IGNORED

How big a problem really is the Switch internal 32GB Memory?

Rick Dangerous

So the Switch has 32 GB of internal flash storage, 6.1-7GB of which is set aside for the OS. Also, all saves from games will be saved to the system memory. So "internal memory" could quickly become scarce. Downloading a game like Zelda will take up half the system memory, and DragonQuest, at 32GB, won't even fit.

I for one am pretty concerned about this becoming a real problem. Not from a downloading games standpoint, as those can be put on micro SD cards which while smallish now should eventually grow to the Switch's 2TB maximum. But to me it seems like a few system updates, a few saved games, and a few patches later, the internal memory could quickly fill up. Then what? Saved games aren't currently designed to go on the Micro SD card? I've had systems before that ran out of system memory, many times actually (Sega CD, Saturn, 3DO, Wii, Xbox, PS3) and it is never pretty. Shuffling files around, deleting stuff and trying to upgrade Memory carts or HDD's.

Is this really a non-issue? Am I making more of this than it has the potential to become? Obviously others (this is one article of many) are thinking about this:

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/20/nintendo-switchs-storage-problems-and-solutions-discussed-by-nintendo/

The 32GB for the Wii U seemed small at the time, but my mind was put to ease as soon as I hooked up my 2TB Seagate drive. I haven't even come close to filling it. That said, the Switch is portable and dragging around an external powered HD makes no sense. And yet Nintendo says they may be making this an option for the Switch. So then you have the 32GB internal storage, a 128GB micro SD, and a 4TB drive hooked up. What goes where exactly and how would that work? Seems convoluted.

Anyway looking forward to your thoughts, ideas, and speculation on this issue.

Installs and patches can go to the MicroSD card, right?

Theoretically. I downloaded a patch for Bomberman R and I think it went to the system memory. I'm not sure if you really have a choice as to how they are allocated. For example if you need more room for save files will the system be coded to move downloads/patches to the SD card?

If anything at least the small memory will force programmers to create lean updates, games and patches, rather than the bloated 100gb installs you see for xbone and PS4 games..

• Like 1

I think it starts on the one, rolls into the other. I believe android similarly does that on its cards when used as addition storage space.

32GB should be enough for probably quite a few people because they are your normal small beans gamer. The type who may download a few VC games, maybe another thing or two at best, but mostly will just buy a real game at the store probably a few times a year. I know it's hard to relate that to all the complaining online but people who whine about that are those who buy 1+ games a month, probably have multiple systems and like an addict hammer stuff out and move on fast. Many game players though aren't that way, are derided as casuals, and they'll finish a system owning probably a game a quarter. As long as some game isn't heavily broken out of the card and needing some .5GB patch to repair it odds are filling the stock storage is going to take time.

But if you're one of those people who don't care about owning stuff, and you're fine paying for a digital game rental, you're screwed. 32GB won't even fit that rushed out unoptimized mess Square-Enix put out in Japan (DQ Heroes 1+2) as it uses a 32GB card. Zelda also we saw uses up a lot of the existing space too. Someone like that is going to need to pay up for a 128GB or 200GB card as anything over that just isn't price practical right now.

32GB is NOT going to carry a LOT of games.

I think you'll see games that actually exceed that size rather quickly.
But it will hold several favorites I'm sure..
Is it a problem?
Not really.
It just means that you will have to carry larger games around on MicorSD cards instead of on board flash..
Talk about a major inconvenience! Those things are huge! Oh wait... that was the NES, SNES, N64...
You'll have to worry more about loosing the tiny little things than anything else.

I trust Nintendo not to shoot themselves in the foot. I'm sure that's hilarious to some people, but I believe it to be true. Adding more storage would increase the unit price without adding necessary functionality.

32GB is a lot of storage if it's just used for saved games. A 200GB card is $60 now, and a 2TB card is likely to be affordable before this becomes an issue. A person can have a lot of fun with 32GB of data.

My entire 3DS catalog fits on a 32GB microSD, and that's after downloading many, many full sized digital games. And the Switch has a slot for even more.

My Xbox One cloud storage only has 1.6GB of storage remaining, and I never seem to run out of space there, even with more than 200 games stored on my 4TB drive.

• Like 1