IGNORED

Stupidly EXPENSIVE & Rare N64 Games - COMPLETE in BOX!

The Immortal John Hancock (SWLOVINST here on AtariAge) shows us the most rare and expensive games for the N64. John owns a complete in box US Nintendo 64 game collection as well as 11,000+ games, making him one of the biggest game collectors in Washington State!

SEE CURRENT PRICES: http://goo.gl/JWuVPW

GAMES SHOWN:
Snowboard Kids 2
Daikatana
Bomber Man 64 The Second Attack
Super Bowling
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Worms Armageddon
Transformers Beast Wars: Transmetals
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Stunt Racer 64
ClayFighter: The Sculptor's Cut
It's crazy that Sculptor's Cut is currently being listed between $2000 and $2500!!!
  • Like 1

Wow, I've actually owned every game on that list over the years! I probably still have them with a bunch of other carts in storage. And yeah, that includes Clayfighters- our local Blockbusters had plenty of those around back in the day.

Beyond that, though, I'm surprised not to see a mention of Aidyn Chronicles or Rat Attack- I never knew those existed until recently.

• Like 1

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is another Blockbuster exclusive. I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine. Not a great game, even though I like the franchise and the developer.

Seems there were SNES games like this too.

http://www.gamesradar.com/blockbuster-exclusive-games/

Personally, I'm only interested in gameplay, not box rarity.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is another Blockbuster exclusive. I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine. Not a great game, even though I like the franchise and the developer.

Seems there were SNES games like this too.

http://www.gamesradar.com/blockbuster-exclusive-games/

Personally, I'm only interested in gameplay, not box rarity.

Not entirely. Check this: https://web.archive.org/web/20001109194700/http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/cs-specials.htm#indyN64

Took me about 15min to remember the web address and sleuth around to find it, but there ya go. It wasn't a blockbuster exclusive entirely. That's how I got my complete in box copy, I preordered it direct from the publisher (Lucas Arts Company Store) back in late 2000. I had asked them about it or saw it on some blurb on an old gaming site, but they released 10000 copies of the game which a portion were sold via that link there, and the rest went to block buster.

It's mind blowing to me considering how they did a minimum run of the game why the hell it's not one of the most expensive titles on the system given the dual pedigree of LucasArts and Indiana Jones, but on the other hand I'm glad it's not because it really is a fantastic game unlike a lot of the turds that see the bigger bucks.

Blockbuster sold them off CIB as well eventually for $49.95 too through their webstore after LucasArts was done with their pre-sell allotment too. https://web.archive.org/web/20010129110900/http://www.blockbuster.com/gm/detail.jhtml?CATID=3200&PRODID=255896

That link was through this one before it: https://web.archive.org/web/20010119180900/http://www.lucasarts.com/products/indy/

:)

• Like 1

OMG good find. I remember that site layout. Now that you mention it, I'm almost certain that's where I got my copy. I was a LucasArts junkie back then. Honestly, I still am, I buy everything with their logo on it, whether it's any good or not. I don't consider Infernal Machine a very good game. I remember The Emperor's Tomb as a better game, but I doubt I'd even want to look at either one of them nowadays.

I also have Stunt Racer 64. I remember reading about its development, but maybe that's the one I got from Blockbuster.

Indiana Jones® and the Infernal Machine™ for Nintendo 64 will soon be here. Take advantage of our pre-order special and pay $49.95 including free shipping and handling*. Don't delay, because this offer expires 12/8/00* and this game WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT RETAIL.

If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones. Be the first to grab a whip, fedora and your Nintendo 64 and join Indy in his boldest console adventure ever. This game is a must-have for any N64 collection featuring several enhancements over the PC version including augmented graphics, play control, sound and lighting. Help Indy traverse several special action sequences ranging from guiding a raft through an exciting descent of white-water rapids to a spectacular off-road Jeep chase through the jungle to an exhilarating roller-coaster-like mine car ride.

Indiana Jones® and the Infernal Machine™ will not be available to buy in stores. Due to anticipated demand, there is a two-games per customer limit on this title. Don't miss out - pre-order today!

Available week of December 15th.

*Free shipping offer valid on standard delivery within the U.S. only; normal expedited and Canadian shipping rates apply. Offer good until 12/8/00 or while supplies last. Limited availability, maximum two per order.

The Snowboard Kids 2 extras reminded me of a box I recently sold. It was for the Gameboy Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening game. I have lost the game itself, but still had the box and all the stuff. In the ebay auction, I said that they could just add their game and have a CIB Link's Awakening. I also said something about how it had all this other stuff and that if it didn't have it then it wasn't really Complete, was it.

post-21069-0-24769500-1489176032_thumb.jpg

Just a scant four years, almost the same lifespan as Wii U.

It was considered kind of a failure at the time. Short lifespan, sold far fewer units than its predecessor, got fewer games than its competition, and had a reputation for blurry, low-poly graphics. It was also the start of Nintendo having trouble attracting third party developers. Nintendo kept promising that it'd take over and dominate in the end like the SNES did in the latter stages of the previous generation, but it never happened with the N64.

Of course lots of things get re-evaluated over time. I personally think its rep has actually been helped by Nintendo's other failures - it just doesn't look as bad in comparison to either the GameCube or the Wii, both of which sold fewer units than the N64. The N64 now looks like kind of an average console in terms of sales, in the absence of historical context.

And of course there are a lot of good games, as there are for basically every system including most of the commercial failures. At a certain point people stop trying to weigh one purchase against another and start appreciating systems and games on their own merits.

• Like 1

It was considered kind of a failure at the time. Short lifespan, sold far fewer units than its predecessor, got fewer games than its competition, and had a reputation for blurry, low-poly graphics. It was also the start of Nintendo having trouble attracting third party developers. Nintendo kept promising that it'd take over and dominate in the end like the SNES did in the latter stages of the previous generation, but it never happened with the N64.

Of course lots of things get re-evaluated over time. I personally think its rep has actually been helped by Nintendo's other failures - it just doesn't look as bad in comparison to either the GameCube or the Wii, both of which sold fewer units than the N64. The N64 now looks like kind of an average console in terms of sales, in the absence of historical context.

And of course there are a lot of good games, as there are for basically every system including most of the commercial failures. At a certain point people stop trying to weigh one purchase against another and start appreciating systems and games on their own merits.

Yes yes, I was there too ... it was clear it was never going to be the popular girl like Playstation, and it got a fraction of the games. Some of them were VERY good though, especially if you bought into the Next Generation/EDGE magazine hype cycle. No one else got as many perfect 10 scores as N64.

I thought the unique look of the games was attractive then and it still holds up now ... kinda-sorta anyway. I like sharp edges, blurry textures, and fog, I guess.

It's the four year lifespan that struck me just now ... and GameCube came a year after that, not unlike where we are with the death of Wii U and the launch of the Switch. I guess it takes a few calendar quarters to realize that your dying machine isn't going to have a "dead cat bounce."

Stunt Race 64 had to be it then. I had a fun time that year 2000 at E3, met the last guy standing on the project and short of using 4 letter words he had NOTHING nice to say about George Lucas and his rotten behavior towards the Indy N64 project because was had to have out Battle for Naboo (the very inferior game of the two) by X date or else which is why both Indy got pushed and demoted to a 10K run of mostly rentals. I was sold on the game after playing that demo of the game that dude was cobbling together after prick Lucas pull the entire team off it. That's why the game is known for certain annoying bugs, one man can not carry something spotless to the finish, yet it still is the best version of the game if for any reason zelda z-lock on and camera mechanics, added stages, and the fact it has better clearer visuals than the PC and the audio quality didn't take a hit oddly either.

N64 had a good 4 1/2 year run and dragged out a slow death into 5 years with a stupid power puff girls game, razor scooter suckage, and finally a solid release of tony hawk pro skater 3 to end it. Its best years really were 1996/7 and back half of 99 into much of 2000. Later 97 through first half of 99 was mostly a ghost town due to shenanigans on many fronts from multiple sources. N64 had the better hardware but was horribly gimped by that stupid cartridge.

Also, the N64 was a far better multiplayer "party" system than the PS1, and although that was not going to save it in the late 90s, it's a huge bonus to collectors 20 years later.

Funny thing...to me that "saved it" to where it exactly ended up in history. It wasn't going to be the one factor to help it beat Sony, no, but it made them more competitive right? MP was a HUGE factor to me and my friends back then, and a big reason we played more 64 than we EVER did PS. Alone? I was playing a few hours Tomb Raider, Crash, Tekken, etc. When friends were around? Mario sports games, Goldeneye, AKI wrestling games, in marathon sessions.

And to me, 4p multiplayer was worth far more then (being younger, when actual friends at your house were a constant, and online gaming wasn't so much a thing) than now. Maybe I just have less friends now (very possible) but same-room multiplayer is practically quaint at this point, and kind of feels like using a phone with a cord on it. Maybe even with a rotary dial.

I had Conker's Bad Fur Day, it was far to blurry graphics and not enjoyable at all to play. Mind you, made me a shit load of money selling it.

That was the worst thing about the N64 those blurry fuzzy graphics.

Mind you the N64 still looks good on my gaming shelf.

WP_20170311_19_09_41_Pro1_zpsuuydxei3.jp

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

It's not rare, it's faux rare. A pick and choose title of hyper inflation to rip people off over from word of mouth on how awesome it is. That's why it's confusing why some games get so much and others that probably should due to limited runs or being a total if not near total rental do not.

I had Conker's Bad Fur Day, it was far to blurry graphics and not enjoyable at all to play. Mind you, made me a shit load of money selling it.

That was the worst thing about the N64 those blurry fuzzy graphics.

Mind you the N64 still looks good on my gaming shelf.

WP_20170311_19_09_41_Pro1_zpsuuydxei3.jp

That’s mostly down to the horrid anti-aliasing it had and it’s removal of RGB out IMO. The former, like the dithering on the PSX, was supposed to make things look better on CRT sets. Which to be fair, because of their nature, actually doesn’t look bad *if* you’re using a CRT. Put them through a panel however and both consoles look awful.

I’ve got both plugged into a CRT now and they look great.

I freaking hate everything about the N64 especially the controllers. Not "if" but "when" I decide to get rid of my modest collection of systems and games, the N64 will be the first to go.

The controller is abysmal, this a totally agree on, which is why I have both a Hori (sadly pricey as hell these days) and a N64 to Gamecube adapter ;)

The controller is abysmal, this a totally agree on, which is why I have both a Hori (sadly pricey as hell these days) and a N64 to Gamecube adapter ;)

I've got a couple of those Hori controllers, if it's the one I'm thinking you're referring to here. It came out a good year or more prior to the GameCube launching, so Hori must have been privy to Nintendo's workings, because it is very much like a Cube pad heh.

I've got a couple of those Hori controllers, if it's the one I'm thinking you're referring to here. It came out a good year or more prior to the GameCube launching, so Hori must have been privy to Nintendo's workings, because it is very much like a Cube pad heh.

It's the Hori mini-pad. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/hardware_review_n64_hori_mini_pad Brilliant thing, stick is very much like a GC stick. I also have a Raphnet N64 to GameCube controller adapter so I can use a real GC pad with it. http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/ The N64 pads live in a box and never get used ;)

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1