IGNORED

Homebrew Releases and Reproduction Carts - Please Read!

Sauron

OK, not Jag related but on the same subject:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262653-noob-question-about-new-coleco-games/

Surely those MSX/SG1000 ports on CV have the permissions of Sega/Konami .... or are those games now PD?

When it comes to ports it will really be nice to have some clarity from the re-publisher.

BTW CJ is in AU time so he may not be able to chime in now but I know for a fact that a few of his ST port have not been made available at the request of the author/copyrights holder.

I do not know if the rest are there until further notice or have obtained permission, we do know that Xenon2 was all legit all the way (with a limited run clause).

So before making a mess out of his ST ports allow CJ to wake up, have a coffee, take a much deserved morning crap and then answer himself.

Also we do know Piko buys the rights so does Songbirds so there we should be clear, I hope.

Surely there is a clear distinction here between homebrew and the ST ports.

Of course there is, the problem is as follows: Porting an ST cart to the jaguar where permission was NOT given by the original developers of the ST rom is ok but taking a free homebrew and tossing on a few eproms and placing inside a cart for someone who lacks that ability all of the sudden violates copyright laws?

How does one NOT see the hypocrisy in that? They are taking roms they have no rights to an altering them which on its own violates more copyrights than taking a freeware game and simply providing a service for that game. In the later the freeware is not being altered or used in any other programming. The freeware is simply being placed on media a person can use for their own personal use.

This honestly is starting to remind me of Nintendo Age right now. They like to control what games can be made for Nintendo. As long as you are in their click it is ok to do whatever you want. Like bunny boy making reproductions of NWC is totally fine regardless of all copyright laws that have been bypassed. However repro something like Little Samson and OMG what did you just do.

• Like 1

Surely there is a clear distinction here between homebrew and the ST ports.

Please enlighten me, because I don't see the difference at all if explicit permission wasn't obtained from the original devs.

And please don't call me Shirley. ;)

• Like 2

Please enlighten me, because I don't see the difference at all if explicit permission wasn't obtained from the original devs.

And please don't call me Shirley. ;)

Are the ST ports not of software released into the public domain? Hence the reason why Xenon 2 was treated differently, I thought that was the distinction. It would be for those involved to clarify though not me.

You can call me Shirley if you like! ?

• Like 1

Are the ST ports not of software released into the public domain? Hence the reason why Xenon 2 was treated differently, I thought that was the distinction. It would be for those involved to clarify though not me.

You can call me Shirley if you like!

Go to the ST port thread and notice that there are 2 ports not available, no binary linked there for Frontier or Virus, nothing to do with port-completion level.

AFAIK for those the author/copyright owner asked to be removed, on top of that I think the "llamatron guy" actually was happy about his ports (not sure that constitute authorization)

So told CJ is probably still sleeping, allow the sun to rise again "down under" and give him the time to reply, it's 4AM in Adelaide.

Well regardless of the production of such games I was told I could make myself a copy and it did look fun so I did. I did make a nice label from the attached picture image. I have played it about 6 times and just scored over 10,000 13,000. Not really sure if that's good but it does appear to get harder and totally random. Having to make running leaps from one side to the other.

No wanting to derail the thread but this Is a fun game.

edit new high score.

post-25078-0-33843000-1488580809_thumb.jpg

Wow, this kicked off.

well here we go (and yes, I just woke up)

I don't care that people make reproductions of games on the Jaguar, with exception to homebrew games.

This is true on other systems as well, and people generally respect the homebrew authors' wishes and don't make physical copies of their games. Even in the cases where a game was released in a "limited" run and is no longer available for purchase. Making copies of games without the authors' permission will just discourage them from continuing to develop for the Jaguar.

As for the ST ports, I had no intention of making them available in cart form initially, but many people asked for physical copies of the games so they could enjoy them on real hardware, and the usual nonsense of asshats selling them in cart on ebay at $80+ was occurring more and more often, so I discussed it with Albert and we made them available. While they are ports of ST games, a significant amount of work is still required to bring them over to the Jaguar, in many cases they have major enhancements.

It's funny (and hypocritical, even - oh such sweet irony) that someone here berating me about exactly this has a store on Etsy and Ebay with over 100 reproductions for sale, and over 1100 items sold on Etsy alone - none of which they have permission for.

Reading here, the consensus is apparently that other people can and should be allowed to make copies of these games (and sell them) just fine, and yet to have a "proper" release with a nice label and guaranteed production quality is "ooh, so bad". There is your double standard (or is it triple?)

The solution is simple: I've asked Albert to stop selling them, which will also allow him to focus his energies on homebrews and licensed titles for the Jaguar.

But I would like to mention that prototypes and unfinished games have been distributed and even sold (and continue to be sold) by many parties on the Jaguar without permission, and nobody bats an eye at those. I don't care about them, as long as they are marked as such when being sold. For example, do you think Warner gave permission for Tiny Toons? Nobody seemed to care about that when it was released.

What about this current list from B&C? Anyone complaining about that?

JAGBIG Atari The Big Disk test disk and demo $15
JAGHERO American Hero Gamefilm Demo $18 Adult Theme
JAGCAVE Caves of Fear Gamefilm Demo $15
JAGDME Demolition Man Demo $15
JAGF1 Formula 1 Racer 2 CD $25 See below req Bypass
JAGVARE Varuna's Force 2 CD $25.00 Demo

JAGHQ1 New Atari HQ #1 CDROM $14.95 IBM CDROM see below
JAGFSC Fight for Life Source Code CDROM. $15 IBM CDROM see below

Everyone happy now?

/smfh.

• Like 3