IGNORED

Nintendo Switch Versus Atari Linx - A photo comparison

Look at all that empty space on the Lynx. I haven't owned one in years but I remember how awkward it was to hold.

Empty space on the outside, but inside, the circuit board took up the entire size of the shell.

post-18-0-22219700-1489155705_thumb.png

The Lynx was released nearly 28 years ago, we've certainly come a long way with technology since then.

Considering what it was capable of at the time (1989) and being portable, the size is really not too shabby. Besides, it could have been worse - like Atari 5200 truly 'wasting' space - kind of worse...lol.

• Like 3

Empty space on the outside, but inside, the circuit board took up the entire size of the shell.

attachicon.gifLYNXINSIDE.png

The Lynx was released nearly 28 years ago, we've certainly come a long way with technology since then.

Considering what it was capable of at the time (1989) and being portable, the size is really not too shabby. Besides, it could have been worse - like Atari 5200 truly 'wasting' space - kind of worse...lol.

For sure for the power it had and the time its fine. They could have still put stuff on the front to take up all the bland area. Like graphics, more buttons, killer 90s boom box style speaker grills

• Like 1

It's amazing to me that the Atari Lynx is almost 30 years old .... from the times of D cell batteries in many toys. The external D cell battery pack was about the size of the Switch's docking station. When I consider that, it's neat that the Lynx was as small as it was. It would have been fun to have an all-day-gamer briefcase sized thing like Radio Raheem's boombox.

The gap between 1961 video games and the Lynx in 1989 is arguably much wider than the difference between the Lynx and th 2017 Switch. :-D

It's very close to the Lynx 2, but what amazing is when you do a side profile. The switch is super thin next to the Lynx II which looks like a loaf of bread in comparison..lol

It's a Lynx I ftr.

I actually often wish these handhelds were thicker. I'm sure my wife and kids don't but I liked how thick the gamepad was. It's well built and what not, especially for having removable parts. But eh, could be thicker for me.

Meh. I have large hands, and even the Wii-U Gamepad felt bulky to me. The Lynx however is comfortable though so it has more to do with ergonomics than actual thickness somehow. The Switch tablet is definitely a huge improvement over the Wii-U gamepad, but I vastly prefer the feel of the Pro controller over the tablet + Joycon. That isn't to say the tablet is uncomfortable when undocked. It is an improvement over the Wii-U gamepad, but the Pro controller fits like a glove in my hands.

And the joycon grip is not bad either, but the smallish buttons and lack of a proper D-pad leave me reaching for the Pro. I haven't tried split Joycon gaming yet. At least one accessory company is making ergo grips for the Joycons, and you also have the wheels for Mario Kart.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to butt in and say this is *exactly* the vibes I got from the Lynx.
Nintendo is no stranger at trying new things, like Cyan used to do. There's no telling what they came up with that never left the prototype phase, including turning the NES into a Commodore 64-like computer...

• Like 2

I just wanted to butt in and say this is *exactly* the vibes I got from the Lynx.

Nintendo is no stranger at trying new things, like Cyan used to do. There's no telling what they came up with that never left the prototype phase, including turning the NES into a Commodore 64-like computer...

Considering some of the whacky patents Nintendo has made over the years, ranging from a sleep sensor to a rideable saddle. Probably a lot more unpublished stuff in Nintendo's coffers that the Google sleuths don't have access too.

• Like 1