IGNORED

Project Prometheus (a new ColecoVision compatible console)

opcode

True, but wasn't it used only in 10-bit mode? The word length isn't all that makes a processor better. The Z80 was a much more mainstream processor than the GI PLC processor in the INTV. The clock speed on the CV was about 2X the INTV and it more closely resembled the systems in use in the arcades by Midway, etc, so games ported resembled their arcade counterparts more closely.

Perhaps Z800/Z280 compatibility would be a good choice here? It came out about the time the CV was discontinued. I would think that would be a natural progression even though that processor really never saw the success of the Z80...

There are a number of cool replacements for the Z80, Z800/Z280, Z380, eZ80 (which seems to use the R800 core), Problem is that they aren't execution time compatible with the Z80. If all CV software was well behaved, that wouldn't be an issue. So the only option is to offer a Z80@3.57MHz. Of course that is too little for Prometheus, On the other hand dual processor configurations would be expensive, so you get the picture. Without going into great technical detail, currently Prometheus is roughly the same speed as the Sega Genesis, but still 8 bit as far as main CPU goes.
  • Like 1

So a Z80 processor (likely supporting 20Mhz or higher fast clock mode? Like a Z84C0020 http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/450/ps0178-19386.pdf ) .... well given Moon Patrol ran on the Irem M52 that uses a Z80 seems a fitting teaser.

When would you be able to reveal a little more on the architecture? CPU? (you kind of already stated you would like to avoid more than one CPU), '80s NOS chipset? etc....

Controller ports on the front, bottom corners of the PCB chopped off, cartridge port way in the back... You just gave us a pretty big clue about where you're going with this, Eduardo. ;)

Did I? :)

I wouldn't assume anything this early. ;)

• Like 1

Controller ports on the front, bottom corners of the PCB chopped off, cartridge port way in the back... You just gave us a pretty big clue about where you're going with this, Eduardo. ;)

One way or another, that Atari Jaguar mold is going to be put to good use!
  • Like 1

One way or another, that Atari Jaguar mold is going to be put to good use!

It was put to good use at least once...

... for the dental camera. ;)

/joke; apologies to all Jaguar fans

• Like 5

WIP

Given the pic of the PCB/proto I had to do a post back from the CC thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?do=findComment&comment=3742068

I am surprised it looks like it would end up using "teh molds" but your console, your design, your choice, just please do not give us the line that it saves you 500K in tooling as we know how that one particular story ended.

• Like 2

Given the pic of the PCB/proto I had to do a post back from the CC thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?do=findComment&comment=3742068

I am surprised it looks like it would end up using "teh molds" but your console, your design, your choice, just please do not give us the line that it saves you 500K in tooling as we know how that one particular story ended.

I don't think I need to give you nothing pal. Go find someone else to drag into your crusade against the Chameleon, since that is only reason why you are here. Never saw you giving s shit about the ColecoVision