IGNORED

Power Up Issue

Hank Rearden

Yes, that is it. You won't find it at Radio Shack. Try DigiKey and Mouser (both mail order) or maybe Console5 (mail order)

The grey covering is just heat shrink with the printing on it, if you cut that away (no need to) you would find a metal can.

It is soldered in with two leads.

Yes, that is it. You won't find it at Radio Shack. Try DigiKey and Mouser (both mail order) or maybe Console5 (mail order)

The grey covering is just heat shrink with the printing on it, if you cut that away (no need to) you would find a metal can.

It is soldered in with two leads.

Can I get a little help on what exactly to search for when I'm on one of those sites?

Also, are there any other items, other than the caps that I replaced, that I might try?

Hank here is a cheap eBay listing for the 3.579545 MHZ Crystal (XTAL)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pcs-Abracon-AB-MicroProcessor-Crystal-3-579545-MHZ-20ppm-HC49-metal-can-/252818630431?hash=item3add2a271f:g:OBUAAOSw4GVYReWU

or search for this description: 3.579545 MHZ Crystal (XTAL)

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

Hank here is a cheap eBay listing for the 3.579545 MHZ Crystal (XTAL)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pcs-Abracon-AB-MicroProcessor-Crystal-3-579545-MHZ-20ppm-HC49-metal-can-/252818630431?hash=item3add2a271f:g:OBUAAOSw4GVYReWU

or search for this description: 3.579545 MHZ Crystal (XTAL)

Just replaced the crystal and it still does the exact same thing with my 2 Activision games.

Maybe it is the cart connector like mojo says? Anyone else have something I can try?

Did not realize your problem was with just two cartridges or I also would have given you a different suggestion?

What are the two cartridges?

Could be the cart connector or the games themselve

2 different Pitfall cartridges and Freeway. All 3 are Activision and play fine on my non-AV units. And in both cases, the Pitfall games have no sound other than when you run into logs. That issue only occurs on my CRT TV. If I hook it up via AV to the LCD, plays fine.

But all 3 cartridges have issues just starting up on the AV mod. Most other non-Activision carts never have issues. But when they do run, they play normally unit I shut it all down.

The fact that everything works when you have it hooked up to your LCD TV, makes me think you may have problem with your TV and nothing wrong with 2600.

Can you try on another CRT?

It iS also possible that you have PAL (Europe and other countries) not NTSC (US) cartridges for those games. Pal carts are programmed for 50Hz TV not 60Hz (us)

It would cause problems on a CRT but not a LCD.

Provide more info on TV hookup, set etc. if possible.

The fact that everything works when you have it hooked up to your LCD TV, makes me think you may have problem with your TV and nothing wrong with 2600.

Can you try on another CRT?

It iS also possible that you have PAL (Europe and other countries) not NTSC (US) cartridges for those games. Pal carts are programmed for 50Hz TV not 60Hz (us)

It would cause problems on a CRT but not a LCD.

Provide more info on TV hookup, set etc. if possible.

I take back what I said about playing fine on the LCD. Pitfall only has log sounds no matter where I play it. I just fiddled with several carts and the 3 Activision carts seem to be the worst offenders. They will boot up once in 10 or 12 tries. Once playing it plays fine until I power off the machine. I still don't see how it can be the cartridge slot since I'm only flicking the on and off switch. I'm not reseating cartridge each time.

I also tried Mrs Pacman and Superman. They both had issues on startup as well although not as bad as the Activision games. Sometimes I'd just get a blank screen, sometimes vertical colors bars, and others just lines and the high pitched whine. 2 different TeleGames carts seemed to have far fewer issues starting up. And not getting all of the games sounds on Pitfall is very strange. And it does the same thing on both Pitfall carts!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get this working? I think you may have the same problem I had here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264563-no-picture-composite-mod/

One of my problems was due to a bad TIA and another problem was due to a bad RIOT? (the middle chip). I still have an issue with that board though as the picture gets distorted on power up but will sometimes correct itself and other times by hitting reset. But it will play fine once it corrects itself. I have more troubleshooting to do on it eventually but I don't have the tools to to go over all the solder joints at this time so I set this board aside for now.

One of my problems was due to a bad TIA and another problem was due to a bad RIOT? (the middle chip). I still have an issue with that board though as the picture gets distorted on power up but will sometimes correct itself and other times by hitting reset. But it will play fine once it corrects itself. I have more troubleshooting to do on it eventually but I don't have the tools to to go over all the solder joints at this time so I set this board aside for now.

Try replacing C241 and C242 http://www.ebay.com/itm/172288217132?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT