IGNORED

Apple IIGS Advice?

simbalion

I have another want ad up on CL looking for an Apple ][ or ][+ again and had an email from a person offering me a IIGS. Now, I am not against getting a IIGS, really. So, I emailed some questions back, but never got an answer. *Grumble* Anyways, I wonder what to look for on a IIGS and what the average going rate is for a complete system? One issue I have noticed over the years is you seem to find parts, but hardly complete systems up for sale. I know I passed up on some complete ones at local school sales years ago, thinking they were Macs. So, any advice would be nice. :)

Seeing as the IIGS was the last Apple Woz had any input on at all (and in spite of Apple limiting it, still seems to be a great unit), I have always figured it would go well with my other Apple II series units. The backwards compatibility and such also make it more of an attractive 16 bit computer system to me than an Amiga or Atari ST.

About $300 for a complete system, depending on what "complete" actually means. That's about what I paid for mine including matching color monitor, keyboard and two of each disk drive type, but otherwise no other additions. If the monitor's non-matching, you only get one drive or whatever, then you can deduct a bit from that.

I grew up with the Apple II and I basically use a IIGS exclusively now. Unless you have a need to run one of the very few programs the IIGS won't, or you just like the original Apple II case or keyboards, there's not much reason to use anything but a IIGS at this point.

Thanks for the advice. The guy did actually email back with pictures, finally. Sadly, my lousy internet won't let me download the photos from my webmail tonight. (Snow Storm issues?). Anyways, the good news. It is a Woz edition, it isn't far from me, has a folder of software that might be //e related as it contains a lot of MECC titles according to the owner. The bad news: It's been sitting on a garage shelf for years, only appears to have a 5.25 inch drive, and the keyboard is missing. Still, might make a starter system. Ideas on a good offer to start with?

The battery leaks on them if they've been sitting for a while, so there's a decent chance it's ruined.

No keyboard and one 5.25 drive, I wouldn't pay more than $50-75. Maybe $100 if it has a monitor that works.

You'd pay over $100 to get a 3.5" drive and the original keyboard, if not more.

Well, I did make an offer, voicing my concerns in the email. I also said for the seller to not be afraid to shoot back a counter-offer. It's all the art of the deal after all. Really, at this point if he can find the folder of software and it is IIe compatible, I would just be happy with that if the diskettes are at least good enough to copy. Actually, that would add some value to to purchase for sure. It's entirely possible this unit might still work if the battery hasn't caused any major damage. Personally, I would rather get it home and crack it open to clean things out instead of trying it where it is. Sometimes the difference between a working piece of vintage electronics and a dead one is a simple piece of crud in the wrong spot! As far as composite monitors go, would this work with either my little //c or Applecolor II composite monitors for testing? Come to think of it, I need to see if the shop I know can recap a couple Monitor II's for me..

Edited by simbalion

As far as composite monitors go, would this work with either my little //c or Applecolor II composite monitors for testing? Come to think of it, I need to see if the shop I know can recap a couple Monitor II's for me..

It'll work. It has a composite output in addition to RGB. Apple II composite output doesn't always work with TV's but it does with Apple monitors that have a composite input.

You will probably want a 3.5" drive, or a Floppy Emu or CFFA3000 instead. But you'll want some way to use IIGS-specific software. You can run any 8 bit Apple II software with the 5.25" drive, but it'd really drive me crazy to be able to run 16 bit software but not have any way to get it into the system.

The IIGS included a much better battery than other computers (looking at you Amigas!!) and there is a better chance it did not leak as opposed to did. I received my IIGS a few months ago with the original battery and no leakage at all. It has been replaced regardless of course.

I paid $50 for mine about a year ago, IIGS only so that price range above seems fair. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery it is actually not common like on the Amiga. The nice thing about the IIGS is that it was the first Apple to use ADB ports so you can get any Macintosh ADB keyboard and Mouse and it should be fine. I use mine with an Apple Extended II and an Apple Design keyboard and mouse.

Erg, not sounding good. Forgot about that stupid battery. Actually, I have a couple 3.5 inch Apple floppy drives stored away.

Of the Five Apple ][gs and Three Refurbished Motherboards I have, only the one ROM3 ( that had the battery left in it ) leaked..

ALL the ROM1s ( and a ROM0 ), plus the Three Factory Refurbished Motherboards had no Issue with leakage..

So go check it out... "Trust but Verify"..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

I actually have a Mac keyboard and mouse left over from a Macintosh classic that died ages ago. Might also have an extended Mac keyboard as well. Just will have to dig up a cord. So far, no reply back on my offer though.

If you Facebook, you can join the Apple ][ Group there and someone will have spare parts, that they will part with at a reasonable price...

MarkO

Well, still no reply back from that possible seller, so this might all be moot. I actually did find my Apple Extended Keyboard II and, after looking at pictures, the mouse and Mac keyboard I dug out are almost dead ringers for the ones I am seeing being used with IIGs rigs. Both keyboards are filthy, with the Extended one having come from a basement years ago with all sorts of crap on it. Might work, night not. I did put a wanted ad up on CL to see if I can find a IIGS nearby. The more I read about them, the more curious I am getting.

• Like 1

If you want to play around to see what a IIGS would be like, you can go here and use the browser-based Apple IIGS: http://www.virtualapple.org/

It works pretty well and has tons of games you can play. You can also break out of the games and do some programming on the command line on it.

Edit: looks like it is old and not supported in current browsers anymore. You can download Firefox version 45 ESR release here that should work: https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-45.8.0esr-SSL&os=win&lang=en-US

You need to type about:config in the URL and scroll to the bottom and change the xpinstall.signatures.required to false by double clicking on it.

Edited by thorr

If you want to play around to see what a IIGS would be like, you can go here and use the browser-based Apple IIGS: http://www.virtualapple.org/

It works pretty well and has tons of games you can play. You can also break out of the games and do some programming on the command line on it.

Edit: looks like it is old and not supported in current browsers anymore. You can download Firefox version 45 ESR release here that should work: https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-45.8.0esr-SSL&os=win&lang=en-US

You need to type about:config in the URL and scroll to the bottom and change the xpinstall.signatures.required to false by double clicking on it.

You can download KEGS or one of its derivatives, like Active GS and install an Apple ][gs Emulator locally on your Machine..

MarkO

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the IIgs is up for offer to me again. The guy wants $75 for it along with an eMac he used as a teacher in school. The eMac has to be wiped though, because of it having the school's system on it. (Actually this guy being a teacher might explain why he supposedly has several MECC titles stored away somewhere.) I actually have a phone number now, so might try calling tomorrow. I would tonight, but am wiped out after a very long day at work and trying to get a vendor space to sell some of my antique radios.