IGNORED

Anyone likes to hack a new demo?

Irgendwer

Btw: It's called "illusion" , but it is none. The black and white lines were aligned "off" , to have the shifted optical effect. The black and white lines were shifted for real. It's just the first moment that makes the eyes awaiting some additional movement.

Edited by emkay

It wouldn't be the first time they've been either incorrect, mislabeled something, or didn't describe what they were doing correctly..

emkay is correct to a degree...

the illusions are only truly on some of the examples.... on others it is an effect.... depending on the persons understanding and acuity.

while watching I clearly saw a difference between those perceptions.

True illusions take advantage of the optical interpreter of the brain and forces it to filter input incorrectly...

for example disappearing items arise in the primary visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes information about static and moving objects.

so a blinking dot in the center of a screen surrounded by static or non blinking dots usually equally spaced from that center dot will cause the static non blinking dots to disappear / fade in and fade out while you are staring at that central dot....

that is an illusion..... and very effective

that being said I still would love to see more demos using all of these technics....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Naturally I cannot judge what you see, but my perception cheats me while i get the impression that the "Gabor-Elements" are moving - which they don't, they only drift.

So putting colour-cycling elements in a bigger context let them appear to move. I don't know what your term is for that, I call that an illusion...

Edit: Hint: Pause the video several times and examine how your perception "corrects" itself...

Edited by Irgendwer

Its a nice 'effect' with I presume colour cycling in some form on the static items, would look nice on the Atari but I can imagine it would be done to overkill.

Also, I don't want to damage my eyesight any more than it is already, what with those cross eyed 3D old poster craze from years ago I'm stunned I don't look like Marty Feldman these days...

• Like 1