IGNORED

ColecoVision System box replica

Leonardo Biagi

A couple of things to note...

1. When it comes to a replica box, I'm going to be EXTREMELY picky as I personally would only want one if it was VERY close to the original box, like so close that it was hard to tell the difference.

2. Looking at the pictures of your mini box I notice a couple of things that would prevent me from buying the full-sized product:

3. The colors are very over-saturated and don't look right to me (look at the blue on the Donkey Kong cabinet and the controller on the front and compare it to a real box)

4. You seem to have the background gray color close, not perfect enough for me to make a purchase, but it seems like you've also lost that "shine' that the original box has.

5. From the looks of it, it would appear these are being printed on very thin paper. I would hope the full-sized box would be printed on exactly the same thickness as the original box.

Again, sorry if I sound like I'm being overly critical, it's just that I feel this is one of those things that it needs to be PERFECT or it's something that shouldn't be done. Just my personal thoughts on this...

Hi TPR, thank you for that.

I don't know if you've read the previous posts, but I think exactly like you.

Here are some information about this project specifically.

My original idea was to make a replica box (the large one) since I don't have one and can't find any to buy. It was a personal project and that's why I came to the forum, to ask for pictures and dimensons for it (hence the topic).

These ones that we are looking at, I made from pics I gathered from the net guerilla style. You can see that I didn't use any pictures from the original box. Even the console itself is a different one. But now, I'm getting help from our fellow member Todd ( SiLic0ne t0aD85) who is going to send me some actual pictures and actual dimensions, so I can fix it.

Then some people suggested that I make mini boxes since I'll already have the art for my big box.

I never had or have the intention to sell wheter the big or small one. But there's been some interest and I'm reporting to those who manifested it. If people would want me to send them only the art or the final product, it's their decision, and if I'm to charge anything is the cost of the box and the shipping, for those who have two left hands (as they say).

I'm only making it and myself available with whatever I can do to help, since people has been very helpful to me, and that's the sense of a community right?

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, and If you could be a little more specific with your ideas (I mean post the correct colors, for example), or even throw some new ones so we can make it better, I'll be more than thankful. That's why I came to this forum, to get all the help I can.

A couple of things to note...

1. When it comes to a replica box, I'm going to be EXTREMELY picky as I personally would only want one if it was VERY close to the original box, like so close that it was hard to tell the difference.

2. Looking at the pictures of your mini box I notice a couple of things that would prevent me from buying the full-sized product:

3. The colors are very over-saturated and dark. (look at the blue on the Donkey Kong cabinet and the controller on the front and compare it to a real box)

4. You seem to have the background gray color close, not perfect enough for me to make a purchase, but it seems like you've also lost that "shine' that the original box has.

5. From the looks of it, it would appear these are being printed on very thin paper. I would hope the full-sized box would be printed on exactly the same thickness as the original box.

Again, sorry if I sound like I'm being overly critical, it's just that I feel this is one of those things that it needs to be PERFECT or it's something that shouldn't be done. Just my personal thoughts on this...

Ditto, but still great and much appreciated effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JustinMSalvato and ValkerieSilk. And now for an update. I'm having real problems finding a piece of cardboard anywhere in my city that fits the size, without already being folded (and not the right way for us) or that I have to join together more than once. And that's not the way I want to do it. And all this to add to the fact that the printing places here also lack from the quality I'm looking. So I've been quiet because of that, but I'm still searching.

And I'm working on three more box projects and soon we'll have more mini boxes.

And I'd like to remind everyone interested in the mini boxes that the files are already available upon request so people can print at their own printing places (or homes) and that's the cheaper way. If people still want me to send the printed paper or even the box itself (the mini boxes I mean), It's a little heavy on the pocket. Talking at the post office, they informed me that for posting to Europe (I forgot to ask a quote for the USA) is around 35 euros. Thanks again to all for the support.

This will be basically the same message in all the forums where people've been helping, commenting and requesting.

• Like 1

Thanks JustinMSalvato and ValkerieSilk. And now for an update. I'm having real problems finding a piece of cardboard anywhere in my city that fits the size, without already being folded (and not the right way for us) or that I have to join together more than once. And that's not the way I want to do it. And all this to add to the fact that the printing places here also lack from the quality I'm looking. So I've been quiet because of that, but I'm still searching.

And I'm working on three more box projects and soon we'll have more mini boxes.

And I'd like to remind everyone interested in the mini boxes that the files are already available upon request so people can print at their own printing places (or homes) and that's the cheaper way. If people still want me to send the printed paper or even the box itself (the mini boxes I mean), It's a little heavy on the pocket. Talking at the post office, they informed me that for posting to Europe (I forgot to ask a quote for the USA) is around 35 euros. Thanks again to all for the support.

This will be basically the same message in all the forums where people've been helping, commenting and requesting.

PM Pixelboy, he is getting his full size boxes made up, I believe, in Europe somewhere and sent to him in Montreal

PM Pixelboy, he is getting his full size boxes made up, I believe, in Europe somewhere and sent to him in Montreal

Really? I'll contact him to get the info then, and this probably will be cheaper than anything I find, as incredible as it may seems.

Thanks a lot adamcon, this is really helpful, can't thank you enough.

• 3 months later...

I love the idea of mini boxes. I would love to display mini versions of all the Colecovision hardware boxes...

Hi SHaMROCK 73, how are you? Did you see I already have the box? You mentioned you have hardware boxes for the colecovision. Would you be willing to share some pics and measurements of them so I can make the replica boxes of them as well? I would send you the art for the minibox through regular email already cut, so you just have to fold and glue them. I'd send them free of charge of course. And you choose any extra boxes at leonardobiagi.imgur.com. And as you are aware, I do requests as well.

All the best from Brazil and thank you for your time

Leonardo

That actually *is* a good idea - I'd collect those for display as well. My vote would be for something really small, like something you could hold in your hand. If you got a bunch of them, you could stack them in a little pyramid on a shelf or something.

I feel like you could sell these on Ebay and you'd probably sell more than a full size replica box. I feel like people who want a full size box want an original box; those are the real completists. But lots of other people might want a mini-box just because it's cute and they could collect a whole bunch of them. Depending on the price, I'm sure I'd buy all of them that you made!

Hi spacecadet, are you following the progress of the miniboxes project? I already have a bunch at leonardobiagi.imgur.com and I'm willing to send them free of charge for you guys from tephe forum who are helping me. So if younare interested, please tel me so through pm and send me your physical address and we'll have it done.

All the best

Leonardo

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 3:32 PM, Leonardo Biagi said:

Actually, that's a great idea. Which size were you thinking? I could easily build one with thick paper and post the picture for you to see. If you think it looks ok, I could send you the prints, or what would be cheaper, I'd send you the art and you could do it at home.

And thanks for the compliment!!!

I'm trying to use this talent to give back to the community.

Leonardo !!

came across this thread 

did you have any luck creating a box for the colecovision?

Thanks judge 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2017 at 2:14 AM, Leonardo Biagi said:

Hello everybody. I already have two topics and different forums but with the same theme. Replica console boxes. I wrote on both Vectrex and 3DO forums asking for pictures and dimensions of the system (console) boxes because I don't have any of them and can't find empty boxes to sell. As I said there I'm not a die hard collector and only wish to have my consoles stored in a neat way. So I'm starting projects to design those replica boxes, but it's been very hard to find nice and clean pictures of all the sides of the boxes, and even the correct dimensions of them. In the Vectrex section, one good soul (Igallair) helped me and I'm posting the progress on the forum so if there's anyone who might be interested in it can comment and help me improve before I turn them into a real box. I don't have the intention to fool anyone into thinking they're original, but I'm trying to make them as accurate as possible. So why am I writing in the ColecoVision forum? Because I got the dimensions in some other forum and could gather enough pictures to make a box, but I'm not sure if the dimensions are correct and there's one thing or two that can be improved. I'm posting the pictures of what I got so far and would love if someone could comment or even send me more pictures and the so hard to find dimension. I will also start a project afterwards on the styrofoam replica, so if anybody would be willing to send pictures (those pictures are impossible to find anywhere) I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks.

post-50438-0-93566000-1489371194_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-52736900-1489371216_thumb.jpg

post-50438-0-44872700-1489371231_thumb.jpg

hey - i make reproduction console game boxes and was thinking about doing the Colecovision console Box. Can you tell me where you go the hi-res pics from for your box please. thanks. michael
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/boxingatari

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...