IGNORED

Battlesphere

Xebec

How in the world does someone spend over 10 grand on a video game?

Apparently he would pay people to mine and level him up.... I don't get it myself, I find WoW boring. If I am going to play an RPG, I want something with depth in story, and one that doesn't force you to grind.

But on the opposite side of that coin, having everything level with you makes it boring a lot of times. Especially when you start getting high level armor from bandits that should otherwise just run away from you... yup, talking about Oblivion and Skyrim here...

Back on topic.. I loved Star Raoliders and really want a copy of battlesphere. Would be awesome if Saint could work out some deal so that the rom could be included with the Jaguar SD, but I am betting that would never happen.

Apparently he would pay people to mine and level him up.... I don't get it myself, I find WoW boring. If I am going to play an RPG, I want something with depth in story, and one that doesn't force you to grind.

I think it is interesting how you have bots going through and building in game materials to sell for real money like that (speaking of the miners). Now that to me is just enterprising. :D

Battlesphere revamp of Star Raiders ("Alone Against the Empires" selectable game) was mentioned earlier. Love it! When we got that we got the version of Star Raiders for the Jaguar that I could add to my collection but was a worthy update of Star Raiders. And in the game you have nods to Star Raiders. The photon sound effect, I believe the select sound, and the three tone notification sound. For hyperspace I also like the warp tunnel effect you can select in Battlesphere Gold which was similar to the warp effect in the recently found Star Raiders 2.

• Like 1

Wait, what ? Battlesphere is supposed to be a remake/upgrade of Star Raiders ?

I only watched it on YT, but still - it never really reminded me of SR, like at all. And I abused SR on Atari 800XL,,,,

The Alone Against the Empires mode was their "homage" to Star Raiders.

The Alone Against the Empires mode was their "homage" to Star Raiders.

Thanks. I found this video based on the mode name:

The only Star-Raiders thing I see there is the galactic map. The combat is still full 6 DOF simulation style (which is nothing like in SR). Of course, it's more advanced, and more suitable for jag's HW, no argument there.

It just does not feel like arcade SR at all, that's all I'm saying. But, there's obviously a huge market for full 6 DOF space simulators, no argument there !

I wasn't present for neither drama, nor hype (a decade or so ago), hence I'm absolutely not skewed in either way, as the first time I really noticed BattleSphere was few years ago when I saw the nowadays "outrageous" price of $199 on eBay.

I'm judging it merely by how it appears on YT videos and the combat absolutely does not remind me of Star Raiders. But I don't feel the need to argue about it. It's my personal opinion.

I guess if I ever want to play something close to Star Raiders on Jag, I'll just have to code it myself (now I wish I rather spent my jag dev time on rendering 3D meshes, instead of large terrain)...

I think the misunderstanding here is that when we talk about "Star Raiders", I mistakenly always implicit Star Raiders II (arcade, faster pace, love it), not Star Raiders I (which has 6 DOF space simulator feel, slower pace, never much liked it).

I can see how "Alone Against the Empires mode" is homage to Star Raiders (but to SR I, not SR II). Sorry, not my cup of tea...

Take recent Rebel Galaxy for example. Does not have full 6 DOF, yet plays wonderfully, without constant aiming frustration on a console controller (if we have a mouse, that's a different matter altogether)...

So you prefer the "Star Raiders" that is generally considered to be inferior and forgettable, over the groundbreaking one that inspired the entire genre of space combat sims. To the point that when anyone talks about Star Raiders you actually think they're referring to a completely different game.

This explains so much.

• Like 3

Gotta be honest. I know I'm going to get a ton of flak for this...

But I think I'm totally "over" Battlesphere.

Not going to lie, I would still buy it if they re-released it. But there is definitely a hard (and low) limit to what I would spend.

When I compare it to all the games I grew up playing... games that I played LONG before Battlesphere came out... like even Wing Command 2... I just can't get into it. It's just a space shooter, there doesn't appear to be any plot at all. Less of a plot than even Trevor McFurr... which is still cool.

Lot of time was put into the game, and they did a great job, but the Jaguar really just wasn't meant for games of that style, and I chaulk it up to that.

It's rare that I'll bash a game... very rare. You'll get me on two games... this game (now), and Brutal Sports Football... hahah...

Anyway, I don't mean to bring hate or rage to anyone... just being a little emotional today and thought I'd let it all out! hahah.

Wait, what ? Battlesphere is supposed to be a remake/upgrade of Star Raiders ?

I only watched it on YT, but still - it never really reminded me of SR, like at all. And I abused SR on Atari 800XL,,,,

Check out these videos I made, having fun with my comparison of Atari 800 Star Raiders and Atari Jaguar "Alone Against the Empires" on Battlesphere

• Like 3

It's Saturday. You know he's juiced right now.

Hahaha... I wasn't. I just.... the game annoys me. It feels like it's got the same following as a dancing boy band from the late 90s and early 2000s. Hahaha... sorry.

I like Tempest, it's awesome... but I just... man... I expect so much more from a game like Battlesphere. If it maybe even had the plot that HoverStrike had... I'd be ok with it.

So you prefer the "Star Raiders" that is generally considered to be inferior and forgettable, over the groundbreaking one that inspired the entire genre of space combat sims. To the point that when anyone talks about Star Raiders you actually think they're referring to a completely different game.

This explains so much.

Unfortunately, I've only seen Star Raiders I about 2-3 years after I stopped playing Atari, and at that time was playing Wolfenstein 3D on 80386, so obviously, Star Raiders I could not possibly have made an impact on me in year 1992 (that's almost 15 years, which is a lot in graphics), and that's why I erroneously always implicit SR II, not SR I.

I absolutely agree that for 1979 it's a groundbreaking effort and it must have blown socks off people playing it.

The thing is, I missed the game completely, that's all.