IGNORED

Last time you fought?

KWKBOX

Which of the two? I vote Streets Of Rage.

I was SNES kid back in the early '90s, but after I got a Genesis a few years back, I dove back into 16-bit gaming. I like Final Fight enough to have picked up the first one and a SFC cart of Final Fight 2, but at no point playing either of them did they approach the atmosphere the first two Streets Of Rage games conjured up for me. They're both good, but Streets just has that mysterious x-factor that pulls me in. The music is SO good, the controls are great, the combat feels good, and just about every element of the games screams "early '90s" in a great, nostalgic way. (Though the sound effect for Haggar's "thwump" punch is almost unbeatable for visceral impact.)

They're both a lot of fun. I miss the days of 2.5-D beat 'em ups. But for my money, Streets Of Rage is the more satisfying series when you compare the SNES and Genesis titles.

I'd argue the opposite of your comment. SOR I can't get into as much, and while the SNES FF title isn't as complete as the arcade one it feels the same as it did back then so it's not worse for wear, and the sequels, especially 3 almost feels modern with the combos and sf2'lite' type moves it has keeps it fresh. SOR just felt like a rerun 3x over with little advancement between them other than working the kinks out from the first. Solid series no doubt, but less amusing to me. Then again it's usually a Nintendo Sega pushing match over those despite Capcom made the franchise.

• Like 1

Nice vid!

Unless my brother had it BITD, don't think I ever played Sega CD Final Fight but I had the SNES version back then. I think Final Fight on either system has aged just fine and still think of the game as being among the very best of the genre.

Streets of Rage, as iconic and fun to play as it is... thought the smaller characters were a bit of a letdown comparatively. Felt that way BITD anyway. Today, I think the Streets of Rage games stand perfectly well on their own. Franchise as a whole is great, great beat 'em up stuff to be sure. Again, among the best of the best. Hell, I even like and still play Riot Zone for the TG-16!

A beat 'em up or "fighting" game that hasn't aged well at all (right out the gate even) is Vigilante. 1st offense on the Master System, then even the TG-16 got a port... always thought that game sucked. :lol:

A beat 'em up or "fighting" game that hasn't aged well at all (right out the gate even) is Vigilante. 1st offense on the Master System, then even the TG-16 got a port... always thought that game sucked. :lol:

I happen to love Vigilante on the TG16. It's a go-to "pick up and play for 15 minutes" game for me. But I can't deny most of the criticisms I read lobbed at it. However, taken as an entry in a very specific, early-style sub-strain of beat 'em ups, it's got some fun inside to wring out of it.

Maybe I played too much Kung Fu (Master) when I was a kid.

But that Master System port is still pretty iffy.

If I had to choose one all-time best classic brawler, I would pick Streets of Rage 2. I own Final Fight CD (for sega cd), and although it's a great game, the sprites are maybe a bit too large, and controls feel don't feel as quick and responsive as SOR2.

Another couple of favorites are the Golden Axe series, which has held up well, especially for an early 16 bit brawler. Captain America and the Avengers for genesis was a great when I was a kid in the 90's, but more recent playthoughs show not as good on a technical level. The bad English translations are enough to warrant a play through, and the difficulty level is good.

In the arcades, it was always Final Fight. It played better than those the ones that came before it, and everything afterwards imitated it. There were some other later games that I like (like Metamorphic Force and Violent Storm, which I didn't discover until MAME), but Final Fight was a special game that's hard to top. That game was a big deal back then, and for good reason.

On consoles, it's all Streets of Rage for me, especially Streets of Rage 2. I remember being completely blown away when I bought that game back in the day. I had the SNES port of Final Fight, and while I liked it, SOR2 blew it away. The music was better, the graphics were better, and the gameplay was better. SOR1 was decent as well, but I didn't really like SOR3. I do need to play Bare Knuckle 3 though; I hear it's A LOT better.

That said, the Sega CD Final Fight was a really good port. I missed out on it back when it came out, but it's right up there with the SOR games. Final Fight 2 and 3 didn't do it for me like the SOR games did. Maybe I should revisit them as well.

And dare I say... the original Double Dragon arcade game has not stood the test of time at all. The collision detection sucks and it screws the fun right out of the game. I do enjoy the NES and SMS ports though, and Double Dragon II on the NES is fantastic.

I have played through both series recently with a friend, as well as the turtles and double dragon games.

The streets of rage trilogy, for so many reasons, is the king of the beat em' ups, and the pinnacle of the genre IMO.

That being said I do like the large sprites and huge characters in the Final Fight series. It just never got faster and wilder like the SOR series did...

The Turtles series has aged well, but Double Dragon not as much. Played through IV on the SNES recently, which was considered "cutting edge" at the time. I found it to be real boring upon a re-visit.

Final Fight CD for the Sega CD is the pinnacle of that series for me, the CD quality music makes it.

The "super hero" beat-em-ups and the Golden Axe games are also awesome, but I categorize them differently in my head for some reason. :P But yeah, TMNT, X-Men (arcade game) and Captain America and The Avengers were all tons of fun, as was the arcade version of The Punisher. The Genesis version wasn't bad, either!

The Golden Axe games, the Capcom ones like Knights of the Round and the Dungeons and Dragons games, and other weapons-based beat-em-ups were usually a good time. The Golden Axe ones were favorites on the Genesis, and the Revenge of Death Adder RULED in the arcades!

• Like 1

You guys brought up some good points and overall the best statement I can come up with is that the Final Fight series is the best arcade beatemup that set the standard and the Streets of Rage series is the best console exclusive beatemup that built upon what we loved about Final Fight while adding some great new features and refinement. I love TMNT and all have aged well but for some reason I just didn't think of those like was said that superhero beatemups are in their own league and street brawlers I thought of separately also. As for Goldenaxe I love the series but I will admit the action feels slow at times but overall is still solid to this day.

I think the best beatemup game I ever played of all-time is Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon arcade. Good anime styled beatemup game. Streets of Rage 2 the Mega Drive coin-op version kicks ass too.

Final Fight 2 for Super NES

The Simpsons arcade game

TMNT 1 & 2 arcade games

Dungeons & Dragons:Tower of Doom arcade

yea those are some of my fave beatemups lol. Love the Double Dragon series mostly for the music too.

Notes on watching the video...

1. The "turkey" was actually "chicken".

2. Was that Chuck Norris in the bar?

3. Haggar's pants are held up by one suspender. That is odd, but stranger is that it instantly switches what shoulder it's on when he turns from left to right or vice versa.