IGNORED

Nes screen glitches?

icemanxp300

Anybody have any idea as to why this is doing this? I figured it might be the pin so I swapped it with a new one even though the pin in it seemed fairly new. Same thing. I swapped from RF to AV and same thing. I use a CRT tv that works fine on my other nes systems. So it is not the tv, not the cables, and not the pin connector.

You can see when Mario stands still there is a horizontal bar that rolls down the screen and shows through Mario. You can also see the bottom screen jumps. Please ignore the at dark horizontal lines as those are recorded via my camera and don't show up on the TV.

You can also see the Piranha plant glitches as does the other enemies.

It seems like the more enemies around Mario the more the screen jumps and glitches as well.

https://youtu.be/tZw5A2zbzuQ

Those kinds of static glitches still usually relate to the 72pin connector. If you have changed that and it still does it in the exact same manner, then the other other two options I would think is the cartridge itself (Especially if other games don't do this...), or the PPU chip itself, though they usually fail in a much more obvious way than just what you have shown.

I've seen glitches like that on other machines and usually ends up being bad RAM or video chip.

This is what I was thinking. It's not the game as that works fine on other systems. It's not the pin as I took it out (the brand new one) tossed it into a another system and it works fine. It's def. system related.

I do have a parts system which maybe I will swap a few chips and see what happens. I was thinking the main video processor is likely bad.

• 3 weeks later...

It may just NOT be the NES... The NES can handle an X amount of sprites at one time, if it goes over that number then you have flickering. the 2600 does this and I have heard that the Famicom does this a lot with Gimmick!.

Edited by AL01

It may just NOT be the Nes... The Nes can handle an X amount of sprites at one time, if it goes over that number then you have flicker. the 2600 does this and I have heard that the Famicom does this a lot with Gimmick!.

Anybody have any idea as to why this is doing this? I figured it might be the pin so I swapped it with a new one even though the pin in it seemed fairly new. Same thing. I swapped from RF to AV and same thing. I use a CRT tv that works fine on my other nes systems. So it is not the tv, not the cables, and not the pin connector.

You can see when Mario stands still there is a horizontal bar that rolls down the screen and shows through Mario. You can also see the bottom screen jumps. Please ignore the at dark horizontal lines as those are recorded via my camera and don't show up on the TV.

You can also see the Piranha plant glitches as does the other enemies.

It seems like the more enemies around Mario the more the screen jumps and glitches as well.

https://youtu.be/tZw5A2zbzuQ

Does it do this with less graphically intense games?

How can it not be the nes? I have multiple nes systems connected all the time testing games and systems every day. If My TV, chords, and game works fine w/all the other systems and only has problems on this one system that is a problem with this system.

This is bad graphics and I have NEVER seen this ever on any nes system in my life and I have had hundreds go through my hands. This is not a common issue you see on a daily basis. Mario 3 does not glitch like this normally.

When I get around to fixing it I will update the thread on what chip(s) is bad if that is the problem, but there is a problem.

• 8 months later...

Ok lol I am definitely not fast on repairs haha. At any rate I pulled out about 5 nes systems I had packed away I forgot about. I found one I had w/ a bad board, if I remember correctly it worked but traces were shot and I said to hell with it awhile ago. I decided to swap the PPU and it fixed my glitched system.

So one down.... I was working earlier on a system that had a bad power port before but worked. I swapped that w/the bad board unit earlier and it worked initially but now has no video. It was intermittent at first like a loose wire, but now nothing. Who knows. I'll prolly let that sit for another 9 months LOL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well in case anyone is curious I went back to that other nes I said worked fine and then didn't. I was 90% sure it was the main blue connector that goes over to the power button. So I swapped the entire assembly from my parts unit and boom it worked..... although no sound lol. I'm really not interested in desoldering that entire power supply again to change whatever caps or diodes or whatever may be the problem.

So I watched a quick fix and ran an audio line from Resistor 4 to the audio of the composite and grounded it like he did. I however do not comprehend what grounding a wire that goes to nothing does but hey it's his fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU7y4Lqp71M

The sound is slightly lower than it should but not horrible and just increasing the volume a little makes up for it.

• 4 months later...

Instead of starting a new topic, I have an nes that works perfectly except it doesn't turn on LOL. Well until you hit reset anyhow.

So this nes works great but when you plug it in the power will not power on unless it is pushed in and you hit the resest button, then it gets power. If you push the power it will turn off and will not turn on again until you have it pushed in again and hit reset, regardless if you did not unplug the unit.