IGNORED

Bad Apples

playsoft

With Dhor's great rendition of the music, Miker suggested using it in an A8 port of the demo I had running on the 5200. Attached are versions in a number of different resolutions for 8mbit AtariMax MaxFlash cart and 1088 Rambo memory expansion. I'd never considered epilepsy warnings before but I included one here since there is quite a bit of flashing with the strobe option.

atarimax_bin.zip

atarimax_car.zip

rambo1088.zip

• Like 13

Love these, an 8 bit 'Spaceballs' (if you don't know what that is search spaceballs amiga), I presume its streamed frames?

The music is really nice but (tiny but) sounds out of tune when the main voices come in....Trying to not offend any one here, is it just me, I do have tinnitus, or meant or Pokey emulation?

As said, I love it as music and a demo, would love to know the source material used, my daughter loves manga (the not raunchy stuff) and Japanese / Chinese culture...

Edit: I say source material but there's every chance you created it yourself, I presumed a source because that's one hell of a lot of work there...Either way, looks great..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

It's a music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3C-VevI36s

Which has been ported to a number of systems including a fantastic version on the VCS which is how I heard about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9ZA50X71s

The A8 version is using LZ4 compression and depending on the resolution it's either bitmap or char mode (char mode did tend to give better compression results).

The A8 version is using LZ4 compression and depending on the resolution it's either bitmap or char mode (char mode did tend to give better compression results).

Very nice video presentation.

As the video is only b/w (2 colors), have you used Antic mode B (160x120) ?

I wonder of the possible fps there.

About the question of McLaneinc . The tune suffers by the known cancelling problem. It's interesting to see after 40 years of Atari 8 bits still given. No Tracker removes it...

I see, the tune is converted from the C64. In my other thread I stumble with those basses. The cancelling easily could be removed, btw.

I'd never considered epilepsy warnings before but I included one here since there is quite a bit of flashing with the strobe option.

Good idea, don't know if i can fall asleep tonight. I'm afraid to close my eyes, flashing will start again and again... ;-)

By the way, cooool work!

Tigerduck

Edited by Tigerduck

Very nice video presentation.

As the video is only b/w (2 colors), have you used Antic mode B (160x120) ?

I wonder of the possible fps there.

About the question of McLaneinc . The tune suffers by the known cancelling problem. It's interesting to see after 40 years of Atari 8 bits still given. No Tracker removes it...

I see, the tune is converted from the C64. In my other thread I stumble with those basses. The cancelling easily could be removed, btw.

Hi Emkay,

Could you give me a pointer to threads about this 'cancelling issue'...

It seems its an 8 bit issue rather than an emulation issue which does not worry but asks why people are happy to have their stuff bastardised by a production format..

Hi Emkay,

Could you give me a pointer to threads about this 'cancelling issue'...

Where have you been in the last two decades ;) Most of my posts here in Atari Age refer to that and there have been a lot of explanations.

It seems its an 8 bit issue rather than an emulation issue which does not worry but asks why people are happy to have their stuff bastardised by a production format..

Not sure, what "stuff bastardised by a production format.." means.

But, if software offers, what a computer has built in, why not using that?

If you put the full control into a tracker, you could do a main voice, using not just "16 steps" of volume, with tricks, in RMT it is possible to control about 16 different volumes inbetween. You also can build slides around notes... and so on.

OK. One example. Which is "in theory" absolutely impossible. I did FX, using removed cancelling, and volume manipulations and slides. If you check the refrain, they are not just randomly set.

• Like 3

Where have you been in the last two decades ;) Most of my posts here in Atari Age refer to that and there have been a lot of explanations.

Not sure, what "stuff bastardised by a production format.." means.

But, if software offers, what a computer has built in, why not using that?

If you put the full control into a tracker, you could do a main voice, using not just "16 steps" of volume, with tricks, in RMT it is possible to control about 16 different volumes inbetween. You also can build slides around notes... and so on.

OK. One example. Which is "in theory" absolutely impossible. I did FX, using removed cancelling, and volume manipulations and slides. If you check the refrain, they are not just randomly set.

post it please :)

I'm starting to want an emkay thread where all the works appear with explanation, exploration, and theory behind it.....

I would make a request of emkay to take the TRON movies and reconstruct the music and sound btw... I think emkay is singularly capable of reproducing what once was....

in the second example you clearly show how the drifting and convergences effect the qualities and distinctions within the produced sounds. These 'unintended' characteristics can be overcome, as you have shown, and they also can be used 'intentionally' to produce results and effects you see fit to as is the case when using them to your advantage......

Initializing or synchronizing periodically keeps things on track, letting it go can be fun as well ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

post it please :)

Sorry, don't find the RMT file yet.

In the appended file, you find a recording of another tune.

Well, it's really disrupting , how the feedback of this community works. I'd bet, on the C64 people would ask me for optimizing stuff, while on the Atari scene it seems, they'd prefer to cut their fingers, instead of asking me for some co-work.

There ARE issues, with the tune above, as the emulation changes the timing between the channels. The tune in the wave.zip shows that everything stays stable , alike if 1 , 2 , or 3 channels play, on the real thing...

wave.zip

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...