IGNORED

PRGE (Portland Retro Gaming Expo) - Oct 20-22 in 2017

Lathe26

Guest LiqMat

I need to figure out what to do when I touchdown Thursday. Want to see at least one filming location in Portlandia, but I've no car. Hmm.

When I lived there, I lived a few blocks down from Carrie Brownstein's house, but Portland locals leave the celebs the hell alone. I would constantly see their crews blocking off streets to film for the day and none of the locals cared, but some would be annoyed the street was blocked. LOL If you have ever lived in Portland most of the side streets are so narrow they should be one way and they are not with cars parked on either side. Locals have learned how to be polite and let each other through. So explains the skit where Fred and Carrie are stopped at an intersection, both get out of their cars and each telling the other to go ahead. You have the narrow two way streets and tons of four way intersections without any sort of stop signs or signals. It's automobile anarchy. So many jokes in Portlandia are lost to most because they refer to local Portland references. Anyway, traveling around the city is easy. Portland has bike share stations, called Biketown, all over the city where you just swipe your credit card at the station. Portland is huge on bike traffic. They have designed and are still redesigning the city around bikes and not cars. 5pm rush hour has a huge amount of bikes everyday so you have to be careful. I highly recommend going through the city using Sandy Blvd. and other east/west arteries and avoid all the interstate roads which are usually very clogged. Portland is a freakin backroad maze so use GPS a lot, but you will get around a lot faster avoiding the interstate roads usually, but not always.

Biketown:

https://www.biketownpdx.com/

They also have one the best and most extensive light rail systems in the country. It will take you to most parts of the city and its neighborhoods.

https://trimet.org/max/

They also have an extensive Car2go network which is quite awesome.

https://www.car2go.com/US/en/portland/

I am not going this year because I am stuck down here in Florida helping an elderly family member and donating and selling off the last of my retro collection from storage (which is taking some time, but almost done), but if anyone staying more than a few days wants to know some great things to do while you are there I would be glad to recommend some the best eateries and bars. Just PM me. I can tell you some of the coolest places in Portland are owned by the McMenamin family. They have bought up tons of historical properties and converted them into amazing hotels, pubs, concert halls, theaters, etc. There is nothing like what they do in the country and I have traveled all over the U.S. many times by automobile exploring. One of their properties is an old turn of the century poor farm, which they call Edgefield, which is now an outdoor concert area, multiple bars and pubs, a hotel and so much more to explore all on one large historical property. I was walking on the property and saw this weird little hut that looked like it was half buried with a door like something out of Lord of the Rings and I thought it was just a weird little abandoned building, but I opened the little door to see and inside was a tiny dark little pub with a guy behind a bar and he just waved at us to come in. It's weird cool stuff like this the McMenamin family is known for. Also make sure to check out their Kennedy School Hotel. It's a century old elementary school converted into a hotel with multiple pubs, the playground has a pool length hot tub and they even converted the partial underground boiler room into one of the most amazing pubs you have ever seen with pipes everywhere. You can even stay in rooms that were once classrooms. They also converted the school auditorium into a state of the art movie theater that has first run movies and are free to guests and $4 for visitors. We would just visit and use their facilities for the day which they encourage. It's a blast.

The Boiler Room at Kennedy School:

https://www.mcmenamins.com/kennedy-school/boiler-room

Check out their main website and explore all of their historical properties:

McMenamin's main website:

https://www.mcmenamins.com

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 2

Yes! Aligned my work schedule and can now confirm that I will attend. Hotel and airfare have been booked. Look forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

I'm staying at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Convention Center.

Edited by sramirez2008

I'm on the fence about going this year due to finances. What's the latest 11th hour anyone has successfully attended? In other words, if I only discover I can afford it but not until Oct 1st should I forget trying to get a hotel at that point?

I've booked my hotel with a couple of days to a week before and found rooms. :)

• Like 1

I'm on the fence about going this year due to finances. What's the latest 11th hour anyone has successfully attended? In other words, if I only discover I can afford it but not until Oct 1st should I forget trying to get a hotel at that point?

Book at hotel now.

Just confirm their cancelation policy.

Most have a 24 hour limit prior notice, some are more, so you can book now and cancel in Oct if you discover that you cannot go.

Frank

What system?

5200. Didn't notice this was an Intellivision forum until after I posted that. Still, thoughts of Intellivision Super Pro Curling have crossed my mind from time to time...

Intellivision PBA Bowling was a huge influence on how designed the game, so I guess there's a connection there.

5200. Didn't notice this was an Intellivision forum until after I posted that. Still, thoughts of Intellivision Super Pro Curling have crossed my mind from time to time...

As a Canadian, yes please to Inty SP Curling. :)

That's awesome, I hadn't heard of this, do you have a WIP bin to try or pics and video of the game?

I've been blogging the development process here on the forums. I made a very simple "shooting demo" release at one point (it's attached to one of those blog entries) but it's very primitive and not particularly interesting. I plan to do another ROM posting after I meet my goals for PRGE. I do have an open Subversion code repository (link is in the first blog entry) and if you're development savvy you can check out the code and build it yourself anytime. The code frequently has weird debug stuff in it, though, so don't be surprised to see some weird stuff.

As a Canadian, yes please to Inty SP Curling. :)

The trick is finding a good "pre-name" like so many of the Super Pro games have, like Chip Shot, Slam Dunk, Body Slam, etc.

Hurry Hard! Super Pro Curling is the most obvious name, but there may be better ones.

I should emphasize that I've never done Intellivision development, but I was a huge fan of the system in the 80s and I've considered jumping into it at some point. Super Pro Curling might be a good first project, but it's really hard to compete with all those great sports game on the system.