IGNORED

Wavy Navy is a hidden gem

VicViper

I never hear anyone talk about this game, and it is one of the best Galaxian clones i have ever played. The attack helicopters are terrifying, the waves change directions and speeds, and the mines and missiles keep you on your toes for positioning. And the little touches are amazing as well; Every level has a different nautical ditty play when you clear it, and there are ALOT of different songs, from "Drunken Sailor" to Popeye's Theme." There is even an option to use Paddle controllers for that extra nautical feel. Play this!

• Like 20

Wow, I'm stunned that it was classed by the OP as a hidden gem, its one of the early games I feel in love with straight away. I never realised at the time it was an Apple port nor would I have cared, it was a great little shooter that was immensely fun.

Hidden, definitely not...:)

Wow, I'm stunned that it was classed by the OP as a hidden gem, its one of the early games I feel in love with straight away. I never realised at the time it was an Apple port nor would I have cared, it was a great little shooter that was immensely fun.

Hidden, definitely not... :)

I've been collecting and playing various vintage games, computers and consoles for 15 years, i had never heard of it. Stumbled upon it when i was just wholesale downloading ROMS when i got my Atarimax cart a few years back and fell in love.

Easy to see why people love it, themed on a already great fun game, easy to pick up and genuinely great fun (bloody choppers!!), also one of the first games I trained but in my mitigation I played it to death totally untrained before.

One of those games that gets a regular boot up..

Not "hidden" at all. Do a search on these forums to find out. Great game.

Played a couple of times here in the High Score Club - has some info on the 2 versions too:

HSC 11 A-Z of Gaming: W&X

Again plugging the club - it's a great way of finding these gems and enjoying games more - so please join in people! The new season is on round 3 but you can post scores for previous rounds too :)

• Like 1

I never hear anyone talk about this game, and it is one of the best Galaxian clones i have ever played. The attack helicopters are terrifying, the waves change directions and speeds, and the mines and missiles keep you on your toes for positioning. And the little touches are amazing as well; Every level has a different nautical ditty play when you clear it, and there are ALOT of different songs, from "Drunken Sailor" to Popeye's Theme." There is even an option to use Paddle controllers for that extra nautical feel. Play this!

A year or two back it was discovered that the .ATR of this game when written back to and used on a real floppy disk the game would fail. I believe when you get to level 2 the ship will no longer move left or right. Some remnant of copy protection was still in the .ATR.

Joe_z found one or two issues and corrected them however at the time the patched .ATR had never been tested beyond 2 or 3 levels.

Notes on this patch are somewhere in these forums. These notes seem to be illuding me today. = :o Sorry.

P.S. As far as I know the .XEX version of this game is still broken. The helicopters do not shoot.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

I remember seeing it in Sirius ads (probably in Compute! magazine) and liked it when I got a pirated copy although I remember it to be quite hard. Those waves sure make it quite different from other Galaxian-type games and often force your boat right into the way of hostile fire. And those helicopters are quite ruthless in blasting you out of the water. It sure has Apple look and feel.

Wavy Wavy my sunken Navy!

omg didn't everyone play the crap out of this one.... The Atari version was the best imho....

Apple's never quite got the goods on much... the only reason people stuck with those machine was their basic wasn't crippled and slots for cards..

ah memories of a child and his games. life was good.

Never had an Apple, wanted one because it looked so 'cool' with a great keyboard and fancy looks but my destiny was to be the Atari as my second colour computer after the Vic 20 and it was my instant favourite. Some great ports from the Apple like AE, Bandits and of course Wavy Navy, they felt better on the Atari (after comparing emulated Apples) but were never really pimped up for the Atari although there were little tributes like the Apple in the Bandits logo being eaten to reveal an Atari logo.

And yes, the sea is what makes Wavy Navy such a good variation on the Invaders / Galaxian style of shooters, its just one more thing to watch and makes the game.

• Like 2