IGNORED

Project Prometheus (a new ColecoVision compatible console)

opcode

What kind of games would you like to see once we release Prometheus? Would you like me to keep focusing on regular SGM games, would you like me to focus on Prometheus' (and remember this isn't the final name) advanced features, would you like to see more original games, more arcade ports? If arcade ports, do you prefer golden age (80-83), later period, or 16-bit stuff. We can go all the way from simple 8-bit stuff to Genesis/SNES level of complexity. Please let me know. :)

Everything. Prometheus will likely be my first Coleco if it becomes a reality and is everything you say it is. A RVGS done right if it were. Screw Mike Kennedy; screw River West Brands and Coleco Holdings... :thumbsup:

What kind of games would you like to see once we release Prometheus? Would you like me to keep focusing on regular SGM games, would you like me to focus on Prometheus' (and remember this isn't the final name) advanced features, would you like to see more original games, more arcade ports? If arcade ports, do you prefer golden age (80-83), later period, or 16-bit stuff. We can go all the way from simple 8-bit stuff to Genesis/SNES level of complexity. Please let me know. icon_smile.gif

I prefer golden age arcade ports. There's a ton of good arcade games that were never released for the home. Some of the MSX and SG-1000 conversions for the ColecoVision were good, but I'd prefer that they get touched up if they get converted.

• Like 3

I'm most likely to buy ports of arcade games, specifically ones released up through about 1985. Arcade games from later years mostly hold no interest for me.

Original stuff is a harder sell, because I have no familiarity with it and have no need to take a chance on a game I may not like.

• Like 2

What kind of games would you like to see once we release Prometheus? Would you like me to keep focusing on regular SGM games, would you like me to focus on Prometheus' (and remember this isn't the final name) advanced features, would you like to see more original games, more arcade ports? If arcade ports, do you prefer golden age (80-83), later period, or 16-bit stuff. We can go all the way from simple 8-bit stuff to Genesis/SNES level of complexity. Please let me know. :)

My only contribution is a tall order.

A lot of my favorites are those with unique inputs and outputs -- not just the 4 or 8-way joysticks, two buttons, and not just output on the monitor and speaker(s).

Also the ColecoVision's modular expandability was genius.

Spy Hunter is a good example. Audio is stereophonic. The steering controller needs not revolve 360 degrees. There are two switches on each handlebar, plus the "horn" button in the middle to call the weapons van. Additionally, that button has a built-in lamp when the van is available.

Gorf has external lamps based on your rank.

Q-bert had that solenoid inside that clacked when Q-bert fell off the cubes and hit bottom.

Sub-roc had a spinning shutter

I wouldn't ask for such unique controllers, but the potential for expandability should definitely be considered.

Enabling custom I/O devices that we could build ourselves would be cool. Maybe just a card edge connector like the SGM (and Atari module, and the Adam expansion) uses.

Perhaps also support for other classic and contemporary controllers besides the Coleco versions.

I would love to see some Geek Developer ports that allow people to interface Arduino / Raspberry Pi or that type projects.

I would really love to see a suite of tools much like Gary Kitchen's Gamemaker for the C64 that allow people to develop games for the unit. Back in the day, BASIC carts were made for consoles, I would imagine some fun suite like that would be amazing, if you can interface the Dev port with all kinds of keyboards, mice, joysticks.

It would be really fun to program on a PC connected to the console in like Python or some high language like C and see changes on the console.

The C64 allowed high level languages but it even had C64 BASIC with commands for sprites, joysticks, SID chip, etc right when you boot it on. I would love to connect some keyboard and mouse and program in Prometheus BASIC and make some fun little games and programs.

I would love easy to interface game ports that allow us to create our own joysticks, arcade sticks, trackballs, etc by just following a pinout that is simple to interface to.

I think a console with this much flexibility would be a great platform for retro devs (like the ones on this board) as well as new and aspiring ones to have a common platform to develop on would be amazing!

I would think a great Dev port would be fun to interface, quiz buzzers for games, robot arms to move pieces in a game, or as Bloodnose suggested, lights that reflect what the actual arcade used. (I could only imagine a small arcade cab that had the Gorf lights that indicate rank sitting next to me as I play Gorf. When a new rank is achieved the game tells the cab via the port to move to the next light bulb.

Interfacing MIDI from the dev port would allow devs to allow people to hook up a simple MIDI keyboard and let the game music play on your MIDI keyboard while you play!!

I guess I am showing my age, as creating interfaces and devices back in the 80s from a Compute! or Ahoy! magazine were very common place and many people just needed the basics to start making all kinds of fun things.

Ok I guess that is enough daydreaming about Opcodes amazing little wonder.

I am just super glad he and his wife are going to make this console and are open enough to ask us all about what we would like.

Thank you again!

Edited by imstarryeyed

I'm honestly surprised they had the foresight to put knockers and LED lamps in old game carts. Stuff like that was usually reserved for arcade games. Anything more than a ROM and a PCB inside the cart and the corporate executives started demanding that stuff be cut out for cost. This was why so few 7800 games used the POKEY.

Thanks for all suggestions guys. From a quick reading I really like some of them, like the LEDs in cartridges, the BASIC dev system, the expansion port and controller port. Special controllers are cool to dream about but hard to implement due to high costs. Another interesting option would be to offer a dev expansion module that also includes an Ethernet port, so we can share our creations online.

Please keep the suggestion coming :)

• Like 1

I'm always asking for Duck Hunt, Buckmaster Huntin' (remember the plug and plays 1-3), Big Buck Hunter Arcade, Lethal Enforcers with an SMS to ColecoVision controller converter for SMS phaser, or an IR sensor for some gun that works with it. I mean, if they could include the IR sensor with all those one-off plug and play games in the early 2000's ... but I'm pretty sure I will end up needing to program it myself if I wish to see it.

Also, 3D versions of Penguin Land and Donkey Kong. You can move into and out of the screen as well as vertically and sideways.

• Like 1

Thanks for all suggestions guys. From a quick reading I really like some of them, like the LEDs in cartridges, the BASIC dev system, the expansion port and controller port. Special controllers are cool to dream about but hard to implement due to high costs. Another interesting option would be to offer a dev expansion module that also includes an Ethernet port, so we can share our creations online.

Please keep the suggestion coming :)

Basic Compiler, not interpreter, at least for developers, talk to that nanochess guy about what IntyBASIC has done for the Intellivision development community. The interpreter and Ethernet extras can come later.

At some point soon though, I wonder if both this project and Collectorvision's should go dark instead of talking about it. It would be easy to pick a decent number of trusted technical people and developers from here and keep the discussion private and get everyone's hands dirty, then come back with completed games rather than work-in-progress teases. The launch should have several games done before even announcing them. Everyone here now knows both options are coming and that you and CollectorVision are not adversarial. No point letting nemesis and naysayers have fodder to distract from the end goal...

Basic Compiler, not interpreter, at least for developers, talk to that nanochess guy about what IntyBASIC has done for the Intellivision development community. The interpreter and Ethernet extras can come later.

At some point soon though, I wonder if both this project and Collectorvision's should go dark instead of talking about it. It would be easy to pick a decent number of trusted technical people and developers from here and keep the discussion private and get everyone's hands dirty, then come back with completed games rather than work-in-progress teases. The launch should have several games done before even announcing them. Everyone here now knows both options are coming and that you and CollectorVision are not adversarial. No point letting nemesis and naysayers have fodder to distract from the end goal...

Totally that. You must have a crystal ball man! Lots of shit going on indeed. Glad today is Friday and me and Yourki can get drunk and forget about the shit.

• Like 1

Please use the jaguar molds. I personally think making it work when others failed would really be cool. I mean it's like trying to win the stanley cup in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform. But if you you make it successful... For that matter make in leafs blue clear. Have a canadian version. You might sell more just don't put maple leafs logo on there.

Of course using an atari shell might suggest 7800 compatibility... hmm.

Original games, Arcade ports that are proper and 100% accurate

no more MSX ports while I get its easy they look meh

Dunno if i'd use the Jaguar shell man...it has bad luck attached to it.