be put on your back-back burner for now.

Thanks for the timely feedback! I was trying to minimize the number of UI elements and didn't dig deeply into some of areas -- obviously. You know the old saying about "assuming" anything... I thought those checkboxes were there simply to allow editing the text fields. Shoulda dug more.

Every UI element that is added, I need to address for multiple platforms, so shaving things out == time saved.

The joystick support is not working correctly.

When the textbox is left blank, then there is no --js0="" added to the command line, so obviously no joystick support is added.

But when I do add the --js0="" to the textbox, then within the command line here are two of the --js0="" arguments.

Well, actually it is attempting to add the data in the textbox as settings for the joystick, so you get this: --js0="--js0="""

I think the best fix would be to add the checkbox, as in Arnauld's GUI, and that should add the --js#="" then the textbox can be left blank and will be properly used for joystick settings (if needed) that are added between the quotes.

jzIntv will execute the ROM 'AD&D - Treasure of Tarmin' with the following command line, based on the current settings:

C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\jzintv.exe -e "C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\EXEC.bin" -g "C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\GROM.bin" --kbdhackfile=C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\hackfile.txt --js0="--js0=""" "E:\Users\fdr\My Documents\LTO Flash\ROMs\AD&D - Treasure of Tarmin.rom"

post-43396-0-81289500-1487831177_thumb.jpg

and I don't see the resolution argument, or the windowed/fullscreen argument either. I am not sure if the default settings used mean that there is no need for those particular arguments in the command line.

I don't think --js0="" really does anything. Joystick support is always on and works without any --js# switches.

One thing I noticed with keyboard hackfiles and Windows is that if there are spaces in the path you have to surround the entire switch with quotes not just the path.

bin\jzintv "--kbdhackfile=C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\hackfile.txt"

The joystick support is not working correctly.

When the textbox is left blank, then there is no --js0="" added to the command line, so obviously no joystick support is added.

But when I do add the --js0="" to the textbox, then within the command line here are two of the --js0="" arguments.

Well, actually it is attempting to add the data in the textbox as settings for the joystick, so you get this: --js0="--js0="""

I think the best fix would be to add the checkbox, as in Arnauld's GUI, and that should add the --js#="" then the textbox can be left blank and will be properly used for joystick settings (if needed) that are added between the quotes.

jzIntv will execute the ROM 'AD&D - Treasure of Tarmin' with the following command line, based on the current settings:

C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\jzintv.exe -e "C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\EXEC.bin" -g "C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\GROM.bin" --kbdhackfile=C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\hackfile.txt --js0="--js0=""" "E:\Users\fdr\My Documents\LTO Flash\ROMs\AD&D - Treasure of Tarmin.rom"

attachicon.gifmistake with joystick support.jpg

and I don't see the resolution argument, or the windowed/fullscreen argument either. I am not sure if the default settings used mean that there is no need for those particular arguments in the command line.

You don't type the --js="" in on the joystick page. You leave that blank, then go to the 'Advanced' page where you can customize the command line.

When a setting matches the default, it's not put into the command line.

I don't think --js0="" really does anything. Joystick support is always on and works without any --js# switches.

One thing I noticed with keyboard hackfiles and Windows is that if there are spaces in the path you have to surround the entire switch with quotes not just the path.

bin\jzintv "--kbdhackfile=C:\Program Files (x86)\INTV Funhouse\LTO Flash!\jzIntv\Win\bin\hackfile.txt"

Dang... I know I made the changes to fix that... Maybe I haven't pushed all the code around where it needs to be yet. :/

To my knowledge, there's not a way to reset from the controller. You can hold the reset button on the console for about 2-3 seconds to get back to the game select menu.

At one point, the notion of a special key sequence combined with reset came up, but to my knowledge it's not in the firmware. I'll pass this along to Joe in case he hasn't seen this thread.

How would this even be possible? Once you start the game, the CPU of the console is under control of the program in the ROM, unless all ROMs have been patched in a way to have special code to detect a specific input and reset.

-dZ.

• Like 1

mr_me - I just tested this and you are correct that the --js0="" is not needed unless you need to add configuration settings between the two " marks. My only experience has been with using Arnauld's GUI and with no instructions and seemed intuitive that if you want a joystick then you click the checkbox.

And after placing the hackfile in a path without a space in it, so the "" around it are not needed, then I was able to actually start jzintv and play game thru the LUI software.

so at this point the only thing that needs to be fixed is adding the " marks around the hackfile path when there is a space in the path.

intvsteve - Joe has added additional screen resolutions into jzintv.

I know these are supported:

-z1920x1080,8
-z1920x1080x16
-z1920x1080x24
-z1920x1080x32

These don't seem to be documented anywhere, so I don't know of any others that he may have added, but I have a PM from Joe from a year ago about these particular resolutions. If I recall, he mentioned that they were added when if was worked on jzintv support for RetroPie.

I tested the version that you are using and they are working well.

intvsteve - Joe has added additional screen resolutions into jzintv.

I know these are supported:

-z1920x1080,8

-z1920x1080x16

-z1920x1080x24

-z1920x1080x32

These don't seem to be documented anywhere, so I don't know of any others that he may have added, but I have a PM from Joe from a year ago about these particular resolutions. If I recall, he mentioned that they were added when if was worked on jzintv support for RetroPie.

I tested the version that you are using and they are working well.

Actually, there's a whole little syntax supported for putting whatever you want in there, though of course not all may work out. I didn't put everything into the dropdown list simply because it could quickly become cumbersome. So I arbitrarily chose some, and figured 'full screen' or the customizable command line would cover the rest. ;)