IGNORED

Loaner Cartridge.. Fake or the real deal ?

jonnyangl

Hi Tempest

I am new here and did not know where to post this type of question. I just started collecting for the Atari and did notice that people are selling repos and trying to pass the off as the original. For example,, i have read online that the Pepsi Invaders game that was made has no label or box made for it but I have seen people on Ebay trying to sell them as originals for a large sum of money. So hard to tell what is an original and what was a professional reproduction. I just googled images for Pepsi Invaders and look at what i have come up with .. even Prototype cartridges.. one looks fake because of the squared label..

Since i am a newbie collector, i dont want to be fleeced by an ebay scammer selling repos as the genuine article. thanks for helping out guys :)

John

post-52921-0-14916100-1489598791_thumb.jpg

post-52921-0-95192300-1489598791_thumb.png

post-52921-0-97814300-1489598792_thumb.jpg

post-52921-0-70716500-1489598793_thumb.jpg

post-52921-0-25585800-1489598794_thumb.jpg

The Pepsi-Coke pictures (second and fifth) are interesting. The loaner label and end label (the black labels) look authentic, but the white labels on them are modern fakes (wrong size, wrong font, and real Atari protos don't have end labels or actually say 'Prototype' on them). It looks like someone took a real lab loaner and stuck fake labels on it. The third and fourth pictures are modern reproductions.

We do have a prototype forum, so I'll move this thread there.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tempest

I am new here and did not know where to post this type of question. I just started collecting for the Atari and did notice that people are selling repos and trying to pass the off as the original. For example,, i have read online that the Pepsi Invaders game that was made has no label or box made for it but I have seen people on Ebay trying to sell them as originals for a large sum of money. So hard to tell what is an original and what was a professional reproduction. I just googled images for Pepsi Invaders and look at what i have come up with .. even Prototype cartridges.. one looks fake because of the squared label..

Since i am a newbie collector, i dont want to be fleeced by an ebay scammer selling repos as the genuine article. thanks for helping out guys :)

John

I would say #5 is fake. At best a proto with a fake label. The only real looking one is #1