IGNORED

Bomberman R

Rick Dangerous

So what do people think of this game so far?

Generally I am enjoying playing it online and with friends. I have it for Genesis, SNES, Saturn, N64, etc. How do you guys feel that this game stacks up against some of those versions.

Things I like about it:

-Its Bomberman, which is always a good thing

-Nice crisp attractive graphics

-Good soundtrack

-Good gameplay options for the most part so far

-Online play and ranking system seems good

A few minor annoyances:

-You can't play in league mode online with a friend, just as a single player.

-No local multiplayer two player mode. You have to play VS two Computer opponents with really good (ie cheap) AI. No place in options to change their difficulty level. Yes the idea of playing with eight people and four switches sounds fun, but it's more realistic that you will be playing with a friend. Why no good two player only option? And three player while they are at it would be nice :)

-Control seems a little sluggish, which makes a game like this tough. Sometimes my Bomberman takes an extra second or two to react when I am frantically moving the analog stick. Also the punch bomb and kick bomb buttons don't react well for me, only working some of the time. Pretty annoying.

-The "online manual" doesn't have a section which explains the power ups and what they do.

Enjoying this one so far but it doesn't feel quite "done." Hoping a small update or two might rectify some of these issue.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and reading a review or two as they come in.

Am i missing something, or is there a way to play this head to head with no CPU players?

Also: Anyone know where to find explanations of their power ups and functions?

I have yet to be able to use B for my "special move" anyone know what thats about? Is it unique to each bomberman and you have to collect it in each stage?

Frankly I'm not overly impressed with this game so far.

Punch and kick aren't working in story mode and these are half the moves. Are you supposed to "learn" these in later levels?

Obvious gameplay modes missing

Game begs for a dpad which the normal controller doesn't have really.

No explanation of power ups or special moves

Nothing a small update or two can't fix plus a pro controller but still frustrating.

I have contempt for it having tried it for an hour mid-day, made up an excuse about it being defective not taking a required update and got amazon to give me a return label and I got rid of it hours later.

The controls suck, they're lagged at best I guess would be a way to put it. You see one thing, it drops a second later. It does not on either option corner well around blocks too. I've played most 2D bomberman or early 3D (n64 era) as well and none had these problems and those old systems aren't even made for a LCD TV. The bomber boss on stage 1 I lost like 30 lives to because of those problems it was impossible to take down. It's fast, precise, everything the shitty controls aren't so it's outta here. I'm just stuck with Zelda for now until Blaster Master 0 pops out and Isaac comes in the mail and I'm fine with that.

Punch and kick you get within the first few stages of Area 1, they don't work as well as you have obviously figured out, well at least the punch and kick don't, toss works fine, it would throw it if I asked. A real d-pad wouldn't save it, wish people would get off the complaint. The problem is the game doesn't do what you tell it to the instant you hit the button, it's like a momentary pause then goes like it stumbles over its own 3D animation. I've had to account when I had it for about a 1/2 second to a second do push a bomb button or corner a block in anticipation or I miss. As I said, got fed up, then furious, then made up a story and returned it.

• Like 1

Played the one player a bunch tonight. Pretty fun :)

Despite some frustrations on this one going to hold onto it and make the best of it. Hopefully they do a patch or two and if not by the time I get fed up some other games will likely be out to pick up. Passable...but we all obviously paid the Nintendo premium for this one lol

Played the one player a bunch tonight. Pretty fun :)

Despite some frustrations on this one going to hold onto it and make the best of it. Hopefully they do a patch or two and if not by the time I get fed up some other games will likely be out to pick up. Passable...but we all obviously paid the Nintendo premium for this one lol

Same here. We had some fun with it. More fun with snipperclips so far though.

Bummer when you get a new version of a great franchise on a new system and it doesn't stack up well against 20 year old versions.

My question: do you think a patch can fix the problems with this game, or is it too broken?

They already had a bug patch to install before you played the game, it's just a flaming turd with lag problems for dropping bombs and cornering. Konami being Konami, shoveled out some shovelware garbage for a nearly premium price. Bomberman would have been better off left for dead. Good luck taking down the magnet bomber boss on stage 1 with the problems the game has you can't directly attack the guy and win, you need to basically get him to almost blow himself up between his placement and yours which is a sheer luck matter as it tends to stop on a dime anywhere it is safe.

They already had a bug patch to install before you played the game, it's just a flaming turd with lag problems for dropping bombs and cornering. Konami being Konami, shoveled out some shovelware garbage for a nearly premium price. Bomberman would have been better off left for dead. Good luck taking down the magnet bomber boss on stage 1 with the problems the game has you can't directly attack the guy and win, you need to basically get him to almost blow himself up between his placement and yours which is a sheer luck matter as it tends to stop on a dime anywhere it is safe.

Just beat him tonight, so it is doable!

Supposedly there are only 50 levels so trying to beat this one fully, and then again with a friend in co-op mode.

Anyone found explanation for the power-ups spread throughout the levels as well as special moves? Still haven't pulled of a special move yet despite hitting A on the regular

The game is cocaine crack. Can't believe this game is so good. Not experiencing any of the problems you guys are experiencing.

Believe me, i love the bomberman franchise and own it on many many platforms. Help us out then:

-Why don't kick/punch/throw buttons work except randomly and late if at all?

-How do you use the special move?

-What are all the various power up tokens you pick up and how do you use them?

Thanks!

If people aren't experiencing the issue good, but enough are and it's abysmal due to it. I know it's not the Switch or myself as running Zelda it's spot on the nose so it's not some touchy input lag issue or anything else someone might toss out there. I guess it's a your mileage will vary game. It's not the only title out there, and there are options and far more rolling out just this month alone digital or physical so it's not a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

The game has been patched now. Includung fixing the input lag.

I don't have the game yet so I don't know if it is a big improvement.

I wonder if future physical copies manufactured will have the patch on the disc?

Say in 10 years after all the switch servers are dead, and you pick up a cart, you may have a fixed version or not.

If they continue to press copies of the game probably. They'll just FTP a new copy of the data to Nintendo to press the cards if they don't do it themselves. I don't know what current procedure is but back on the Gamecube you had those large memory blocks with the handle at first to submit online, then it went to burning masters of which my company would make a few betas or submission gold discs and then FTP the data, then Nintendo would make the ordered run of the games. If it's that way still, then if Konami wanted to send a new copy in so they or Nintendo didn't have some back end charge to hosting and sending free patches to all the games out there, it would be a motivator to make 1.1 on cards vs everyone playing the patch game.

I'll wait on this as I said. I want to see far more comments or evidence in general that says this crap was fixed as the game would have been awesome for me if it worked right.

I do not have a switch.. just trawling the posts to see about the games.. always been a fan of this game since it came out in the west on the sinclair spectrum 1982;83? Timex spectrum for the Yanks.

I think it's pinnacle was on the Saturn. Will watch to see other posts before I put down any cash for a switch... though it does look great.

• 2 weeks later...

I think given it will download and patch the game breaking lag problem out you should really enjoy it alone or among others. It's a very solid old franchise that just gets things right, and this one is a throwback to the 3 on the SNES as they considered it like a 4th entry when making it I read somewhere translated from the Japanese maker. I guess it's just spite, but I've avoided the $10 off sale on it so far since I ended up only owning it pre-patch.

I wonder if there's a way to find out if newer copies will be fixed.