IGNORED

You can't get more biased...

Most of his videos are pretty good; not everyone knows the Atari 8-bit as well as we do :). This is now also one of his older videos - he's gotten a bit better over time. English is not his native language also.

In this video he does get the Jay Miner part correctly; similarities to the Amiga, etc. the A8 picture quality does need some mods to look best.

Maybe I'm a fanboy of his channel - but his video seems OK?

• Like 1

I've been following his channel for awhile and he does some really good game reviews. He is the only guy on YT that does lets compare videos on real hardware, he refuses to do comparisons on emulators.

He does admit in his videos that he may be biased towards the c64 in some ways because that's the system he grew up with however, I don't think there's anything wrong with his view on the Atari.

• Like 2

I've been following his channel for awhile and he does some really good game reviews. He is the only guy on YT that does lets compare videos on real hardware, he refuses to do comparisons on emulators.

He does admit in his videos that he may be biased towards the c64 in some ways because that's the system he grew up with however, I don't think there's anything wrong with his view on the Atari.

Agreed. Good videos. He pointed out enough good things about Atari and didn't say anything really bad about it.

I'ts normal that he has bias towards Commodore. Feeling the same over here. Grew up with c128 and nothing can replace that feeling of growing up with that machine in corner of the room waiting for you to get back from school :)

I bet people growing up with Atari feel the same towards their machine.

• Like 3

For some, the war will never be truly behind us... :(

• Like 1

There are several problem I see with his analysis.

On the Atari, he doesn't mention programmers can overcome what appears to be much more limited sprite hardware, but he mentions how easy the C64 can put additional sprites on screen. What is a DLI interrupt? I guess he doesn't know and he skips the part where the hardware can automatically change the color palette without CPU intervention once you set up the display list. Without seeing the actual results that are possible, you would think Atari graphics were limited to what you see in early titles like basketball but maybe with a few more colors. And those chrome function keys are not so good... because clearly, you constantly use those and you need them to be regular keys?

He also seems to skip talking about some of the issues the C64 has. If you are going for lots of full screen color and animation rather than just hardware sprites, you have to use character oriented graphics and then you have to deal with color clash... which he never mentions. It's also much slower for bitmapped graphics where you draw lines (vector type graphics) due to the character oriented memory layout, and there is no mention of the horribly slow disk drive transfer speeds from the factory. But it has SVideo!

No significant comparison of BASIC or DOS, just that Atari has commands that support sprites and sound... wait... what??? Sprites? And where is the mention that the C64 has NO commands for anything graphic or sound related whatsoever. Oh yeah, the Atari has a couple more commands from the sound of that. To which I say, DRAW A LINE.
Atari BASIC has it's problems, but come on, this is one of it's major strengths over the C64 and it's only mentioned briefly in passing like it's not a big deal.

All it takes is a slightly different tone and a few omissions to bias the comparison. You come away with a much more negative impression of the Atari than it deserves even if his assessment really isn't wrong. The function keys aren't just "not regular keys", they are "not so good".

It's not a horrible comparison, but it does appear to be biased. I'm not sure about "you can't get more biased"... because I've seen more biased. But it is definitely biased.

Before I'll get hit by friendly fire, here

my "more serious" suggestions.

a) write him, or at least point him to this discussion. He speaks english, he should be able to understand. He doesnt look like the devil himselve, nor he talk like that. Maybe he just doesnt know better.

b) make your own YT-channel. And tell him ;)

Stefan

• Like 1

Before I'll get hit by friendly fire, here

my "more serious" suggestions.

a) write him, or at least point him to this discussion. He speaks english, he should be able to understand. He doesnt look like the devil himselve, nor he talk like that. Maybe he just doesnt know better.

b) make your own YT-channel. And tell him ;)

Stefan

Look at the replies on youtube. He argues with anyone that disagrees. His bias is much more obvious there.

the guy is completely biased and you recognize it over time.... it is a pattern.... I don't think he realizes the Amiga is the Atari's successor... Just put a C= on it and it is wunderbar! is somehow besser in some vays!

at least he gives some credit to it's creativity though!

He is warming up to the Atari slowly maybe in another 15 years he'll be a convert!

Edited by _The Doctor__

the guy is completely biased and you recognize it over time.... it is a pattern.... I don't think he realizes the Amiga is the Atari's successor... Just put a C= on it and it is wunderbar! is somehow besser in some vays!

Who cares. If you like to raise your blood pressure read this thread from the beginning till end: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/134852-atari-v-commodore/

• Like 1

Without this thread, I'd never seen a single

clip of him. I don't mind at all, but I also

did not expect to see the computer wars

still active...

I'm happy to have all the systems A and C,

8 and 16/32 bit ... it's totally different

to play / work with, but I have the same fun.

My opinion is, our world has bigger problems

to solve. I would not even have the time to

run my own YT cannel.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both
  • Like 4

What is a DLI interrupt? I guess he doesn't know and he skips the part where the hardware can automatically change the color palette without CPU intervention once you set up the display list.

If I don't miss anything, I don't think that is possible. The DLI interrupts the CPU and it in turn modifies the colors.

I think the word "biased" is kind of strange in this situation. The guy clearly owns all these machines, he bought them himself, and now he's making a video sharing his opinions on them. "Bias" and "opinion" aren't the same thing. People throw around the word "bias" because they think it's a bad word that discredits whoever they're talking about, when really what's going on here is just that he has an opinion that you disagree with.

YouTube is a great thing because anyone can make a channel and share their videos. If you don't like his opinions, you can make your own channel and share your opinions instead. If you make coherent arguments, more people will agree with you and subscribe to your channel. But I can't see what a post like this is supposed to accomplish.

• Like 2