IGNORED

Amiga 2500 data transfer

mehguy

Is there any good way for me to transfer data to and from the Amiga? It doesn't have IDE so a CF card is a no go. I've done a little research and I've come up with either a null modem transfer, a SCSI CDrom drive or a ZIP drive. The null modem seems to be the easiest although I don't know how fast it is compared to CDrom or the ZIP drive. The ZIP drive seems to be the best option (because of re writable disks) but I don't know if the Amiga supports the zip drive through the SCSI. Any ideas?

Think you're going to want to upgrade your Kickstart to 3.1 first. 1.3 is going to require a 3rd party program like a very early copy of AsimCDFS at the very least.

As to installing the drive... you're familiar with opening up your computer, drive sled and all that? Pretty self explanatory once you get in there. Slip the drive in place, secure with a couple of screws, route your ribbon cable, etc. Fun stuff! :lol:

As to installing the drive... you're familiar with opening up your computer, drive sled and all that? Pretty self explanatory once you get in there. Slip the drive in place, secure with a couple of screws, route your ribbon cable, etc. Fun stuff! :lol:

Well I meant more so on the software side of things. :lol:

Well I meant more so on the software side of things. :lol:

Okay, never know sometimes! :lol:

You'll want to scour the interwebs for that program called AsimCDFS... that's basically a CD file system, but there's many versions of it. I *think* version 1 or 1.1 might be what you're looking for with Kickstart 1.3 - but like I said, you're probably going to want to get 3.1 in there before long anyway. Much easier to work with and offers many more modern features. Then you can play around with WHDload for games, etc. Also with OS3.1, the 3rd party CD file system is not necessary as the driver is built in. Some people still like to use AsimCDFS though as there's quite a few more features involved, like CDTV/CD32 (if you have a 1200/4000), Nakamichi or Pioneer changer compatibility, SCSI utilities and that kind of stuff.