IGNORED

Melody Blaster Updates

intvdave

The synthesizer is probably the most neglected component slightly behind the ECS itself. It was a shame that the song tapes were not released.

I started working on updating Melody Blaster and one of the first things was to create / add new music. Check out:

melody.rom

Song #1 is "Star Wars Theme"

and Song #7, Greensleeves, has been updated to the full song.

I will continue adding / changing songs. This thread is to see what interest there is in the synthesizer and to share the work I have done.

• Like 12

Awesome! Big interest in this from me as I love to play with the synthesizer and have wished more material had been made for decades. I cannot remember which thread joked about making Rock Band Intellivision components but if they had been made along with the game I would have instantly bought them; big music fan. I understand most folks probably do not have the synthesizer so is a much smaller or limited market to produce for but you have my full support (i.e. money) if you produce a new melody blaster version with a library of new songs in rom or cart form (or dare I say a new game altogether?) moving forward! :)

I will add any song people want. All I ask is for you to compose it in the format I need. At this time, Melody Blaster supports 3 octaves. I am debating on adding additional octaves but the keyboard may look to compressed. My current plan is to add songs my kid will play so do not expect complex songs.

For now..at least you have Star Wars :)

BBWW, if you like, I will create a ROM with a collection of your songs and call it "BBWW's Melodies" :) You can promote it with your music!

• Like 5

What is the format you need?

Thanks.

I will add any song people want. All I ask is for you to compose it in the format I need. At this time, Melody Blaster supports 3 octaves. I am debating on adding additional octaves but the keyboard may look to compressed. My current plan is to add songs my kid will play so do not expect complex songs.

For now..at least you have Star Wars :)

BBWW, if you like, I will create a ROM with a collection of your songs and call it "BBWW's Melodies" :) You can promote it with your music!

What jzIntv parameters are you using to launch this?

The synthesizer is probably the most neglected component slightly behind the ECS itself. It was a shame that the song tapes were not released.

I started working on updating Melody Blaster and one of the first things was to create / add new music. Check out:

attachicon.gifmelody.rom

Song #1 is "Star Wars Theme"

and Song #7, Greensleeves, has been updated to the full song.

I will continue adding / changing songs. This thread is to see what interest there is in the synthesizer and to share the work I have done.

Awesome! Big interest in this from me as I love to play with the synthesizer and have wished more material had been made for decades. I cannot remember which thread joked about making Rock Band Intellivision components but if they had been made along with the game I would have instantly bought them; big music fan. I understand most folks probably do not have the synthesizer so is a much smaller or limited market to produce for but you have my full support (i.e. money) if you produce a new melody blaster version with a library of new songs in rom or cart form (or dare I say a new game altogether?) moving forward! :)

Thanks for the support Intellivet. I am sure you are correct. I would guess that most Intellivision collectors do not own a synthesizer. Rev is probably one.

I will not need financial support. Whatever I put together will be made available at no expense. I would love to hear of people using their synthesizers. The reason I requested for the Ultimate Interface to be made was so that I could use the ECS keyboard and Synthesizer in emulation on my PC. I love the hardware! I now have more reason to use them.

The support I could use would be good song selections and help with documenting the songs. I can explain the format I need.

• Like 3

This is awesome. I've always felt that the Synth was a massively underutilized Intellivision controller. The fantastic success of Rock Band and Guitar Hero (and DDR, Parappa the Rapper, etc) evidence its potential. I'm still hoping someone 3D prints an Intellivision II-esque guitar controller and releases the homebrew "Heavy Mattel". Someday, this will happen. In the meantime, it's cool to see some development with the synth. I'd suggest attempting the music of Thunder Castle and Snafu...and maybe YYZ by Rush :D

• Like 6

I definitely would be interested a have a NIB Synthesizer that I bought New from Italy many years ago (white version). I would probably pick up a loose one in good working order for my boys to play on. I have no technical knowledge of anything so unfortunately I can't provide any input on song documentation:-( I have no clue on limitations of Synthesizer but I did play Melody Blaster for 1st time a few years back and was pretty impressed with it. Some songs I would personally love of possible would be "Flash Gordon" Movie Soundtrack by Queen or any good Queen song for that matter, any Pink Floyd songs, any Kiss songs, and any Metallica or other good bands like Beatles, etc... Sorry I can't be of more use but thumbs up for doing this. Still need to take Flintstones Keyboard Fun for a whirl as well.

Thanks again for your efforts David - two thumbs up!!

Joe

• Like 1

A huge thanks to Rev for pointing me to Synthesia! It is Melody Blaster for the PC, Mac, IOS, and Android.

http://www.synthesiagame.com/

A sweet option is the ability to download MIDI files which removes the need to encode them into Melody Blaster. And another one is that I can use my 88 key piano instead of the Inty synthesizer.

I am still willing to add songs to Melody Blaster but the songs would have to be ones for kids to learn with. I am not going to do anything complicated as they would be best played with Synthesia.

I may still work on updating Melody Blaster but I think I am going to be a bit busy actually playing the piano now! Thanks again Rev! I do not know why I did not think of this before :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Boo!  I thought I was first to hack Melody Blaster and change the music.  Oh well, at least I was first to change all the tunes, I think.  Good thing I didn't get caught up playing Synthesia.

So for a tiebreaker round, somebody has to put a tune onto an Aquarius tape.

2 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

So for a tiebreaker round, somebody has to put a tune onto an Aquarius tape.

This is not a competition. I saw your thread on you adding all new tunes. I thought of reaching out to you but there is just no interest in the piano for the ECS. I moved on to other projects. I do love what you did!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, intvdave said:

This is not a competition. I saw your thread on you adding all new tunes. I thought of reaching out to you but there is just no interest in the piano for the ECS. I moved on to other projects. I do love what you did!

I only said "competition" because putting tunes onto virtual tapes was what inspired me to reverse-engineer this game in the first place.  I thought changing the built-in music would be an intermediate step.  The reason I didn't keep going is because I don't assume tunes loaded from tape would contain more than one music channel, same as when playing a melody with the keyboard.

• 2 years later...