IGNORED

Frogger...still froggin awesome!

It's good to find somewhere dedicated to Atari and classic games in general - I had no idea this wonderful site existed!

Anyway, apologies for the poor pun...and the slightly odd topic, but something pulled me back towards Frogger at the weekend. It been had years - perhaps as many as twenty - since I'd last played the game, but once I started playing, it was very difficult to stop. I was - as anyone who watches the video will see - very very bad at it. But, here's the thing...the design is so good, I really didn't mind having to endlessly retry, and as soon as I have a bit more time - probably the weekend now - I'm going to get back to it.

Can anyone guide me as to where to head next? Is there anything Frogger-like that I should be aware of? I'd hugely appreciate help and guidance with my return to the classics:)

Here's my dreadful Frogger skills for all to see:)

https://youtu.be/cuCwfgD5-FA

Back in the day, Activision made a Frogger-type game called "FREEWAY" for the Atari 2600. It's based on the old saying "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

You may want to check that one out.

~ Ash

Here is the commercial...

https://youtu.be/hsnNxnGowcg

Edited by Tales from the Game Room
  • Like 1

I’m not going to be Captain Obvious and bother mentioning games like Q*Bert.

From your video, looks like you’ve got MAME up and running, so with that in mind, here are some lesser-known titles you might like:

Jumping Jack – not really like Frogger, except that it revolves around a play mechanic of discrete “hops” to a destination. Very addictive once you start to get the flow down.

The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea – this game has 4 different screens with different objectives, and each screen is a blatant rip-off of a more well-known classic. Frogger is one of the games from which F. Lea borrows liberally; Donkey Kong and Jungle Hunt are others.

• Like 1

Can anyone guide me as to where to head next? Is there anything Frogger-like that I should be aware of? I'd hugely appreciate help and guidance with my return to the classics:)

Did you know there's a portable Atari VCS? And that it includes a version of arcade Frogger, and you can load the ROM of old Atari VCS Frogger from Parker Brothers onto an SD card?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

• Like 1

Thanks for all of these suggestions, guys! I was going to try some of the modern (and, I suspect, disastrous) 'reimaginings' of Frogger at the weekend, but I think I'lll have a much better time with these games!

I had Frogger running on MAME4Droid, Cynicaster. I run MAME4Droid on the Nvidia Shield TV, which is an emulation powerhouse! I'm determinded to get a real cabinet one day, though;-)

Edited by Bobbety_F
  • Like 1

Did you know there's a portable Atari VCS? And that it includes a version of arcade Frogger, and you can load the ROM of old Atari VCS Frogger from Parker Brothers onto an SD card?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

I had no idea there was a portable VCS!!...and it's a decent price too. There's this year's 'Easter Egg' sorted out...that's if I can actually wait a few more weeks;-)

• Like 1