IGNORED

Project Prometheus (a new ColecoVision compatible console)

opcode

As we recently announced, the SGM Pro was placed on hold so we can concentrate on our new and major project, code-name Project Prometheus. Prometheus is a cartridge based super 8-bit system that is also backward compatible with the ColecoVision and Super Game Module. After many false starts since 2010, it is now in full production. However such a complex project takes time, so the ETA is late 2018. First complete prototype should be here soon. Games also under development.

Please check our facebook page for videos. More info to follow...

• Like 13

Any chance for a high level language to create Prometheus enhanced games? Something like your BASIC project?

That is something we are really considering. At least C with libraries. And of course we want 3rd party support. Prometheus is a beast graphic and sound wise.

BTW, what kind of games or specific titles would you guys like to see? We want 3 or 4 games available day 1.

• Like 3

Eduardo: For the launch games, I would like to see Super Zoo Keeper, Super Phoenix and the Super Donkey Kong Collection (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 3 and that Donkey Kong variation with different levels - I think it was called Donkey Kong II). I would also like to see a 1-player baseball game (as everybody knows, Super Action Baseball is 2-player only :mad: ).

As far as the Prometheus goes, HDMI out of the console (without any special adapters/cables needed) is an absolute must for me to even think about buying.Right now, I have a CV that outputs VGA, which I then have to connect a converter box and then connect a HDMI cable to that. It works o.k. most of the time, but is also glitchy if I don't position the cables just right. Also, I would love for it to have your latest version of the SGM and the f18a already installed in the console. And a generic, readily available power supply that could easily be changed out if there is a problem (no more specialty power bricks!) Also, compatibility with legacy CV controllers and the normal CV cartridge slot.

• Like 1

Can the beast handle:

- Sarge

- Cyberball 2072

- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Off Road/Super Off Road

- Punch-Out!!/Super Punch-Out!!/Arm Wrestling

- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

- Cybersled (polygons, anyone) --the 2600 pulled off Battlezone with "fake" polygons--

Well, a man can dream, can't he?

• Like 1

- Sarge

- Cyberball 2072

- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Off Road/Super Off Road

- Punch-Out!!/Super Punch-Out!!/Arm Wrestling

- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

- Cybersled (polygons, anyone) --the 2600 pulled off Battlezone with "fake" polygons--

Well, a man can dream, can't he?

Cybersled is a little too much, but the others look feasible. Punch Out and Indiana being the most probable ones.

• Like 2

Eduardo: For the launch games, I would like to see Super Zoo Keeper, Super Phoenix and the Super Donkey Kong Collection (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 3 and that Donkey Kong variation with different levels - I think it was called Donkey Kong II). I would also like to see a 1-player baseball game (as everybody knows, Super Action Baseball is 2-player only :mad: ).

As far as the Prometheus goes, HDMI out of the console (without any special adapters/cables needed) is an absolute must for me to even think about buying.Right now, I have a CV that outputs VGA, which I then have to connect a converter box and then connect a HDMI cable to that. It works o.k. most of the time, but is also glitchy if I don't position the cables just right. Also, I would love for it to have your latest version of the SGM and the f18a already installed in the console. And a generic, readily available power supply that could easily be changed out if there is a problem (no more specialty power bricks!) Also, compatibility with legacy CV controllers and the normal CV cartridge slot.

What I can say is that we aren't using F18A. Our solution still provides backward compatibility but go well beyond what is possible with the F18A. Assuming the 5 years console cycle, ColecoVision was supposed to get an update around 87/88. Prometheus offers what is available around that timeframe. F18A was too little.

• Like 1

If it's going to have HDMI output then I would like to have wireless controllers so I can sit on my butt in my recliner 15 feet away from the TV

We want to stay as true as possible of something available during the late 80s. While we understand HDMI is a practical must, other technologies may be too much and cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

I've got a blessing to make Indenture. It's one of the first PC based Adventure clones.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/Indenture.html

Would be fun to have another Adventure type game on the Coleco :)

That would be awesome to have a 16bit like Adveture on Prometheus. In fact we are planning how to handle 3rd party support in terms of selling dev kits (including prototypes) and such.

• Like 2

That is something we are really considering. At least C with libraries. And of course we want 3rd party support. Prometheus is a beast graphic and sound wise.

BTW, what kind of games or specific titles would you guys like to see? We want 3 or 4 games available day 1.

Bearing in mind your 87/88 update timeframe and Coleco's specialty at bringing home Arcade classics, my wish list would be:

Commando (1985)

Rolling Thunder (1986)

Double Dragon (1987)

Pac-Mania (1987)

1943 Battle of Midway (1987)

• Like 1

So does this mean Opcode wont be making games for the Colecovision anymore???

Absolutely not! We envision different games for each platform.

The above mentioned Commando or Gauntlet are good examples of the type of game we plan for Prometheus. And we still have the option of hybrid games, that run on regular cokecovision but are Prometheus enhanced

• Like 4

Oy, a wish list..

I have to say big time agree with

Cyberball 2072... (Is there a way to support 4 controllers, a hack or cable or even that Codemasters Genesis cart thingy? Two is fine however)

Sarge (2 players but 4 would be grand)

Ivan Stewart Off Road ( again 4 players?)

Demolition Derby (what is it with these 4 player games that is so great?)

Zoo Keeper

Donkey Kong

Elevator Action Arcade

Rolling Thunder

Archon 1 and especially Archon 2

The BASIC idea or IDE Dev tools to make games would make this console a must buy... a community of people learning and developing in a friendly language would make this a very very unique console.

That is my dream list...

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 4

Oy, a wish list..

I have to say big time agree with

Cyberball 2072... (Is there a way to support 4 controllers, a hack or cable or even that Codemasters Genesis cart thingy? Two is fine however)

Sarge (2 players but 4 would be grand)

Ivan Stewart Off Road ( again 4 players?)

Demolition Derby (what is it with these 4 player games that is so great?)

Zoo Keeper

Donkey Kong

Elevator Action Arcade

Rolling Thunder

Archon 1 and especially Archon 2

The BASIC idea or IDE Dev tools to make games would make this console a must buy... a community of people learning and developing in a friendly language would make this a very very unique console.

That is my dream list...

Some of those could be done in a really short time, like a couple of months. DK could be done in just a couple of weeks actually.

• Like 3

I'd like to see DKA and anything advertised in the Gradius/Penguin Adventure catalogs as an SGM only release.

HDMI and D-Pads for Prometheus.

Rolling Thunder gets a third vote from me.

Double Dragon or Bad Dudes would be good options for a beat em up.

Get Nanochess on board. I would LOVE to see an upgraded version of Princess Quest or maybe Mecha-16?

Get Antoni Burguera on board. Caos Begins is an awesome game for the SGM.

Edited by sega_SHARK
  • Like 2

I'd like to see DKA and anything advertised in the Gradius/Penguin Adventure catalogs as an SGM only release.

HDMI and D-Pads for Prometheus.

Rolling Thunder gets a third vote from me.

Double Dragon or Bad Dudes would be good options for a beat em up.

Get Nanochess on board. I would LOVE to see an upgraded version of Princess Quest or maybe Mecha-16?

Get Antoni Burguera on board. Caos Begins is an awesome game for the SGM.

Actually I was comment on DK above and got distracted. Indeed, DK is a game better suited for the SGM.

Right now we have Moon Patrol, Zaxxon, Ninjakun and 1942 in different stages as experiments... But they all came together pretty quickly.

• Like 6