IGNORED

ColecoVision System box replica

Leonardo Biagi

Hello everybody. I already have two topics and different forums but with the same theme. Replica console boxes. I wrote on both Vectrex and 3DO forums asking for pictures and dimensions of the system (console) boxes because I don't have any of them and can't find empty boxes to sell. As I said there I'm not a die hard collector and only wish to have my consoles stored in a neat way. So I'm starting projects to design those replica boxes, but it's been very hard to find nice and clean pictures of all the sides of the boxes, and even the correct dimensions of them. In the Vectrex section, one good soul (Igallair) helped me and I'm posting the progress on the forum so if there's anyone who might be interested in it can comment and help me improve before I turn them into a real box. I don't have the intention to fool anyone into thinking they're original, but I'm trying to make them as accurate as possible. So why am I writing in the ColecoVision forum? Because I got the dimensions in some other forum and could gather enough pictures to make a box, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are correct and there's one thing or two that can be improved. I'm posting the pictures of what I got so far and would love if someone could comment or even send me more pictures and the so hard to find dimension. I will also start a project afterwards on the styrofoam replica, so if anybody would be willing to send pictures (those pictures are impossible to find anywhere) I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks.

post-50438-0-93566000-1489371194_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-52736900-1489371216_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-44872700-1489371231_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Man I'd be willing to see how well this turned out because I too am looking for a box for my colecovision (mine got destroyed in a move). I can't seem to find any for sale so if it turned out good maybe you'd be willing to make one and let me know what cost may be!!

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I only made the art for this one, but asked for someone else to print and assemble for me, as soon as I get the box, I'll post pictures of it ok? I have a different project with a vectrex box and that one I be in charge of every part of the process, meaning it would be cheaper. When I get all the cost numbers I can send you if you would like. And I would only charge you for the printing and shipping costs, I'm not interested on profiting from this. But the really cheaper way would be for me to send you the art in high definition and you find a decent place to print it in an adhesive paper (we call it vynil paper, the kind we use it in Brazil) and buy some large cardboard and assemble yourself, it's supposed to be pretty simple and basic. And I'll glady assist you through the process.

• Like 1

Hello everybody!! I'm starting a project for the module boxes. If any collector who owns the boxes from the modules #2 and #3 could be so kind to post some pictures of the sides of boxes and some of the dimensions (like Igallair did on my vectrex post http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263026-vectrex-console-box-and-dimensions/),I'll be forever thankful and pot the results for whomever want to use it. If there's any interest at all I can send the art in photoshop format so people could enjoy maximum definition and add or change whatever it is you like or dislike about the box.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Hello everybody. I already have two topics and different forums but with the same theme. Replica console boxes. I wrote on both Vectrex and 3DO forums asking for pictures and dimensions of the system (console) boxes because I don't have any of them and can't find empty boxes to sell. As I said there I'm not a die hard collector and only wish to have my consoles stored in a neat way. So I'm starting projects to design those replica boxes, but it's been very hard to find nice and clean pictures of all the sides of the boxes, and even the correct dimensions of them. In the Vectrex section, one good soul (Igallair) helped me and I'm posting the progress on the forum so if there's anyone who might be interested in it can comment and help me improve before I turn them into a real box. I don't have the intention to fool anyone into thinking they're original, but I'm trying to make them as accurate as possible. So why am I writing in the ColecoVision forum? Because I got the dimensions in some other forum and could gather enough pictures to make a box, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are correct and there's one thing or two that can be improved. I'm posting the pictures of what I got so far and would love if someone could comment or even send me more pictures and the so hard to find dimension. I will also start a project afterwards on the styrofoam replica, so if anybody would be willing to send pictures (those pictures are impossible to find anywhere) I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks.

I cant imagine how this would be remotely cost effective to just buying the boxes, or system with box...but I admire your passion.

Hey Yurkie, thank you very much!!!!

And actually the cost of making a box is not so high. Let me show you what it's costing me. Printing in adhesive material (60,00 reais) and I chose to print in another city because I couldn't find a decent place in my hometown that would print in a quality of my satisfaction. Shipping cost of the print (20,00 reais) and the cardboard to apply it, cut and fold (10,00 reais). Total 90,00 reais, which is around 30 dollars. (If I print in my hometown, the cost would drop to 60,00 reais). I can't find anywhere to buy the boxes in Brazil, and when I do it's not less than 150,00 reais. When I find it in ebay, the shipping costs and then the import fees are unbelievable. There's a guy that sells replica boxes, and he charges 80,00 reais for them.

This might sound like a strange question but have you ever considered making mini versions of your box replicas? That is something I would love to have in my collection. A nice assortment of mini replica boxes for all the classic game consoles.

BTW, you do amazing work.

Actually, that's a great idea. Which size were you thinking? I could easily build one with thick paper and post the picture for you to see. If you think it looks ok, I could send you the prints, or what would be cheaper, I'd send you the art and you could do it at home.

And thanks for the compliment!!!

I'm trying to use this talent to give back to the community.

• Like 2

That actually *is* a good idea - I'd collect those for display as well. My vote would be for something really small, like something you could hold in your hand. If you got a bunch of them, you could stack them in a little pyramid on a shelf or something.

I feel like you could sell these on Ebay and you'd probably sell more than a full size replica box. I feel like people who want a full size box want an original box; those are the real completists. But lots of other people might want a mini-box just because it's cute and they could collect a whole bunch of them. Depending on the price, I'm sure I'd buy all of them that you made!

• Like 2

That actually *is* a good idea - I'd collect those for display as well. My vote would be for something really small, like something you could hold in your hand. If you got a bunch of them, you could stack them in a little pyramid on a shelf or something.

I feel like you could sell these on Ebay and you'd probably sell more than a full size replica box. I feel like people who want a full size box want an original box; those are the real completists. But lots of other people might want a mini-box just because it's cute and they could collect a whole bunch of them. Depending on the price, I'm sure I'd buy all of them that you made!

Thanks spacecadet!! But I could never charge money for those... It doesn't feel right... But I'll gladly send some to you if you'd pay the shipping costs. Or like I always say I could send you the finished art and all you'd have to do is print and fold...

• Like 2

I'm very interested in this, either as a finished product or even if I have to have it printed myself. Cool project! :thumbsup:

The ColecoVision box art project is ready, not we enter the phase in which i build a prototype, then I'll post the picture of it, we get our feedbacks and improve ou deprove something here or there. Then the last step is to assemble the final version, with the proper material. Then it will be ready. The only real difficult problem I found, replicating the ColecoVision box was that All the information I took was through fishing in the internet. I wasn't posting desperately on forums begging for help and information yet like Jimmy Wales from Wikipedia when they are running low on money.. So I gathered all the info I could through google, found the dimensions in some obscure forum and created it by heart. So, to sum it up, the first part of the project, which is designing the art is done. And if someone would want the files, please ask me at my email lebiagi@me.com cause it's available now. I have the faces separated because I couldn't get a hold on an actual box to see exactly how it was folded, but from the photos a assumed it was like tha Atari 7800 which I have and I put the pieces together like that. But i have all the separated files too and even the .psd files if you would want to edit to add or subtract something before production.

All you have to do is contact me and I'll send you the art for you to take phase 2 and 3 on your own hands. I'll be more than happy to help in all processes. It will be a new thing for me because I'm yet to get to phase 3 on my first box myself, but it would be an adventure...

So SiLic0ne t0aD85, after all this text, the answer is. The art is ready and if you'd like me to send you please give me your email or write to me on mine lebiagi@me.com

Thanks for the support

• Like 2

I'd be interested in buying a replica box if they turn out ok. I'm very much not artistic nor tech saavy so for me to do any type of printing or the like would be a pathetic attempt on my part! But if that isn't an option I'll still scour the internet loning for someone that is willing to sell a box!!!

I'd be interested in buying a replica box if they turn out ok. I'm very much not artistic nor tech saavy so for me to do any type of printing or the like would be a pathetic attempt on my part! But if that isn't an option I'll still scour the internet loning for someone that is willing to sell a box!!!

I'll keep you informed when I get the box ok? This one I asked for a third party to built for me, and if it turns out ok, I'll let you know. And about buying, when I get the dimensions and weight of the box I ask at the post office how much would it cost to send it to you and I'll charge you just the price of shipping, printing and the cardboard, ok?

• Like 1

The ColecoVision box art project is ready, not we enter the phase in which i build a prototype, then I'll post the picture of it, we get our feedbacks and improve ou deprove something here or there. Then the last step is to assemble the final version, with the proper material. Then it will be ready. The only real difficult problem I found, replicating the ColecoVision box was that All the information I took was through fishing in the internet. I wasn't posting desperately on forums begging for help and information yet like Jimmy Wales from Wikipedia when they are running low on money.. So I gathered all the info I could through google, found the dimensions in some obscure forum and created it by heart. So, to sum it up, the first part of the project, which is designing the art is done. And if someone would want the files, please ask me at my email lebiagi@me.com cause it's available now. I have the faces separated because I couldn't get a hold on an actual box to see exactly how it was folded, but from the photos a assumed it was like tha Atari 7800 which I have and I put the pieces together like that. But i have all the separated files too and even the .psd files if you would want to edit to add or subtract something before production.

All you have to do is contact me and I'll send you the art for you to take phase 2 and 3 on your own hands. I'll be more than happy to help in all processes. It will be a new thing for me because I'm yet to get to phase 3 on my first box myself, but it would be an adventure...

So SiLic0ne t0aD85, after all this text, the answer is. The art is ready and if you'd like me to send you please give me your email or write to me on mine lebiagi@me.com

Thanks for the support

Do you need pictures of the inside of a ColecoVision box so you can see how it's folded? I have a couple boxes. Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Do you need pictures of the inside of a ColecoVision box so you can see how it's folded? I have a couple boxes.

Sure!!! It would be great!!! And if you don't mind sending a couple from the outside so I can fix one thing or two, I would be forever thankful. Do you have any of the module boxes (#2 and #3)?

Sure!!! It would be great!!! And if you don't mind sending a couple from the outside so I can fix one thing or two, I would be forever thankful. Do you have any of the module boxes (#2 and #3)?

Sure, I can do that for you. I have a boxed expansion module #1 and the roller controller, but not a boxed driving controller. Everything is in descent shape, other than the roller controller box. However I could do pics of the inside on that at least if it would help you. We should probably continue this via Pm though, I'll send you a message here shortly or feel free to send me one. :)

Sure, I can do that for you. I have a boxed expansion module #1 and the roller controller, but not a boxed driving controller. Everything is in descent shape, other than the roller controller box. However I could do pics of the inside on that at least if it would help you. We should probably continue this via Pm though, I'll send you a message here shortly or feel free to send me one. :)

Sent!!!

Update on the mini replica boxes!!! I printed some on a thick paper and they turned out amazing already, It also helped me see the problems I might have with the big ones. The first attempt was almost perfect, I think by the second one we'll have something to offer. I added an extra picture with some of my other projects.

Thanks again to all for the support.

(The forum keeps on turning my pictures sideways and I don't know how to fix it, sorry about that)

(I'm also posting almost the same topic on the other systems forums, but the difference will be the pictures, which will be the respective ones)

post-50438-0-91169100-1490755902_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-74068200-1490755907_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-08278800-1490755912_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-73874700-1490755916_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-06707400-1490755921_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-92398000-1490755925_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of things to note...

1. When it comes to a replica box, I'm going to be EXTREMELY picky as I personally would only want one if it was VERY close to the original box, like so close that it was hard to tell the difference.

2. Looking at the pictures of your mini box I notice a couple of things that would prevent me from buying the full-sized product:

3. The colors are very over-saturated and dark. (look at the blue on the Donkey Kong cabinet and the controller on the front and compare it to a real box)

4. You seem to have the background gray color close, not perfect enough for me to make a purchase, but it seems like you've also lost that "shine' that the original box has.

5. From the looks of it, it would appear these are being printed on very thin paper. I would hope the full-sized box would be printed on exactly the same thickness as the original box.

Again, sorry if I sound like I'm being overly critical, it's just that I feel this is one of those things that it needs to be PERFECT or it's something that shouldn't be done. Just my personal thoughts on this...

• Like 1