IGNORED

What do you like about the Atari Jaguar?

Skippy B. Coyote

If the status of the 7800 you wanted is any indication it seems like you want "pristine" conditions almost everything, and that costs a pretty penny for not much in return imho .... I don't say go for the dirty, destroyed, dog chewed option, just noticing that you aim for mint conditions and that plus vintage items plus tight budget do not add up very well.

Once more best of luck and I hope you enjoy your purchase, on one hand the truly good games are a handful so there's that (but some do sting if you want no-repro, manual, overlay etc..), on the other end if you want to "experience" more of it there's a long list of underwhelming "junk" that still costs a pretty penny.

Yeah, I do have a thing for only buying new or like-new condition systems and you are absolutely right about them being difficult to budget for; and not offering very good returns either if I ever sell them. Fortunately I do keep and enjoy the majority of systems I buy, so it is worth it to me to get them pristine and pretty, but you do make a good case going for a used Jaguar rather than a new one since I'm not sure whether or not it'll be a system that I'll keep over the long haul. At this point I'm waiting to hear back from Lance at Video61 on what the price for the Jaguar is going to be (he's told me that they still have some in stock but hasn't given me a price quote yet) and I think that'll be a good determiner of whether I buy one from him or hunt around for a used one in decent shape.

Thank you as well for your best wishes and don't worry, no offense was taken. I know that I am probably one of the most mercurial collectors around sometimes and have a way of quickly losing interest in things that I thought must have been made by the gods only a week or two prior, but I too hope that I find the Jaguar fun to play and will keep it for many years to come when I do eventually get one. I do tend to like every other system made by Atari that I've tried though, so I think there's a good chance that I'll have fun with the Jaguar too. :)

The Jaguar is certainly a unique system. I'm an Atari fanatic so I had to get one for my collection. Some things to note are that some games on the system are available on other systems. The Jaguar has a limited library and a lot of those games are, unfortunately, not very good. I really like Doom, Wolfenstein, Cannon Fodder and Brutal Sports Football (although the computer completely annihilates you not too far into the game). Some games are hard to find and fairly expensive too (ala Karts and Towers II). It sounds like you have done your research but I'd recommend firing up an emulator and actually playing some of the Jag games before deciding. I love Atari but this system DID fail for a reason....It's a system you really have to appreciate for what it is as it's not like say, SNES which has loads of great games. It will probably end up being the system with the least amount of games that you want to play overall...

However, if you like having those original consoles and can appreciate a limited library of games, its not a bad system at all. Just food for thought. ;)

• Like 2

I bought the Jaguar on launch day and was in awe when the system 'growled' at me when I first powered it up. I've always had it since then, and at the time, I even thought Cybermorph was amazing, but I don't play that anymore. What I still like about it, is something that I can apply to all my systems, is that it has games that I enjoy, and versions of multi-platform games that I prefer on the Jaguar (Rayman, DOOM, Raiden, Tempest 2000). I also really find the controller comfortable to hold, but also HATE using the keypad for anything.

Of all the games and systems I own, the Jaguar is unique in that it has 2 games that are in my Top 5 games of all time, T2k and D2k. I'll never get rid of the Jag if only to have those 2 games for it.

• Like 3

I've been on the fence about buying a Jaguar for the last year or so, and after countless back and forths of "Should I or shouldn't I?" I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase a Jag next week. Even after pondering the matter for a year though I'm still pretty uncertain about whether or not this system will be a worthwhile investment that I'll enjoy playing (and "investment" is definitely the right term, given the price tag on these things) or if I'll find myself frustrated by the small game library and high costs of said games.

With those latter points in mind I think I'm actually feeling more apprehensive than I am excited about the purchase, so I'm hoping that I might be able to get some feedback from other Jaguar owners regarding what they enjoy about the system and what makes it worth owning and playing. With any luck it'll reduce my apprehension and raise my excitement for getting a Jag to read what other people find compelling about the system, so I'd love to hear you guys and gals' thoughts on it. :)

At this point, there are a LOT of games for the Jaguar. Certainly not as much as some of the larger systems, but for the orphaned systems, it's not a slouch. With homebrews, there's got to be close to, if not already, ~100 games. I have all of them except for Battlesphere, Gorf, and Blacklight or whatever it's called... I don't feel like counting them up, but there's probably close to 100 here. Not a bad library.

In my opinion, some of the games that don't get talked about a lot on here are some of my favorite..

I-War, Power Drive Rally, Hoverstrike... these are some really awesome games. I also really like Defender 2k and Missile Command 3D. The homebrews are awesome too... so many out there.

I like Hoverstrike cart edition as well. I completed the 26 levels on easy to not get stuck, and it took me like 6 levels to get the hang of it. The trick is to raid fast, fast, fast, and skip lots of enemies by doing it.

If you follow the instructoins to move carefuly, trying to be tactic it's impossible. Fast raids all the time and pass lots of the slow enemies is the trick here.

I look forward to playing the cd media 2nd strike and will test it on normal this time.

It's also a bonus that you can coop on it, one being the hover and the other one being the cannon. Nice to let your 4 year old son blast som "oranges" on the metal crap that stalk you.

• Like 3

"What do you like about the Atari Jaguar?"

1 - It's weird and misunderstood.

2 - It has a cool active community around it today.

3 - It was never given a proper chance - the likes of Skyhammer show what it can really do.

4 - It's not a better console than those that came out at the time, but it is more interesting.

• Like 1

Hoverstrike... really? No, seriously… let's here all about this one. :lol:

I REALLY like Hoverstrike. I definitely prefer it on the CD... I don't remember what the differences are, but I seem to recall the sound effects and graphics are a little bit better, but yes... I like Hoverstrike. Hahah.

I mean, there's no accounting for taste, right? Eye of the Beholder... (which is a great game too, by the way, and not just a phrase).

Hoverstrike is challenging because the controls aren't simply like driving a tank or some other game with polygon graphics. The missions aren't overly complicated, and a lot of them are fairly similar, but the scenery does change a bit.

Best way I can describe it is like the three Clint Eastwood movies... "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly," "A Fist Full of Cash," and "A Fist Full More." ...kids today, pretty much anyone older than Generation X (I'm at the tail end of Generation X)... they would tell you those movies suck, they're too slow, and the plot is horrible. They might be right... but those are the kinds of movies you watch when you're relaxed... maybe drinking a Gin & Tonic, and the long pauses... the lack of emotion... and the seemingly lack of plot, is what makes up the greatness of the movie.

Likewise, a slightly more modern movie like Deep Impact... sure, it's got all kinds of stuff, plot, whatever... but I fast forward until the part that the asteroid piece hits so I can see the apocolypse becasue, in my mind... that's the only value of that movie.

Am I making any sense at all? Hahah...

• Like 3

Was thinking Hoverstrike on cart - such a choppy mess. The CD version is slightly better in all regards, but still couldn't get into it. Not even so much about the controls for me as it is a hovercraft after all, but more the style of gameplay as Atlantis described. Game like this, rather take my time as you can in I-War, but you're constantly being bombarded with cheap shots a plenty. Gotta keep on the move, which makes me sea sick after a while. :lol:

Was thinking Hoverstrike on cart - such a choppy mess. The CD version is slightly better in all regards, but still couldn't get into it. Not even so much about the controls for me as it is a hovercraft after all, but more the style of gameplay as Atlantis described. Game like this, rather take my time as you can in I-War, but you're constantly being bombarded with cheap shots a plenty. Gotta keep on the move, which makes me sea sick after a while. :lol:

Hah... got to admit, I can't remember the last time I actually played it on cart. Whenever I have played it, it's on CD. But I'm not a fan of using my CD since I don't want it to break, and since my entire retirement hinges on my Jaguar collection, I have to take care of it (that's a joke by the way).

Hah... got to admit, I can't remember the last time I actually played it on cart. Whenever I have played it, it's on CD. But I'm not a fan of using my CD since I don't want it to break, and since my entire retirement hinges on my Jaguar collection, I have to take care of it (that's a joke by the way).

Lol Can always just buy yourself a spare laser assembly as they're super cheap. :)

From the beginning I thought the CD version was part 2, not only a revamp of the same game.

Since I got both I thought I would check both out, and when I got a bit into the cart version I thought why not beat it. There is more levels on the CD version so in a way a new game when playing the new levels at least.

Edited by Atlantis

So have you had a chance to play both and make your comparisons?

I just moved to Texas and brought my Jaguar and cartridge games with me. I did not bring the CD games, and the rest of my furniture doesn't arrive until June. All I have here are some tools to renovate my house before the family comes, a small TV, an air mattress, and my Jaguar.

BUT... I do remember having played both, and the CD version of Hoverstrike is definitely better in a lot of different ways. I remember it actually even playing better (better control). The game itself had more levels on the CD, the graphics were more or less the same but the rendered 3d modeled graphics (or whatever you call them) were more detailed. The Music seemed better as well.

If you don't mind using your CD... then definitely get Hoverstrike CD... it's a good game IMHO.

• Like 1

I haven't tried Hover CD yet, but I have it and will sooner or later. My JagCD is resting for the moment.

Once the jaguar SD cart is out all of these games will be far easier to play. This will allow you to play JagCD games via the SD. Super excited about the home brew options once this hits

• Like 1

I never owned a Jag back in the 90's but had always wanted one. I'll never forget when I saw this massive Jag display at circuit city boy was I amazed... My friends all thought that I was crazy (and maybe I am).

The years piled up and I finally caved (late in the game I might add) and purchased a Jag. Now, my experience may not be typical but I feel that in the interest of full disclosure it may be helpful for some.

The first Jag i received from an eBay seller had an issue where the color was off. Everything was displayed in a blue hue. I returned it - the seller was extremely nice. I located one at a local game store that was in excellent condition... but after playing any "3D" game for an extended period it would display black lines in a pattern such as: | | | | | across the entire screen, like a rake. So... I returned that one but kept my games. Eventually after watching a video by Austin of Gameplay and Talk fame I picked up the phone and called Best Electronics and ordered a NIB Jag. With the going rate for many games (I prefer those that are boxed w/ manual / overlay) being rather expensive... my total investment, with AV cables, extra controllers, etc is probably just shy of 1,000 bucks (Rayman alone was 100 and change). I am an adult collector and you can undoubtedly find things for much cheaper but I like the idea of something looking as if it was brought through a time machine from 1993 directly to me.

Have you bought this thing yet?

If you have, that's great. I liked Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 best. Vintage Llamasoft doing cool things in a noisy, psychedelic way, not available anywhere else quite like this. There seems to be an active home-brew scene. The library is relatively small, so it's feasible to collect everything.

If you haven't, think about why. The thing is over twenty years old, and despite its interesting quirks, was never all that to begin with. Many big name games are Amiga and DOS ports, many of the small name games just aren't that well executed, and time hasn't been kind. The controller is goofy, the cartridges even goofier, and eBay prices are just ridiculous. Good luck finding Battlesphere or Air Cars. I released my Jaguar into the wild many years ago and haven't missed it at all.

Have you bought this thing yet?

If you have, that's great. I liked Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 best. Vintage Llamasoft doing cool things in a noisy, psychedelic way, not available anywhere else quite like this. There seems to be an active home-brew scene. The library is relatively small, so it's feasible to collect everything.

If you haven't, think about why. The thing is over twenty years old, and despite its interesting quirks, was never all that to begin with. Many big name games are Amiga and DOS ports, many of the small name games just aren't that well executed, and time hasn't been kind. The controller is goofy, the cartridges even goofier, and eBay prices are just ridiculous. Good luck finding Battlesphere or Air Cars. I released my Jaguar into the wild many years ago and haven't missed it at all.

It is a neat system for sure, but I haven't bought one yet and most likely never will. The more I considered the matter the more I realized just how expensive a Jaguar would be (especially since my spouse is disabled and can't hold traditional game controllers, so we would have to get her a custom made arcade stick for it), and since I am someone of fairly limited financial means I know it would be for the best if I stuck to playing and collecting for more inexpensive systems.

I still think the Jaguar is really cool and there's quite a few exclusive games on the system that I'm sure I would enjoy playing, but at the end of the day I do have to be a responsible adult every now and then and keep my hobbies within my means.

Edited by Jin