IGNORED

How would YOU interface/make/modify a WIRELESS joystick for the TI?

Omega-TI

I know there are some pretty talented hardware guys here in the TI forum on Atari Age. I also know there are many ways to accomplish the same task. This made me ponder how, and by which means or methods you guys would take towards creating a wireless joystick.

1) Would you design & create your own interfacing methods?

2) Would you use pre-existing off the shelf components?

Basic Questions....

A) Is there something 'out there' that could be modified to work as a receiver dongle for the joystick port?

B) Anything small enough to fit in a joystick as the transmitter with the battery?

C) What pre-existing joystick would consider using?

As I've been focusing on my modernized and updated small footprint system, I'm thinking of other ways to pack more punch into the limited space?

• Like 1

I know there are some pretty talented hardware guys here in the TI forum on Atari Age. I also know there are many ways to accomplish the same task. This made me ponder how, and by which means or methods you guys would take towards creating a wireless joystick.

1) Would you design & create your own interfacing methods?

2) Would you use pre-existing off the shelf components?

Basic Questions....

A) Is there something 'out there' that could be modified to work as a receiver dongle for the joystick port?

B) Anything small enough to fit in a joystick as the transmitter with the battery?

C) What pre-existing joystick would consider using?

As I've been focusing on my modernized and updated small footprint system, I'm thinking of other ways to pack more punch into the limited space?

I have a Serial Mouse I use with he TI99/4A and run a MOUSE DSR utility.

You can plug the Serial Mouse into a Serial to USB adapter and plug a Wireless mouse into that, but you have to use a really slow old mouse like I have from 1992.

For the Joystick there was a box you could build that output / input to a Serial device and you could plug a serial to USB adapter into that one, but again you need a old mouse.

Another solution is just hack the mouse guts.

I don't personally care for the wireless joysticks. I saw a video for a VERY nice Bluetooth controller for the Apple II that pretty much enabled an SNES controller to work with the Apple II. However, it appeared to have some issues. Not sure if it was because of latency, etc.

So, if *I* was going to design a joystick interface for the TI (or any other vintage computer), I would LOVE to design one that worked with the classic NES controller. Wired. I don't have the need to sit far away from my console and one more wire doesn't bother me. :-)

But that's what I would love to see. Something to allow me to use an NES controller on my TI. Might be a good candidate for the first 32K "shield". :-)