IGNORED

Mountain King advertisement has low charisma

Flojomojo

Interesting choice for a protagonist -- a 40-something balding, bespectacled man in a teal/pink polo shirt. Bob Balaban in a dungeon, hunting treasure. Tan socks, sensible shoes. I'm not saying it's a WRONG choice, as it's probably smarter to go after adults with money than the "cool kids" who can't pay forty bucks for a VCS game. This dude looks more like a "gamer" than the usual Boris Vallejo oiled-up bodybuilder types. He seems happy enough.

Props to Old Video Game Magazines tumblr for posting this. I always liked the game but never saw this ad before.

tumblr_oi0gfzFijA1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

• Like 4

Lol, I was actually sucked in by this very ad! :D Maybe not the protagonist, but the fact that it explained the concept of the game in that cartoon and made it sound interesting (for a 83/84 era game) Unlike most game ads of that era which just showed some screen shots and some gimmicks, rarely explaining why you'd actually want the game.

• Like 3

I remember it all to well as it was plastered all over the classic game mags back in the day. I remembered as a kid thinking, way to go douche bag, you go on an adventure and forget your backpack to hold all those diamonds? Lol. Look he is still struggling with them on like the 8th frame and then loses the crown... loser!

The guy's bald from the damn bats constantly grabbing his crown off his head... :mad:

Anyway, CBS Electronics had a nicer two page ad that actually explain all the stuff you need to do to play the game. At the time I thought it was something I wanted to play.

Here are some other ads from that same era. None of these would make me want to buy the games they are advertising.

What sold me on "Gateway to Apshai" was that it was the only RPG-style game available in cart form, but nothing in the ad left me with that impression. I only learned that from reading a review.

And was it really wise for these ads to use up to 80% of their space with kinda- pointless artwork or photograph, and just a tiny blurb on the games themselves?

post-50533-0-05980100-1490885864_thumb.jpg

post-50533-0-52928900-1490885878_thumb.jpg

post-50533-0-97637600-1490885894_thumb.jpg

post-50533-0-20940000-1490885906_thumb.jpg

post-50533-0-64353700-1490885911_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And was it really wise for these ads to use up to 80% of their space with kinda- pointless artwork or photograph, and just a tiny blurb on the games themselves?

That's the principle of advertising, get your attention. And at that time where a game was not just about graphics, a nice artwork is more catchy. I love the Infocom's one ! Even more obvious for them as they mostly don't have graphics to show :)

• Like 1

That's the principle of advertising, get your attention. And at that time where a game was not just about graphics, a nice artwork is more catchy. I love the Infocom's one ! Even more obvious for them as they mostly don't have graphics to show :)

Yeah but look at the Epyx one in particular. Sure I'll remember seeing the ad, but I won't remember who it was for. The pic tells me nothing about the game. Epyx in tiny type at the bottome. A small blurb about gameplay. The Datamost one? Can't even remember what games they are pushing except Mr. Robot. Same with the First Star one.. Four new exciting games! Wait, what games are they again?

I saw all these ads back in the day. The Mountain King one is the only one that actually sold me on a game. I eventually did own Gateway to Apshai and several Infocom titles, but it was in spite of these ads :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...