IGNORED

What Switch accessories are you getting?

Rick Dangerous

So what switch accessories are you snapping up?

So far I purchased:

-Insignia Carrying case-space for the Switch and 6 game cards, accessories

-Tempered glass screen protector-2 pack- The switch screen is plastic and scratches easily, this was a quick order

Tried to purchase

-Pro controller-still can't find one locally

Interested in Purchasing

-A second dock-for my upstairs TV, may just have to get off the Nintendo website soon

-Larger carrying case, with room for dock, cables, and a pro controller-for hooking up to friends and families TV and such

-Charging grip and second set of joycons-but finding it hard to justify the $110 pricetag of that combo (sort of ridiculous really)

-Some sort of stand for the switch, as it seems rather obvious at this point that the built in kick stand is flimsy and useless

-I heard rumors of arcade sticks being released...and with SSFII coming out this might be interesting

What accessories did you get or are you looking forward to?

A different screen protector. Having a pro do it this time...lol

Either another Pro controller or set of joycons

LOL I paid a pro at best buy to put mine on and he botched the hell out of it, it had to be taken off and returned...why can't they make those things installed right from the factory. Anyway, the glass ones are much easier to put on bubble free, i'm just going to clean and then scotch tape the hell out of my screen before placing it.

I'm really debating the pro controller/joycon question. If I got a pair of Joycons with a charging grip, it would be $30 more than a pro controller, but then I would technically have 4 controllers if I really needed them. It seems like many games will support in the 4-8 player range so i'm thinking 2 sets of joycons, two pro controllers would be a good start. After the included controller, thats $270 worth of controllers.....wild.

Haven't felt a Nintendo controller price pain like this since the N64/Rumble pak days...

I think finding someone who has the right tools/clean space to do it I'd get a glass protector for the screen.

Other than that I wouldn't mind that $15 stand Hori has if you want to take it off the rack and with that you'd need that ac adapter. Beyond that maybe in time the rack for the joycons that can charge them would be nice. For all I know I'll buy none of it other than the screen cover since supposedly the dock scratches the screen easily. I've only removed mine a couple times to look at stuff but not to play so I wouldn't know if it's just internet drama mixed with rough handed people at play.

I was thinking about this too. It would work great with the Hori stand.

Yep, go to a friends house, throw it on the stand, plug it in and pass out the joy cons. Someone will make this thing, i don't think there is much technology in the dock that couldn't be replicated in a cable.

Yep, go to a friends house, throw it on the stand, plug it in and pass out the joy cons. Someone will make this thing, i don't think there is much technology in the dock that couldn't be replicated in a cable.

Feeling adventurous?

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-USBC-HDMI-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B013LHN6XG

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-USB-C-Female-Adapter-112905/dp/B00VTZ7PKI

It would be nice if it had a break out cable for power too.

Normal USB 3.1 second gen into HDMI adapters don't work on the Switch, they're using some kind of proprietary signal/conversion. Multiple people have already tried this and reported it doesn't work. Either Nintendo releases this cable, or someone is going to have to reverse engineer whatever Nintendo is using.

I'd go for a USB C to HDMI adapter so I could just plug my console in on the go, no dock required...I bet that'll happen sooner or later.

Keep dreaming. Someone tried that day one out of the box and it failed from what I read. Nintendo blocked it, somehow, unless that story was bs.

So far I've bought 2 extra Joy-Cons and a Pro Controller (that damn I love). I'd like a screen protector. I don't see myself carting it around much so a case isn't on my radar anytime soon. I will probably get another one of those Joy-Con shell things but I honestly don't mind using the Joy-Cons themselves when supported so it's not something I'll get soon.

That funny business with the cable is of no surprise at all.

I'm having a hard time deciding what my day 1 setup will look like. I know I want a screen protector of course, and a memory card.

I can't decide if I want a pro controller, a charging grip, more joycons, or some combination of those. I really don't see my setup having more than 2 people using it at any one time- but I also want to be able to charge my controller independently of the console. So the pro controller makes the most sense (put the joycons in the grip for docked 2 player, use them separately for on the go 2 player)... but I'm afraid I'll find I want more players later on. Not to mention I mostly see myself doing docked gaming solo, so a charging grip would be cheaper? I don't fully know yet.

I like the Hori stand, and it would be a no-brainer save for one thing: I don't know if my portable battery would charge the switch. That would be 90% of my use for it- keep it running in lines at conventions. I'll probably just buy it anyway, unlike the other accessories it's cheap enough to have just in case.

Speaking of cases, THAT'S where I'm really stuck. I like my portable cases to carry everything I'm going to be using with the system. So for the switch, that means the unit+joycons, earbuds, possibly a portable battery & USB card to plug into it, the joycon straps... and the grip. NOTHING HOLDS THE GRIP! Almost everything is switch, joycons, and maybe just enough pocket space for earbuds. That's it- if there's room for the controller grip, it's some overly massive mega-case that takes the dock and the power cables and the kitchen sink too. I just need enough space for the damn controller grip! And why don't any of these cases have a shoulder strap? If I'm hauling the thing around, I want my hands free- and I definitely ain't using one of those laughable wristlet bags. At this rate, I might just end up emailing my aunt & working with her to get something custom made.

Now that IS a good question. Can I go to amazon or newegg (or even local) and buy a USB-C battery pack, say a 10K mAh cell, that the Switch will use for juice before its own battery? I wouldn't mind that + the Hori stand for at my desk or something of the sort. Be even nicer if said battery has 2 access points so it could charge and discharge at the same time like classic Nintendo Gameboy battery packs.

Here is where to get a dock:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod880075

They have been out of stock on these already and people are trying to scalp them on ebay so i'd get one when you can.

They are out of the power adapters in this store but I've found it's the one thing most places locally seem to have in stock still.

I can't decide if I want a pro controller, a charging grip, more joycons, or some combination of those. I really don't see my setup having more than 2 people using it at any one time- but I also want to be able to charge my controller independently of the console. So the pro controller makes the most sense (put the joycons in the grip for docked 2 player, use them separately for on the go 2 player)... but I'm afraid I'll find I want more players later on. Not to mention I mostly see myself doing docked gaming solo, so a charging grip would be cheaper? I don't fully know yet.

A charging grip is not that useful in my opinion, unless you've got a second set of joy-cons to charge. Both joy-cons and pro controller last 60+ hour and I don't find that cumbersome to remove the joy-cons and put them back on the Switch (removing the straps is much more difficult though). I think the pro controller is a good way to start as you said yourself.

I also wouldn't buy a SD card right now unless you buy all your games digitally. I'm not even sure there are enough games released right now (at least in Europe or in the USA) to fill the memory.

And I won't comment about the screen protection because I still don't understand how one can get scratches on the screen itself, but whatever...

I also wouldn't buy a SD card right now unless you buy all your games digitally. I'm not even sure there are enough games released right now (at least in Europe or in the USA) to fill the memory.

And I won't comment about the screen protection because I still don't understand how one can get scratches on the screen itself, but whatever...

Considering that, right now at least, you can't move around your Switch files, I definitely want an SD card out of the gate to keep as much as possible on the card. I'd hate to be in a position a few years down the road where a couple of old saves & a downloaded game are eating up memory my Switch needs for a system update. Granted, the smart thing would be for Nintendo to remove that restriction so I could move stuff around later on... but I don't trust them to do that.

As for scratches- between fingernails, nieces, pets, zippers, pointy things inside of bags I wasn't aware of- I'd rather be safe than sorry.

of the ones i know of i want something to carry it with a screen protector for the dock and the screen on the go and of course a joycon wheel for my mario kart races and a pro controller so a bunch of stuff its gonna be an expensive summer lol

• Like 1

These things are pretty sweet. Charge via USB C and are Made in Germany. Have a nice heavy feel to them that the Wii U pro controllers were lacking (I otherwise love the Wii U pro controller.)

AND-they actually charge when the system is off. What will they think of next? lol

post-38373-0-85376400-1490796340_thumb.jpg

Edited by travistouchdown

Has anyone found a USB C to HDMI adapter yet out there that will get picture/sound to a TV? Please post a link if so :)

I tried the Switch on my Dell USB-C docking station ... no go. The Switch dock appears to have a custom chip for output to HDMI. It would be nice to have a smaller, more portable version of the dock. The AC adapter is so big, you'd think they could stick a little something else in there.

These things are pretty sweet. Charge via USB C and are Made in Germany. Have a nice heavy feel to them that the Wii U pro controllers were lacking (I otherwise love the Wii U pro controller.)

AND-they actually charge when the system is off. What will they think of next? lol

I like the Pro Controller, even at the higher-than-microsoft-or-sony asking prices.

I don't like the price is the only reason I don't have it. I get why it's there because it has every single feature of both those joycon parts inside just the one unit, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. That's what oddball sales during the year are for, leveling the playing field. I find it for $50-60(tops) I'd buy.

• 2 weeks later...