IGNORED

Capcom announces The Disney Afternoon Collection

Atariboy

The new Digital Eclipse project was just revealed. Some classic NES games will finally be rereleased in a bundle.

SAN FRANCISCO — March 15, 2017 — Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced The Disney Afternoon Collection, a compilation of six games that feature beloved Disney TV characters from the 80s and 90s in fun-filled adventures. The beautifully restored classic games feature crisp 1080p HD support and include all-new modes that can be enjoyed by first-time players and long-time fans. The Disney Afternoon Collection will be available as a digital download across North America and Europe for $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99 starting on April 18, 2017 on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC.

Players will be able to relive their childhood afternoons with Disney and explore these pieces of gaming history with classics including:

Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers – This classic lets players team up with a friend in co-op play as they assume the roles of the mischievous Chip and Dale as they take on memorable villain Fat Cat and attempt to solve the mystery of a missing kitten.

Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 – Fat Cat has escaped and his plans are even more dastardly this time. The titular heroes and supporting cast Monterey Jack, Gadget, and Zipper must stop Fat Cat from his evil dream of world domination!

Darkwing Duck – Play as the original caped crusader and fight a city full of criminals from the infamous F.O.W.L. organization in this action-packed platforming epic.

DuckTales – In this iconic platforming adventure, players help Scrooge McDuck fill his feathery pockets with vast riches from across the world.

DuckTales 2 – The sequel to the original game comes jam-packed with more action and an even bigger caper set in new locations like the Bermuda Triangle and Niagara Falls!

TaleSpin – Take to the skies as Baloo the bear navigates his plane through exotic and dangerous locations in this side-scrolling shoot-em-up.

All six games are new and improved HD versions of the originals and feature a number of filtering options that replicate a classic retro look and feel. This collection also offers new ways to play with Boss Rush and Time Attack modes for each game. In Boss Rush mode, players battle through challenging boss encounters consecutively, while Time Attack mode encourages time-based gameplay and provides online leaderboards that track the fastest times for each game. A new “Rewind” feature makes these challenging titles more accessible for newcomers, with the option to rewind time and enjoy a swift recovery from blunders. Additionally, the in-game Disney Museum will provide history buffs with a wealth of content to celebrate the era of the original releases, such as concept art, advertisements, character art, and music – all preserved in their original glory.

Sadly, no word on a retail release like Mega Man Legacy Collection had (Or of a 3DS or Switch release of these Nintendo classics; Would be nice to see these at least hit the Virtual Console as standalone downloads if they won't bring the compilation to Nintendo systems, but not holding my breath).

Still, it's nice to see Digital Eclipse and Code Mystics/AtGames keeping the classic gaming compilation genre alive.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 5

Comments on Capcom's page include "twenty bucks? Too expensive!" and "waaah, I want it on physical media." :roll:

This isn't my thing (I was a teenager when Duck Tales was big so I have no nostalgia for it), but I like seeing the return of old licensed games. I think this is to Disney's credit, especially since they're doing similar things with Star Wars. I like.

$20 isn't too much but complaining about it not being physical is fair. I can see the expectation considering the pedigree of it, and also how that wayforward Duck Tales went from rental status into real media. I find it stunning this isn't listing also Nintendo as that makes absolutely no sense, they ARE fucking NINTENDO GAMES. They're 1080 filtering 6 classic NES gems. Either Nintendo is holding back an announcement or something rotten is afoot especially considering the news out there how closely Nintendo had Capcom working with them in how the Switch was designed in some ways. Mind blowing, seriously. I already have DT1+2, Darkwing Duck, and C&DRR1. Talespin was pretty poor, and the other RR title is just too expensive to pop for.

It makes a lot of sense them doing this. Easy money. It's another 6 game NES package like with Mega Man and the engine used was basically a retooled mega man anyway on them. Also in months from now Duck Tales is being reborn on Disney XD as a new series, so it's promo bait.

• Like 1

They're games that were licensed to run on a Nintendo system, but they're Capcom games with Disney characters. Just like when they put Super Star Wars on the Sony Playstation 4/Vita and never mentioned Super Nintendo.

Maybe they'll cut in Nintendo if/when they put these on a Nintendo system. Switch seems most likely.

• Like 1

Obviously they're licensed games, who said they weren't? It's just an oddity that something that would likely sell on a Nintendo format being they were licensed NES games gets the rub...if they have. It could be just like Mega Man Legacy Collection where it comes out just a bit later. No one could make the sane argument without any market data or history to back it up it could or couldn't sell well on the Switch. How good or bad did that MM package on 3DS do? I mean I'm sure it didn't do the best given they released it notably later cutting into potential sales, but I doubt it was entirely ignored too.

The news was out there that Capcom helped in the development of the Switch hardware to a degree. They encouraged the joycons coming into existence as well as beefing up the hardware further than Nintendo themselves intended. It's nothing new, they did the same with the 3DS bringing to life the circle pad for those Capcom titles (RE and Monster Hunter titles) which used it. https://www.nintendoprime.net/capcom-worked-closely-on-switch-hardware-development-resident-evil-7-engine-being-made-compatible/ Compacitive screen, adding more ram to the device, etc. can be attributed them so it would seem odd they'd give the Switch the blow off since they had a hand in it a bit in development.

By the way flojo I don't remember in the past you being like that but lately you've been kind of rude/snarky towards myself and quite a few others on here. Something wrong?

Obviously they're licensed games, who said they weren't?

By the way flojo I don't remember in the past you being like that but lately you've been kind of rude/snarky towards myself and quite a few others on here. Something wrong?

Settle down, Beavis.

• Like 4

Well, two things.

1. I'm kind of an asshole.

2. When you say things that to me seem like assumptions, not based in fact, or simply ignorant, I feel the need to respond. Because, #1.

• Like 7

Not the Capcom compilation that I would have hoped for... but I never owned any of these on NES so I'll probably buy.

With recent releases like the ACA Neo Geo titles for the Switch, the ADK Damashii collection on PS4, and now Disney Afternoon collection it's a busy spring for obscure retro gaming compilations.

Edited by boog

Comments on Capcom's page include "twenty bucks? Too expensive!" and "waaah, I want it on physical media." :roll:

I know, this is why I hate "gamers" compaired to people who actually play video games instead of bitching about them online...

This isn't my thing (I was a teenager when Duck Tales was big so I have no nostalgia for it), but I like seeing the return of old licensed games. I think this is to Disney's credit, especially since they're doing similar things with Star Wars. I like.

Same here, but don't think those Capcom/Disney games are "just for kids" because they are not only Nintendo Hard but actually fun. I learned that playing Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers at someone's house and I hated the cartoon show... ;)

• Like 1

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT............................WAIT! So, let me get this straight. All of these classic Capcom games that was first came out on THE Nintendo NES and yet they are going to come out on Sony PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC? But No Switch????

AVGN: WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!

It's a fantastic package. I always tell people just getting into NES/SNES/Genny era gaming to keep an eye out for Disney titles, even if they're not Disney fans. Disney always hired the best developers and it shows in every game. I'd point someone toward this collection if they wanted to try some of the best games of the era. Don't think I'll be getting it myself, though. I don't have any of the systems in question, and I'd really like a physical release for anything over $15.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't bite on this, I like others was too old for these shows when they were hot at the time. That said I do have a memory of Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers game.

At the time it was released, older NES games were then commonly sold for $9.99, but the newest games were more like $49.99. Toys R Us kept all the actual games locked up tighter than fort knox, remember when you had to take the ticket up to bulletproof, plexiglass little rooms packed full of thousands of MIB video games!? I was at TrUs shopping for my little brothers birthday present. (He was about 9 at that time) I didn't have a whole lot of cash back then, so I was checking the aisles for something cheap when I saw a brand new, shrink wrapped Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. Being the crappy teen that I was, I snatched it up, stuck the cartridge into a bigger, cheaper boxed item from the clearance aisle and prayed I wouldn't get caught while paying. I didn't and my brother got that game for his birthday. I feel bad about it now, but I remember at the time thinking I was glad I got it so cheap, he beat it in like a day or two.

I do remember he loved it, and it having really decent graphics and gameplay for the time.

Loved these shows, and I have all the Duck Tales and Tale Spin DVD sets too. I hope this is just a start of what they release on much like how MML was staggered. The fact it has C&D Rescue Rangers 2 on it alone makes it worth the money to me as I never had nor dont currently either have that one. I own or have owned the other 5.

I love TaleSpin, the show. The games, not so much. I can't recall a single console game that made good use of the license... TaleSpin was crap on the NES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx, and never made it to the Super NES at all. It's perplexing to me, because the show's high-flying adventure seems like it would have translated extremely well to the video game format. Conversely, Goof Troop is considered one of the better Super NES games, and what was that series about? A dumb suburban father and his perpetually embarrassed son? How the hell do you make a good game out of THAT?!

You forgot the shoddy NES port to the Gameboy which was no better either. :)

Seriously though, at least they got the duck based ones right, and rescue rangers too. Those converted great. Talespin as a shooter was just so badly done with those screwy forward moving mechanics with the ability to flip the sea duck as it just didn't do well resulting in a lot of crushings and stupid senseless hits. They should have made it a partial horizontal shooter partial platformer, that would have been very nice, if not just a straight shooter that handled more actively than through molasses with bad control.